3. KU

4. Duke

5. Louisville

6. Florida

7. Maryland

8. Gonzaga

9. UNC

10. Villanova

11. Virginia, 13. Texas Tech (way too high), Baylor #16.

AP didn’t like anyone else in the Big-12

• KU at #3 seems a little heavy to me. A healthy Doke means top 10, but I don’t see anything to suggest that this team is significantly better than last season in other areas. Unless you think De Sousa is going to be a 15 and 10 guy, #3 is about 5 spots too high.

• @justanotherfan

Look at the teams in the Top 10 and their returning rosters and I don’t think you can find 8 better teams. College B-Ball is down in a big way and KU will field a Top 10 PG, Big Man and 5-6 other good complimentary pieces…

I understand the guarded approach here. KU was #1 to start the season last year and look how that worked out. Lots of things contributed to that. If KU has a healthy team for once I think they have a great chance to live up to expectation.

• justanotherfan said:

KU at #3 seems a little heavy to me. A healthy Doke means top 10, but I don’t see anything to suggest that this team is significantly better than last season in other areas. Unless you think De Sousa is going to be a 15 and 10 guy, #3 is about 5 spots too high.

Whooooooooa - -your way UNDER ESTIMATING KU - – I’m fine with right where they have us. - -Like has been stated so many times - - hardly anyone matching up with our frontcourt - - depth - top athletic point guard - -very legit NC - -8th like your talking is way to low. - - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BeddieKU23 said:

@justanotherfan

Look at the teams in the Top 10 and their returning rosters and I don’t think you can find 8 better teams. College B-Ball is down in a big way and KU will field a Top 10 PG, Big Man and 5-6 other good complimentary pieces…

You make a good point. I looked at some of the teams that are ranked and there appear to be a lot of okay teams, but not a single great one and only one or two that I would consider “really good.” You could probably scramble the teams from 3-10 and put them in just about any order.

KU doesn’t feel like a #3 team, but they might be the third best team in the country at 100%. I got so focused on KU and some of the holes they have that I didn’t realize that most teams in the country have even bigger holes, or at least some significant question marks.

• @justanotherfan CBB is very much down.

• justanotherfan said:

KU at #3 seems a little heavy to me. A healthy Doke means top 10, but I don’t see anything to suggest that this team is significantly better than last season in other areas. Unless you think De Sousa is going to be a 15 and 10 guy, #3 is about 5 spots too high.

Last season was preseason #1 and undefeated until Doke’s injury. Garrett is upgrade over Grimes in every area except shooting, Moss is a major upgrade defensively over Vick, and DeSousa is a big defensive upgrade over Dedric.

Offensively this team is pretty comparable to last year, maybe a small step backwards. The big difference this year is going to be on defense where this team should be a very good to elite defensive team.

• @jayballer73 I’m drinking the koolaid with you on this one. Cutting nets.

• I like KU’s team a lot this season. I liked it last season too but I thought Grimes would be really good and Doke would stay healthy. I was very wrong about Grimes.

We mostly know what we have going into this season, though. We know who our 2 best players are. We know Garrett is solid. We know Ochai is solid and can be good-great. Moss is a bit of a question mark and we’re all kind of waiting to see with Silvio, but we’re not asking either to be the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd best player on the team. And neither should be a negative on defense. Good and bad with Mac last season but we know his character and work ethic, and I think most of us see the upside. And apparently Self saw him improve more than anyone else during the off-season. That brings us to player #8 and we haven’t even talked about a freshman yet. So regardless of how our freshman are, it probably won’t make or break this season.

No starting spots promised to freshman. No seniors who don’t act like seniors. No best players who don’t play defense. Should be better team chemistry, better leadership, and fewer question marks.

• Kansas #3, Texas Tech #13, Baylor #16, and then no other Big 12 teams even received a vote. I’m not sure the drop from 3 to 4 will be that pronounced.

• Izzo just announced that Joshua Langford foot issue that sidelined him last year is back and he will be out until January. Huge blow to Sparty.

• @Woodrow

Wow that is a huge blow to them.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich

In the conference I think KU/Baylor will have separation. Unless Beard is just a magician they will regress to some mean. Everything he had last year is the reverse of what he has this season. Should be a really bunched middle of the Big-12 though.

• In AP voting Azubuike was a pre-season 2nd team All American, Dotson 3rd team.

• Woodrow said:

Izzo just announced that Joshua Langford foot issue that sidelined him last year is back and he will be out until January. Huge blow to Sparty.

Dam - -that’s a bad luck for them - -hope he can heal