HUGE NBA TRADE

• The Lakers push all in for the Unibrow, while the Pelicans get rid of a malcontent, and get a buttload for him:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/anthony-davis-trade-pelicans-dealing-all-star-to-lakers-for-lonzo-ball-brandon-ingram-three-first-round-picks-per/

• Reports of Vasoline included in the deal have not been confirmed.

• Lakers ain’t done yet

• @BShark Kyrie

• i still think they fleeced themselves…

• 35 mil in salary cap. Lakers have to spend very wisely. Comparing this to the Kawhi trade, that was a trade for Derozen (flawed all star) , poetl (talented project) and a first rounder, and also got Danny Green back, another key guy. And looking at Toronto’s salaries they have only one bad contract on the books (norman Powell). They don’t win without Siakham on a rookie contract or homegrown Van Fliet. They have Kawhi under contract another year, something the Lakers won’t get from AD trade. And the rest of their team is under contract 1 more year too save Green who is an easy resign if they want him. Theyve got other young guys and their draft stream remains in their control (I think).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/TOR.html

Lakers have no roster and have sold the farm. Any FA they sign has leverage. Their draft is gone for 3 years.

If Kuzma Bonga and Wagner develop into studs that would go a long way, as they are under control for several years. But I don’t see that happening. Kuzma maybe.

If they go Big 3 and get one more star in the 23mil range I don’t think you can do enough with 12 mil to fill out the rest of the roster.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/LAL.html (Pre trade salaries, not updated yet)

• Correction : I thought the Lakers traded next 3 years but they didn’t. It’s this one, the 2021 one and a pick swap for 2023 I think. So they still could draft someone impactful in the LeBron era.

• Lakers are the favorites at several sports books before the trade was announced simply based on speculation they’d get Davis. If they get another all star FA to pair with them they’ll be legit, but no bench.

• @dylans Do you assume that if its Irving or Walker you’re talkign 21mil to 25mil per year? Leaving 10 mil to pay 8 more guys? If not, what All-Star is going to take less money?

• @approxinfinity glad I’m not the GM. Ahem Magic. Also glad I’m not a lakers or nba fan.

• NBA rules prohibit a team from trading their #1 pick in consecutive drafts. This comes from a rule in the 1980’s (the Stepien rule). The rule was created because Ted Stepien’s Cavs traded away five consecutive #1 picks. Those picks ended up being the following players:

1. Al Wood - 1981 #4 overall
    2. James Worthy -1982 #1 overall
    3. Rodney McCray - 1983 #3 overall
    4. Sam Perkins - 1984 #4 overall
    5. Detlef Schrempf - 1985 #8 overall

That is a pretty solid group of picks, including a Hall of Famer and two other guys that had nice, long careers.

As for what the Lakers can do with their cap space, if they are smart, rather than trying to land a max guy, they should try to get two solid players. JJ Redick or Danny Green would be a nice addition on the wing as a shooter. A two way guy like Malcolm Brogdon that can play either guard spot would be a good fit.

With New Orleans, they are in a great position. They get Zion and a nice group of young players from the Lakers. They were able to keep their roster intact and they have the #4 pick this year, plus extra first rounders in 2021 and 2023. If they are knocking on the door in 2021 or 2022 they can move an extra pick to round out the roster then. They could also shop the #4 this year for something in the future, or for more immediate help, although if it were me, I would keep the #4 this year to give myself another good young player (Coby White from UNC could be an enticing pick).

The Lakers got the best current player, but New Orleans got so much back that it may not hurt them long term.

• Additional correction: Kawhi and Gasol can opt out of this next year.

• The Kawhi merry-go-round begins.

• Read this morning that Kawhi is looking at the Clippers.

• @Woodrow Kawhi has said he likes LA. The speculation since he was traded to Toronto is that it was a one year rental ending with him going to the Clippers. The problem is it’s all speculation, Kawhi doesn’t say anything. That dude is very quiet.

• What blows my mind is the Pelicans having the 1st and the 4th picks this year, along with Ingram and Lonzo. That roster is loaded. As I recall, Okafor did well in place of the Unibrow.

• @KUSTEVE Don’t forget they have Cheick!

• @dylans It was Woj who said and he is about as dialed in as one can be in the NBA. I assume he has heard things or he wouldn’t report it. Not saying it is 100% he goes to the Clippers, but I would assumed they are the favorites.

• Either he takes money and stays in Toronto or he does a short term deal (with player options) and goes to the Clips and signs a supermax next season.

If I were to guess, he ends up in LA. He already did what he needed to in Toronto.

• If Kawhi really wants to maximize his potential, he should sign a 2 year deal with someone, and THEN sign a super max extension. At 27 (now) he can command top dollar. He will still (probably) be able to command top dollar in two years, so he could effectively get seven years of near super max money. If he does a one year deal, the contract he could sign at 33 won’t be a super max or near super max contract. Best chance to capitalize is now, in his prime.

• justanotherfan said:

If Kawhi really wants to maximize his potential, he should sign a 2 year deal with someone, and THEN sign a super max extension. At 27 (now) he can command top dollar. He will still (probably) be able to command top dollar in two years, so he could effectively get seven years of near super max money. If he does a one year deal, the contract he could sign at 33 won’t be a super max or near super max contract. Best chance to capitalize is now, in his prime.

That’s what LeBron did basically

• @Woodrow Yeah, Woj and Steven A., Jalen Rose, Max Kellerman, every taking head and analysist down to Stugotz has said it. But until Kawhi or his agent say something it’s just the same year old speculation. It’s just heating up, because he’s out of his contract now.

Kawhi, the most boring super star ever.

• dylans said:

@Woodrow Yeah, Woj and Steven A., Jalen Rose, Max Kellerman, every taking head and analysist down to Stugotz has said it. But until Kawhi or his agent say something it’s just the same year old speculation. It’s just heating up, because he’s out of his contract now.

Kawhi, the most boring super star ever.

Mike Trout is right there too.

As is Brooks Koepka.

Sports world is in need of some fresh blood.

• CP3 wants out. I think it would be cool for him to go back to New Orleans and finish his career throwing lobs to Zion, Ingram and the rest of the young scoop. THE OOP SCOOP!

A group of pelicans has many collective nouns, including a “brief”, “pod”, “pouch”, “scoop”, and “squadron” of pelicans

• CP3 is stuck. Too much money in that contract for anyone to trade for him, too good to let him walk…unless he really does make James Harden cry about his man boobs. Lol

• @dylans lol

• Huge trade, indeed. But damn, as of right now only three players on the roster?