Isaiah Moss To Kansas

• Told you @jayballer73 🙂

• Rock chalk jayhawk

• Perfect. Let’s get him to LFK ASAP

• That was quick. Goodman did know something after all, surprising

• “It’s just such a prestigious, tradition-rich program and being able to play for a Hall of Fame coach and program.” Moss on KU

• This is great to have for competition and options. It’s clear he’s the type of kid that can get his own shot, can make perimeter plays (make 3’s) and has plenty of experience playing in the Big-10. He can push Marcus & Ochai.

There will be games we are going to need what Moss can provide. Hopefully he’s healthy, fits in, learns like a sponge and is a quality option for this team.

• Self on Isaiah Moss: "We’ve obviously been looking for shooting throughout this recruiting period and we feel like we have addressed some of those needs with Isaiah’s addition. When Isaiah is on the court, he’s going to be a guy that could be a 40-45 percent 3-point shooter …

• Self can go 8 deep without even playing a freshman. In today’s landscape that’s almost unheard of.

• More from Bill Self on Moss: “Isaiah was a very good player on a very good team at the University of Iowa. He’s played in big games. He’s certainly used to the physicality of our sport after playing in the Big Ten and has been very well-coached and drilled.”

This and the last quotes are from Bedore.

• Welcome to KU Isaiah! We’ve been expecting you.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Self can go 8 deep without even playing a freshman. In today’s landscape that’s almost unheard of.

So good.

• BAM ---- -UH OH - - I smell fear - - HELLO BIG 12 – are you listening? - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

And now you’ve heard - - THE REST OF THE STORY. - - THIS IS JAYHAWK NATION - - SAYING TO THE BIG 12 - - GOODNIGHT( Anyone remember Paul Harvey ) lol - - my feeble attempt lol – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Isaiah Moss says he is planning on not only bringing outside shooting to KU but his perimeter defense. Chicago native prides himself on tough defense.

From Bedore again.

• If we land Wilson on Wednesday we all owe Spring Bill a beer.

• rockchalkwyo said:

If we land Wilson on Wednesday we all owe Spring Bill a beer.

Agreed, however I think he should buy us all a round as well for the roller coaster

• Worth noting that Moss is friends with Dotson’s older brother Dalen.

• @chriz @stoptheflop Party is in here friends.

• Moss is a solid three point shooter. He was a good, but not great player at Iowa. Around better talent, I could see his numbers improving a bit at KU, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Moss should average about 12 points per game here. I don’t expect (and you shouldn’t expect) him to average 16 or 17 a game. He’s not that type of player. He can go off for 20 something, but he can also be limited to less than 5.

Moss is a good piece to the puzzle, but I am still not sure where this team gets the bulk of their scoring from. If you say Moss, I point to the problems he had at Iowa. He’s best featured as a secondary scorer, not the guy you run your offense through. I hope that’s how we use him so we get peak Moss, rather than the Moss that sometimes struggled at Iowa.

• HOT DIGGITY DAWG!!!

• @justanotherfan The hope is that Dot turns really turns the corner shooting and decision making. He was good last year but he can be GREAT. His speed makes him a true game changer.

Something like

Dot: 17

Moss: 11

Agbaji: 9

Silvio: 8

Doke: 14

Bench

Garrett: 7

Dave: 5

Wilson: 6

That gets you to 77 points a game average and the defense should be really good. It won’t be exactly like that, but that would be my general outline. Everyone contributes, Dotson and Udoka are your need a bucket guys.

• Apropos of nothing: Apparently Mr Moss has 1-2 classes to complete. I wonder if all the hours transfer to KU or if he goes back to Iowa? Can’t really be a graduate transfer if you get your degree from the school to which you graduate transfer…

• BeddieKU23 said:

Self can go 8 deep without even playing a freshman. In today’s landscape that’s almost unheard of.

3 sophomores, 2 juniors, 3 seniors, and likely no one-and-done freshman. I wish I could up-vote your comment more than once.

• BShark said:

Worth noting that Moss is friends with Dotson’s older brother Dalen.

Update: BEST friends per Bedore. Didn’t realize it was quite that close.

• @BShark I’m thinkin’ something like this -

Starters:

Doke - 15

SDS - 9

Agbaji - 13

Moss - 9

Dotson -13

Bench:

Garrett - 7

McCormack - 6

Mitch - 4

McBride - 2

• rockchalkwyo said:

If we land Wilson on Wednesday we all owe Spring Bill a beer.

OR TWO lol - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @HighEliteMajor I’m hoping Mitch doesn’t play much but deep down I also know Bill Self. We definitely pretty much agree on the total. I’m not sure I see Agbaji getting to 13 but he will be good for sure.

• Starters - Devon Dotson, Isaiah Moss, Ochai Agbaji/Jalen Wilson, Silvio De Sousa, Udoka Azubuike

Bench - Marcus Garrett, Ochai Agbaji/Jalen Wilson, David McCormack

Deep Bench - Issac McBride, Tristan Enaruna, Mitch Lightfoot

Possible RS - Christian Braun

Possible Additions - Kyree Walker, Josaphat Bilau

I think Dotson and Moss will start in the backcourt. I’d start Ochai over Wilson but I don’t know what Self has promised Wilson (if he comes to KU). Marcus needs to come off the bench because he needs to be on the court when Dotson isn’t for ball-handling reasons. Also, Doke and SDS will be monsters down low for KU and they will be more effective with space. Since Doke only averages around 20ish minutes per game anyway, I think HCBS should try to insert Garrett into the game when Udoka comes out, and vice-versa.

Really excited about the experience, depth, versatility, and defensive potential of this team. Also we’re pretty damn tall. Our shortest player is Issac McBride at 6’0’’.

• justanotherfan said:

Moss is a solid three point shooter. He was a good, but not great player at Iowa. Around better talent, I could see his numbers improving a bit at KU, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Moss should average about 12 points per game here. I don’t expect (and you shouldn’t expect) him to average 16 or 17 a game. He’s not that type of player. He can go off for 20 something, but he can also be limited to less than 5.

Moss is a good piece to the puzzle, but I am still not sure where this team gets the bulk of their scoring from. If you say Moss, I point to the problems he had at Iowa. He’s best featured as a secondary scorer, not the guy you run your offense through. I hope that’s how we use him so we get peak Moss, rather than the Moss that sometimes struggled at Iowa.

I Hear ya and agree - like you say I could see Moss around 12 a game. – Thing is I’m not sure if we are going to have a guy that is going to get the majority of our scoring with this team. - -Could be this is one of those more Balanced teams with like 4 guys averaging anywhere from 11 - -through 15 -16 a game. – I have a tendenacy to like balanced teams more like that anyways - that way it’s harder for defense to double down on one specific player. - have to wait and see what plays out I reckon

• Here’s Bart Torvik’s model: http://barttorvik.com/rosters20.php?team=Kansas. Not sure I buy all of it (Doke, Garrett, Dotson too high, Moss, Silvio much too low) but it’s fun to look at.

• David Eickholt, the Iowa 247 Insider: "1. A big reason he transferred from Iowa was playing time and exposure. Fran opted to play his son Connor McCaffery more in the crunch time scenarios due to his ball-handling and defense.

1. Moss can break down defenders on the dribble and get to the hoop. He’s a guy that is very capable of creating his own shot. He’s the type of player that will take a difficult shot that will make you say “No, No No!” then “Yes!”. He excels in down the shot clock scenarios.

2. He’s a very reliable three-point shooter. He shot 42 percent this past season from three and I’m surprised it wasn’t higher. The biggest knock on Moss is that he’s the definition of a microwave. If he makes his first one or two shots-- it’s likely that he’ll drop anywhere from 14-24 points. There was a game two years ago Minnesota where he scored 19 points in 1:30. If he gets going, he’s an extremely dangerous player and isn’t afraid to let it fly.

3. He’s a guy that has improved dramatically on defense. He clogs the passing lanes and isn’t afraid to swipe at opponents that stand in the “triple-threat” position. He also doesn’t get in foul trouble very much. Moss will be a guy that when put in a consistent system-- can excel. Part of the reason that his defense suffered at Iowa was that Fran loves to run three different styles of defense to throw off opposing offenses. I imagine that he’ll be much better when he has to commit to one or two styles of defense.

4. Moss will have to complete a couple of summer classes in order to be a graduate transfer-- but he’s had no grade issues in the past, so I don’t see this as a big issue for him. He’s a high character kid and I haven’t heard anything negative regarding him during his four years at Iowa."

• BShark said:

@HighEliteMajor I’m hoping Mitch doesn’t play much but deep down I also know Bill Self. We definitely pretty much agree on the total. I’m not sure I see Agbaji getting to 13 but he will be good for sure.

Yes, we both know coach Self … a trusted, reliable, dependable player. Not a lot of mistakes. A senior. Self-made.

I’m an Agbaji optimist, maybe overly so. But I like the kid a lot.

• I could be wrong on this, but I think Mitch redshirts. He’ll be the 5th big, and with the emergence of McCormack late last year he’ll be the 5th option. I don’t know if he’s interested in graduate school, but redshirting and taking a year toward a master’s on scholarship, might not be a bad option.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

I could be wrong on this, but I think Mitch redshirts. He’ll be the 5th big, and with the emergence of McCormack late last year he’ll be the 5th option. I don’t know if he’s interested in graduate school, but redshirting and taking a year toward a master’s on scholarship, might not be a bad option.

I’m a 1000000000% Mitch die hard fan – just brings his lunch box every game - -BUT totally understand – numbers, - -and hate to say but less talented. - -Again I love Mitch to death - -no fear in taking Charge - wish we had more that would be willing - - Better shot blocker then I ever imagined BUT would be the perfect year for him to Red Shirt - but like you say will he be willing for a 5th year

• @BShark

17 for Dotson is pretty ambitious. Of course, if he does that, then he is in the Sherron Collins zone.

I am worried that we will see Dotson more likely around 12 or 13, with Moss and Azubuike about the same. At that point, getting to the 77 you envision is a much longer road, and we will be depending on a lot of unproven guys to do it.

I’m not sure we have anyone coming in that even has the history to suggest they could put up 15 plus a game for KU.

That’s the one thing that worries me about this team. Not that they will be bad - they won’t be bad. But that they will look better on paper than they are in real life because they just won’t quite be able to get over the hump. And that doesn’t even address what happens if the perimeter shooting falls apart.

Moss fills a big hole on the perimeter, but I still feel like we are a player short.

• To quote Alan Greenspan, I may have some irrational exuberance, but I think that guy was Moss. He seems like a breakout candidate to me since he’ll be healthy and away from McCaffrey. Could be our Cam Johnson so to speak. I could see him 12-14 PPG if he gets more consistent. Doke will get his 14/8. But you’re right it’s odd that we won’t have a guy we can just lean on and get us 20 when needed. Dotson is the most likely candidate but he hasn’t shown it yet.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Here’s Bart Torvik’s model: http://barttorvik.com/rosters20.php?team=Kansas. Not sure I buy all of it (Doke, Garrett, Dotson too high, Moss, Silvio much too low) but it’s fun to look at.

Garrett at 12.6 is proof that computers can get drunk.

• BShark said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

Here’s Bart Torvik’s model: http://barttorvik.com/rosters20.php?team=Kansas. Not sure I buy all of it (Doke, Garrett, Dotson too high, Moss, Silvio much too low) but it’s fun to look at.

Garrett at 12.6 is proof that computers can get drunk.

Yup. Models are only as good as what you put into them.

• justanotherfan said:

@BShark

17 for Dotson is pretty ambitious. Of course, if he does that, then he is in the Sherron Collins zone.

I am worried that we will see Dotson more likely around 12 or 13, with Moss and Azubuike about the same. At that point, getting to the 77 you envision is a much longer road, and we will be depending on a lot of unproven guys to do it.

I’m not sure we have anyone coming in that even has the history to suggest they could put up 15 plus a game for KU.

That’s the one thing that worries me about this team. Not that they will be bad - they won’t be bad. But that they will look better on paper than they are in real life because they just won’t quite be able to get over the hump. And that doesn’t even address what happens if the perimeter shooting falls apart.

Moss fills a big hole on the perimeter, but I still feel like we are a player short.

I understand the concern. Dotson this year was over 12. He might not pop to 17 but I bet he improves at least somewhat.

I fully expect Jalen Wilson at KU but I am not sure he does much to alleviate the concerns you posted here. He’s moreso just another depth guy this season.

• Moss per a Shay tweet has been taking 500 jumpers a day this summer. GRIND SZN.

• @BShark i’m taking the over on Silvio’s 8!

• It’s the perfect addition at the perfect time. I guarantee you Moss has never had a pg as good as DD to work with, nor has he had the caliber of big men that he will have once he steps out on the court. The experience he brings to the table is invaluable. Everyone is talking about his 3 point shooting, but the guy is a very good defender. These are the type of guys that Bill gets the most out of- instant offense w/o sacrificing on the defensive end. 80% from the free throw line. Averages almost a steal a game. He’s the perfect 2. He’s not a shot hog, but can step up when needed. I love his shots off the dribble - he doesn’t need much room to put up a shot. You know, Matt Mooney was not the most highly sought after grad transfer. But the experience he brought to Tech was invaluable. I’m sure there were people saying he wasn’t great…that he was just good before last year. Well, he was great because of what he brought to that team that made them go from a good team to a great one. Moss might just be our Matt Mooney this year.

• @approxinfinity The funny thing is I was simultaneously thinking that might be a bit too high for Silvio and that people would disagree with me.

@KUSTEVE All anyone needs to know is that Fran was playing his son over Moss in crunch time. The same son that had negative advanced defensive stats and was rockin out with 4ppg. That’s some serious nepotism. I’m sure Moss is thrilled to get away from that.

• @FarmerJayhawk Beautiful post. I think your post explains it all.

• @BShark here’s what I think breaking down Silvio’s scoring. He will get 2 buckets on offensive rebounds. One on a set play. Then at least a bucket on entrypass. And the kid is our 75% ft shooting big . 8 is a floor. I will go 10.5

• @BShark That says it all right there. I just couldn’t figure out how a guy with his skills could get so few minutes. Farmer’s post answered all of my questions right there.

• So I read Moss signed a Grant in Aid agreement. - -So whats the difference between the LOI - -& Grant in Aid? - Read the difference some time back but forgot. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 grant in aid is just financial aid. A letter of intent binds the player to the school.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

@jayballer73 grant in aid is just financial aid. A letter of intent binds the player to the school.

Sooooo then in reality he is not bound to KU - - -I know - - just saying. - -I heard someone , somewhere say they didn’t know why MORE players just didn’t sign financial aid instead of LOLI’s - -crazy