2020 Football Recruiting

• It’s like a small cap stock trying to convince wall street they’ve really changed and are ready to go up.

Nobody believes you until you actually file a 10-Q that shows you are cash flow positive.

KU needs to prove itself on the field. It’s that simple. It’s hard to do without a QB. But Les is just going to have to either find a diamond in the rough or develop one on the roster. I thought Franks would have been a great fit, but if he’d rather get shit stomped by SEC defensive lineman every week that’s his prerogative. I do think Dearmon having an entire offseason to fully implement his system will show up on the field. I like his RPO scheme and I think once that is the main focus for reps leading into the season we will see it really pop.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Agreed about Gill not getting fair chance and the last 2 seasons. I will add that Kale Pick did see playing time in 2009 and wasn’t given a fair shot in 2010. The offense only had 3 points in that half against NDSU but had a pick in the endzone, a missed FG and several dropped passes. Webb came in and didn’t do any better but was just given the starting job. Gill should’ve let Pick run the ball more and had some option style plays.

• @kjayhawks Even if Mangino stayed, Kale Pick was never going to be the answer at QB. The only thing I can think of is that Mangino was banking on Christian Matthews coming in off his redshirt and taking over.

• Aaaaaand /scene. Arky it is

• Just saw that. Wonder if he will be on scholarship? His offer list was a whole lot of nothing.

• Woodrow said:

Just saw that. Wonder if he will be on scholarship? His offer list was a whole lot of nothing.

Yep, he’s a classic diamond in the rough (hopefully). Hasn’t been on the camp circuit and plays out in the sticks.

• PWO year 1, opportunity to get a scholarship from year 2 on. https://twitter.com/reis_vernon/status/1221593741196234753?s=20

• Well dam , now we lost Chris Jones - de-committed last night , this group is going to hell in a hand basket - - -pretty typical, he says re replaced him the day he left. - -like so many other verbals - verbal doesn’t amount a basket full of rotten eggs. Every or last couple of years the recruitment looked promising, only to have it go to hell - gets pretty frustrating

• jayballer73 said:

Well dam , now we lost Chris Jones - de-committed last night

He go back to the Chiefs?

• nuleafjhawk said:

jayballer73 said:

Well dam , now we lost Chris Jones - de-committed last night

He go back to the Chiefs?

lol – must have lol

• jayballer73 said:

Well dam , now we lost Chris Jones - de-committed last night , this group is going to hell in a hand basket - - -pretty typical, he says re replaced him the day he left. - -like so many other verbals - verbal doesn’t amount a basket full of rotten eggs. Every or last couple of years the recruitment looked promising, only to have it go to hell - gets pretty frustrating

Yeah, he’s full of it. We asked him on his visit if he was 100% on board, he said no, and we dropped him. This is still a close to top 50 class, which is about as good as we’ve done in the last decade. We’ll end up with 25+ HS kids ready to get in the program and develop for 5 years. No shortcuts a la Beaty and Chuck

• It is nice to get all HS kids, but not to get a QB and to lose all of our top commitments that we had has been extremely disappointing. I thought Les would be able to lure in some 4* kids but that hasn’t been the case so far. Seems like this class is limping to the finish line.

• Caldwell is going to sign, so that’s a big win for us. I think Bryant and Harden are JuCo’s. Both are bounceback candidates if they get things in order. Hearing the staff is still on the hunt for a grad transfer QB and will be very aggressive in the portal. I think MacVittie is a much better fit for Dearmon’s scheme than Koennig’s so we’ll see if he can win the job. Otherwise, ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Caldwell is going to sign, so that’s a big win for us. I think Bryant and Harden are JuCo’s. Both are bounceback candidates if they get things in order. Hearing the staff is still on the hunt for a grad transfer QB and will be very aggressive in the portal. I think MacVittie is a much better fit for Dearmon’s scheme than Koennig’s so we’ll see if he can win the job. Otherwise, ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’m not sure who they think they can get still as far as grad transfers go… The realistic options look pretty slim.

Anthony Brown is an intriguing one for me.

• Kcmatt7 said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

Caldwell is going to sign, so that’s a big win for us. I think Bryant and Harden are JuCo’s. Both are bounceback candidates if they get things in order. Hearing the staff is still on the hunt for a grad transfer QB and will be very aggressive in the portal. I think MacVittie is a much better fit for Dearmon’s scheme than Koennig’s so we’ll see if he can win the job. Otherwise, ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’m not sure who they think they can get still as far as grad transfers go… The realistic options look pretty slim.

Anthony Brown is an intriguing one for me.

Brown, Chase Brice, Peyton Ramsey, and the guy from Alcorn St. who’s name escapes me. More will shake loose this spring and summer when guys know they’ll graduate

• Bryant officially decommitted. Headed JuCo due to grades.

• Les still going big game hunting right before NSD. https://247sports.com/player/philip-blidi-46076581/

• Another assistant - -OUT. Eckler , gone headed to North Texas. - boy the turnover in Staff has been crazy

• jayballer73 said:

Another assistant - -OUT. Eckler , gone headed to North Texas. - boy the turnover in Staff has been crazy

Lots of turnover after the first year is fairly common. Staffs typically stabilize after year 3.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

jayballer73 said:

Another assistant - -OUT. Eckler , gone headed to North Texas. - boy the turnover in Staff has been crazy

Lots of turnover after the first year is fairly common. Staffs typically stabilize after year 3.

ahhh , ok. - -Was hearing also that there were some that wasn’t to happy with him. He handled field goals & punts and such ?

• jayballer73 said:

He effectively got canned

• I think we close with Bryant, Dotson, Caldwell, and Blidi tomorrow. Really nice job closing from the staff.

• Missed on Blidi, but I think we get Anokwuru, Dotson, and Bryant.

• @FarmerJayhawk so weird. Why manufacture drama only to sign with tech

• @BShark said in 2020 Football Recruiting:

@FarmerJayhawk so weird. Why manufacture drama only to sign with tech

No idea. There were rumors about grades. He’s an interesting kid too. Lives in a group home in a rough part of the state, no parents. Doesn’t really do interviews.

• Got Dotson

• Feel really good about Anokwuru, should be official within the hour. I think there’s a good chance we get Bryant yet too.

• @FarmerJayhawk whatshisface on the phog seems to disagree on both.

• @BShark I would be very surprised if we missed on Anokwuru. I know Bryant’s plan is to sign today but we’ll see

• Bryant is like Harden imo JUCO.

We appear to have signed Danny Robinson, never heard of him.

• Walk-on OT from How Blue is Your Valley NorthSouth Westish

• Scott put in a CB pick for Bryant to KU, and he usually gets his info from the coaches. So they expect something. Whether he qualifies or not is TBD but they must feel good enough about it to offer him a counter.

• Anokwuru is in

• Big time

• Bryant is still planning on signing this afternoon, with Kansas.

• There’s Bryant!

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2020 Football Recruiting:

There’s Bryant!

HUGE, that’s awesome to hear , just saw that. - - must have decided it was worth taking the shot , hope he qualify’s now - -sweet pick up. I was pretty sad to see where he WASNT coming. This makes my day. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• While we might not have had that one BIG TIME name stopper , the BIGH news is ALL FRESHMAN , guys that can come in an put in their 3-4 years and develop. Still some very solid players in this group.

Like another poster mentioned , from 4-10 class in the big twelve, there isn’t really a huge gap between the talent - -4-10 pretty close, it’s all a matter now of how the staff can develop these players. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BShark said in 2020 Football Recruiting:

Bryant is like Harden imo JUCO.

We appear to have signed Danny Robinson, never heard of him.

I guess Harden committed to UNI. - -what ? ? ? - -bet he never makes Campus , like you said he is Juco Bound

Feel really good about Anokwuru, should be official within the hour. I think there’s a good chance we get Bryant yet too.

you should go to Vegas - -place ALL your bets lol

• All in all, couldn’t have really asked for more today other than Blidi, but Anokwuru isn’t a scrub and arguably plays a spot we need more (edge vs. 5 tech).

Just got a whiff yesterday Bryant was planning on signing today so thought I’d call it. Recruiting is weird.

• Also, first class since Gill’s last one that’s all high school. That’s big time for rebuilding.

All in all, couldn’t have really asked for more today other than Blidi, but Anokwuru isn’t a scrub and arguably plays a spot we need more (edge vs. 5 tech).

Just got a whiff yesterday Bryant was planning on signing today so thought I’d call it. Recruiting is weird.

And call it you did. lol - - I thought he was lost. - -If he can qualify I think when it is all said and done, he is going to be one to really watch.

• Well checked it out and 247 has us ranked like 56th class. - While that is far from great, it sure is headed in the right direction and better then we have had in awhile right ? - -Again ALL FRESHMEN and then you add in these PWO’S and then all them colored shirts lol - -hell I’m not sur what all the different colored shirts even mean lol - as long as there is no PURPLE SHIRTS we good lol. - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 said in 2020 Football Recruiting:

Well checked it out and 247 has us ranked like 56th class. - While that is far from great, it sure is headed in the right direction and better then we have had in awhile right ? - -Again ALL FRESHMEN and then you add in these PWO’S and then all them colored shirts lol - -hell I’m not sur what all the different colored shirts even mean lol - as long as there is no PURPLE SHIRTS we good lol. - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Definitely a positive step. We beat 10 P5 teams as of now, which is big. Need to step it up a notch in 21 but I like where we finished.

• Get some more wins and staple more classes like this together and we will see meaningful progress.

@jayballer73 said in 2020 Football Recruiting:

Well checked it out and 247 has us ranked like 56th class. - While that is far from great, it sure is headed in the right direction and better then we have had in awhile right ? - -Again ALL FRESHMEN and then you add in these PWO’S and then all them colored shirts lol - -hell I’m not sur what all the different colored shirts even mean lol - as long as there is no PURPLE SHIRTS we good lol. - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Definitely a positive step. We beat 10 P5 teams as of now, which is big. Need to step it up a notch in 21 but I like where we finished.

for sure a positive step up. - -247 has us at 53 - -BUT rivals has us at 48th and 8th in the Big 12 - -I can accept that for this year for sure

• Just read this off TOS. Saw where Paul Matuvao-Peialir a 6’4 305 lb OT from Baylor had entered the Transfer Portal - he committed to Baylor in 2019, the only reason curious is we were in on him , recruiting him originally was recruiting him as a Defensive Tackle.

He was considering us before he ended up at Baylor as he chose them over us and Missouri , just curious to see if the staff might still be interested and reach out to him again? - Always use OL?DL big boys, curious to see if they might put any feelers out. - -Would he have to sit a yr ? - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY