Best Jobs in the Big XII

• Please notice the knock on West Virginia.

• They whistle really loud in Morgantown because they are missing both front teeth

• Can’t really argue with anything in that article.The spread between the places also makes sense. KU is #1 in hoops by a mile, and the thing that hurts the most (lack of high level in state recruits) is made irrelevant by the fact that KU can recruit nationally.

It’s the same thing that absolutely kills K-State. They can’t really recruit nationally, and regionally, if there’s a high level player, KU, Oklahoma, Mizzou, etc. are going to be options before K-State.

• @justanotherfan Really? Is a kid really going to pick misery over Kstate? Not being from Kansas, I’m not the expert on the local scene for sure, but I always kind of assumed in general kids who didn’t pick KU who are local kids i.e. Kansas kids, will go to Kstate or Wichita.

• Hell, Wichita State has out recruited KSU in the KC metro.

• @wissox

Depends on where they are from.

For Western Kansas kids, most certainly KSU and WSU are going to be the leading options (guys like Dean Wade and Ron Baker come to mind).

But for eastern Kansas kids, especially those in the KC area, Mizzou is as attractive. Certainly, Mizzou recruits the Missouri side of the border in KC harder than the Kansas side, but K-State or WSU isn’t more attractive than Mizzou (or Oklahoma, Iowa, Nebraska, Iowa State, etc.).

And the fact they are competing with five or six other programs for those same kids means they don’t have a built in advantage other than western Kansas, which doesn’t produce a P5 level player every year. That means they have to win almost every P5 battle regionally. That’s not happening.

• @justanotherfan

If I recall correctly, Ron Baker was not recruited bu any major program and even when his dream program was KU he ended up being a walk-on at WSU and also had to red shirt one year. Amazing how well that worked out for him and WSU.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@justanotherfan

If I recall correctly, Ron Baker was not recruited bu any major program and even when his dream program was KU he ended up being a walk-on at WSU and also had to red shirt one year. Amazing how well that worked out for him and WSU.

You are correct. Baker was not heavily recruited. I only pointed to him because he was such a success story making it to the NBA from western Kansas.

• What is the “buy games” category?

• mayjay said:

What is the “buy games” category?

Basically, it’s irrelevant to the Big 12. They should have just cut that from their criteria for P5 conferences.

A buy game is a game where one school pays another to play them once. The game is 99% of the time at the school of the payer.

• @BShark Thanks–I thought it was weird to have neither an explanation of the term, nor a comment about why the rating for that criteria changed so drastically from all the others.

• @mayjay I think they explained it in the very first one of these. They expect you to read them all apparently.

Very real chance they didn’t at all though, the first one was months ago so I am not 100% sure.