Is Bill Self a Corrupt Coach?

• @Barney

I don’t think that’s negative. That’s (unfortunately) probably true.

• @justanotherfan I mean negative in that as fans we would like to think it is all a level playing field. We would like our teams regardless of who we support to play by the rules and win.

• @justanotherfan I thought the question was pretty clear:

“Who is the high-major coach you genuinely believe does everything by the book and operates completely within the NCAA’s rulebook?”

That isn’t in the plural.

• @JayHawkFanToo in my opinion, you are the most opinionated poster.🤐

• @wissox NO

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@JayHawkFanToo in my opinion, you are the most opinionated poster.🤐

0_1527101808230_545FA676-F98D-451E-B5BB-4B06C43549A5.jpeg

Ouch…but seriously, aren’t we all opinionated? Isn’t this what a forum is all about, expressing our opinions? If you don’t agree with what I write you can always state your own opinion, right? Maybe you will convince me to see it your way.

• @JayHawkFanToo you just say in my opinion, a lot. Not right or wrong, just an opinion.🤣

• @Crimsonorblue22 hey, I appreciate the qualification of it being his opinion. To me that seems more honest than stating his opinion as fact.

• Type into Google “Is Kansas basketball dirty”. There’s a lot of people out there that believe we are to some degree.

• wissox said:

Type into Google “Is Kansas basketball dirty”. There’s a lot of people out there that believe we are to some degree.

Exactly. Now obviously there is a bit of jealousy and you can’t believe everything but like I said before, KU basketball players aren’t hurting for anything while they are at KU.

• Interesting article. I saw it at a link posted by @approxinfinity related to coach Self and the big 12 POY discussion. It was the story below it.

https://247sports.com/Article/Report-Rogue-agent-could-trouble-FBI-college-basketball-case-118462529

• I see it this way:

Bill Self is guilty of jaywalking. Yes… technically… it is illegal.

Coaches like Rick Pitino, are guilty of manslaughter.

• @drgnslayr Assumption here … what if Self learned of an Adidas payment to one of our former players, say Josh Jackson, after the fact. And didn’t report it? I think that’s a big deal from a rules violation standpoint. Assumption, of course. But that’s more the scenario I’m concerned about. Not that he had prior knowledge.

Further, the compilation of “knowledge” could be enough for the prosecutor to claim he’s part of a conspiracy. If he was aware of “the game” so to speak, and didn’t work to ensure that the University wasn’t “defrauded.” Ugh.

• @HighEliteMajor is that different than what happened w/billy or cliff?

• @HighEliteMajor

I hear what you are saying. I just don’t believe he would let it slide.

I don’t see him risking anything concerning his own reputation or the reputation of the university. And if the university and coaches previously knew nothing about a payment, we should be viewed as “victims” anyways.

If our coaching staff is clean, they should do everything to support their cleanliness. Coverups are usually where people screw up. If our coaches are willing to coverup something they previously knew nothing about… they take on risk for little or no gain.

• @HighEliteMajor

Like any other business, everybody in the coaching business knows who the good and bad actors are and there is really not much that can be done other than to try to keep your own program clean.

I would suspect that most coaches insulate themselves from this type of knowledge about their own programs so they can have future plausible deniability.

I would venture to say that Coach Self is generally aware of what goes one but stays out of the details. I would also bet that he did not ask, approve or knew contemporaneously of any of these alleged payments just because of the potential damage to his legacy and “officially” learned about the actual payments at the same time we did.

Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made. - Otto von Bismarck

I think we can safely throw college sports recruiting in the same category.

• Banned

@HighEliteMajor

My point being? is the only reason the FBI/Government got involved is because there is a lot of money being thrown around and they’re not getting their share. Think about it? What was the crime? What some kid and his folks/handlers lies to a university about receiving funds? You really think the FBI/government got involved because some kid lied to the his school of choice?

Last time I checked there is no law against a shoe company or any company throwing money at young men?

• @DoubleDD If you really think this is about taxes, well, ok then. I have thought about. The theory that this is really about unpaid taxes is (respectfully) nonsensical, in my opinion. No other way to put it.

Your last sentence is telling. And I whole-heartedly agree. But the prosecutor, however, does not. He’s the guy that counts. The theory is fraud. Read the charging complaint at the link below.

And after you do, then let me know how many times you see the word “tax” or “taxes.”

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/999006/download

• @DoubleDD

I get what you are saying but it certainly does not look like a tax issue to me. All Adidas has to say is that the money was a gift and the first $14,000 would excempt from taxes and the amount over that would be taxable. Considering that many of the recipients have low incomes, the difference might not be enought to be taxed or the tax would be at the lowest rate; in other words, the tax would be negligible to insignificant since it is not like one recipient got millions but a number of them got smaller amounts instead. One drug bust alone would represent orders of magnitude more money. I just can’t imagine the FBI getting involved for this little money, this is something that the IRS would pursue. BTW, the indictment does not mention tax evation at all.

To me, there is a bigger agenda that we still don’t know and tax evasion is not it. I would be curious to see what part of the argument above you think is incorrect.

• @JayHawkFanToo Actually, I meant to post this long ago: Adidas, not the recipients of the money, would be liable for the gift tax. It is not like lottery or game-show winnings, which are considered income to winners.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-taxes

• @mayjay

In the last 20 years I have given gifts up to the limit on at least 4 occasions that I remember and every time, as directed by both accountants, I provided a letter to the recipient that the money was a gift which the recipient used for tax purposes. Since the gifts were by design at or just below the limit there was no tax liability anyway.

• @JayHawkFanToo If those were gift letters for money to help someone buy a house, their use was simply to assure mortgagors that the money was not a loan. As for other recipients needing a gift letter, it would be to ensure the money did not get counted as income (and thus not be taxable), or raise questions about hidden income sources.

• Banned

@HighEliteMajor

I know it appears I’m reaching a bit. Yet it is just in my experience when dealing with the Government and it’s agencies. It’s always about money. I mean they call it something else of course. They even paint a perception that their being heroes by righting the wrongs. Yet at the end of the day it’s always about the money.

Fraud is a Ying and Yang kind of issue when comes to the government. Is not the purpose of the FBI Involvement, is these kids are defrauding the Universities?

I’m sorry I just can’t buy that the FBI got all bent out of shape because these kids were defrauding Universities. No the real defrauding is a lot of money is getting tossed around and the Government isn’t getting their cut.

At the end of the day it’s just my opinion. However when this is all done. I’m willing to bet some persons/companies get charged with tax evasion. Yet I’ll remember as you said that this FBI investigation wasn’t about taxes/money.

• DoubleDD said:

@HighEliteMajor

My point being? is the only reason the FBI/Government got involved is because there is a lot of money being thrown around and they’re not getting their share. Think about it? What was the crime? What some kid and his folks/handlers lies to a university about receiving funds? You really think the FBI/government got involved because some kid lied to the his school of choice?

Last time I checked there is no law against a shoe company or any company throwing money at young men?

What I don’t understand… why weren’t the feds in on the UNC academic fraud case?

Here is an example where a state-funded university had state-funded instructors committing a crime that defames all diplomas received by thousands of students.

• @DoubleDD But also remember what I said … that using the IRS issues is a way to apply pressure. So while I don’t believe that was the impetus of the prosecution, I do think it could come up later as pressure is applied.