SILVIO!!!

• …and Silvio’s emergence will force opposing teams to add another player to their scouting reports!

• Even the addition of depth will help quite a bit. Thankfully the Mitch starting experiment is over, so all our bigs can be more aggressive. Hopefully he can keep it up against a team that actually guards.

• I posted before that once the game slowed down for him he would be able to contribute, looks like he is getting there…

KANSAS FRESHMAN C SILVIO DE SOUSA

On how he felt being in the game:

“It felt great. I just think that who we are on the court is a result of who we are off the court. I’m just trying to build my confudence for the team and help them as much as I can.”

On if the game is slowing down for him:

“For sure. Right now I see things a lot slower. I remember the first day I got here I was seeing the ball move around and I didn’t know what to do. Now I can control the ball, catch, and pass, so I’m getting used to it.”

• @KUSTEVE It was really fun seeing the guys go nuts for Silvio live at AFH.

• Did anyone else heard the announcer (Vitale) state that the KU players had asked Coach Self to leave Doke in at the end of the OU game in Norman?

• Banned

Was it not me that said the Mitch was going to be the man? Um please someone pat me on the back? Just kidding. However someone stated Doka will enter the draft after this year. I’m not so sure. My thinking though warped as it is. Doka is one of those talents that another year in college could indeed sky rocket him into a lottery pick. I think if Doka was to go after this year He might be a late 1st rounder at best. Yet another year under Coach will skyrocket him to the top of the college basketball world. Remember this kid is still learning the game of basketball.

• @DoubleDD Doke is a multi-millionaire in the making. But I am with you in declaring that he needs one more complete season, so that he can climb into lottery status. The financial and security dif between lottery selections and remainder of the pack is ominous, actually stupendous! Guaranteed millions for at least 3 pro seasons. The kid has the potential to grab that, but is yet far from ready.

• @REHawk

Projecting college play to the NBA is like projecting HS play to college on steroids. Doke is dominating smaller players in college but in the NBA he will run into men equally big or bigger than him, his rebounding needs a lot of work and he needs to develop some sort of mid range shot; the NBA is moving away from under the basket bigs and switching to mobile bigs that can step outside and hit from there.

Doke has Improved immensely but still is a work in progress that needs a lot of additional development to be effective at the next level.

• NICKNAME IDEA: Silvio “Nintendo” D.e Sousa. Like Nintendo D.S. 🙂

Not sure who said it, but 100% agree. Just letting Mitch and Doke both play aggressively, knowing that a 3rd guy can come in and at least hold his own, could change this season.

Not to mention our HOF coach pulling all the right strings it looks like. He’s got Newman playing how we thought he could, lost and then found Vick, has developed Doke into an absolute monster, turned Lightfoot into a serviceable big-man and a true force at the rim, and instilled confidence in Garrett to the point he can hit an open 3 and finish at the rim. If he can somehow turn SDS into a solid 3rd post player that lets us play more freely, well that might just be the reason he is a HOF coach.

• @Kcmatt7

Coach Self was wise enough to quickly get him off the court when he was getting way over his head and patiently waited until the righ time to leave him in and build his confidence.

• Damn guys still getting a warm fuzzy tingly feeling on Silvio from last night - or it might be from my bourbon I’ve had tonight lol - -think he gave us a hint of what is to come - -looking forward to him the rest of the season - - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 ice gone from i 70? I’m still in Lawrence

• @Buster-1926 I hope I can get home tmrw!

• De Sousa has up to 6 games before the NCAAs, depending how seriously we take the B12 tournament. Minimum 4 games. His post moves last game looked like he had been doing it all year. The thing that really jumps out to me are the 6 rebounds he had in 13 minutes. He led the team with 3 offensive rebounds. That’s simply a potential game changer for our team, imo.

• @Buster-1926 I don’t have a hummer or brand new tires. Surely it will be ok by tmrw? I usually head south after Topeka but will probably go 1-70 to Salina and down. I’m coming back up for mon’s game so I need to get home.

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@jayballer73 ice gone from i 70? I’m still in Lawrence

Ya I think it’s pretty cleared up - -this way anyways. - -

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@Buster-1926 I don’t have a hummer or brand new tires. Surely it will be ok by tmrw? I usually head south after Topeka but will probably go 1-70 to Salina and down. I’m coming back up for mon’s game so I need to get home.

just use some common sense for road conditions and you’ll be fine - -only thing is you might be fine - but it’s the other idiots that are out you have to look out for .

I dunno they talking about repeat rounds again like late tomorrow of freezing drizzle - -rain some light snow - -tomorrow night - - Thursday night --Friday - chances in each night - - just be careful - I think you’ll be ok - roads here in Topeka pretty good. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• You guys, it was freeking 60* in New Haven Connecticut today. Crazy, right??

P.S. send that damm ice far north of me ok? thanks.

• Look, I know Silvio had a very good game Monday. But it’s just one game. Hopefully, he plays (and well) Saturday. But let’s pump the brakes here until he shows consistency. One game may be an anomaly, two games is making strides but three good games in a row? That’s a great trend!

I really want the kid to do well, but some will try to bury him if he doesn’t play up to Monday’s level. Just go with what he can give KU. He’s a great kid!

• @Crimsonorblue22 I do not miss Kansas winter weather one bit. It’s 80 degrees here.

• @KUSTEVE I wasn’t going to rub it in. Spring blooming is going on and I need to cut the grass already here in SC, which other than climate is pretty much a Hell dimension.

• @Gorilla72 Here’s my answer to that: I agree 100% that one game does not a season make. But … here is the comparison :

Lightfoot … 205 minutes in B12 play : 15 rebounds

De Sousa … 13 minutes last game : 6 rebounds

I love Lightfoot…love what he brought to the OU game with the great blocks, the jam … BUT even if De Sousa doesn’t go 3 for 3 from the field every game (using very nice post moves), and 4 for 4 from the free throw line, and lead the team in offensive rebounds (3), and end up with 6 boards, I think it is safe to say we’ve found our back up to Doke. He simply rebounds the ball too well not to make a significant impact every game. Might not see scoring like we saw, but that guy hits the boards. Fran Fraschilla called him an “elite rebounder”, and we just saw his coming out party.

• I just had this crazy vision of D-man going into unstoppable beast mode in March and ripping a path to the FF.

I know, I know, it’s just one game, and he’s just a kid, and it’s highly highly unlikely, but I was really smiling thinking, yea, but what if he did…

• KUSTEVE said:

@Crimsonorblue22 I do not miss Kansas winter weather one bit. It’s 80 degrees here.

It was 70-80 here (KS) on Saturday/Sunday, of course it snowed on Monday…