Ochai Agbaji commits to Kansas

• GREAT get. I wonder if Romeo informed Self or if we still have a shot at RL?

• Are RL and Ochai the same position players ?

And let the official Ochai nickname submissions begin šŸ™‚

• Bosthawk said:

Are RL and Ochai the same position players ?

No. Romeo is a guard. Agbaji is more of a wing/combo forward type. They are also pretty unrelated to each other in general. Romeo if he comes is a guy expected to start and play 25+ minutes a night in one season and then go pro. Whereas Agbaji is a kid we are looking at to be a program player who will develop.

• @Bosthawk Yes, but a KU lean. Regardless of Ochai, he can RS, but need to look at roster. I think Cunliffe is gone. Either Vick and or Newman may be gone too.

Weā€™ll see, but I have an odd feeling Romeo to KU. I dont care what the experts say.

• @BShark Program player is a great term.

• @truehawk93 I think KU still has a good shot at Romeo too.

And yeah I think program player is a nice way to say guys you figure to be around 4-5 years.

It can be a tough balancing act for KU as weā€™ve seen.

Itā€™s hard to find kids that want to come and grind it out in practice to maybe be a bench player. They typically have to bleed KU like Mitch.

This year the sit out transfers are making it so that there arenā€™t many unhappy players. Itā€™s really hard when you have 13 eligible players though.

• @BShark Thanksā€¦ so Romeo is a presumed OAD then huhā€¦ šŸ™ sigh

Iā€™m trying, but my enthusiasm for on-paper OADs picking Kansas is at an all-time LOW.

Devonte, Frank mason, sherron, (put name of your favorite 3 or 4 year KU player here)ā€¦
    guys who were mid to low ranked to no-ranked in high school who then turned out to be jayhawk-for-life STUDS is what gets me pumped these days. Letā€™s hope Self and staff keep on finding these ā€œprogramā€ player types on a continual conveyor belt basis !!

• Bosthawk said:

@BShark Thanksā€¦ so Romeo is a presumed OAD then huhā€¦ šŸ™ sigh

Iā€™m trying, but my enthusiasm for on-paper OADs picking Kansas is at an all-time LOW.

Devonte, Frank mason, sherron, (put name of your favorite 3 or 4 year KU player here)ā€¦
    guys who were mid to low ranked to no-ranked in high school who then turned out to be jayhawk-for-life STUDS is what gets me pumped these days. Letā€™s hope Self and staff keep on finding these ā€œprogramā€ player types on a continual conveyor belt basis !!

Romeo is definitely OAD. Regardless of how his season goes.

Sherron was a top 20 recruit but I get where you are coming from on this. We donā€™t get to have many fun senior nights anymore. Last year was pretty special with Frank and Landen. This year will be pretty awesome too with Graham and Svi. ā¤

Right now going forward we have Mitch and Garrett with Ochai and McCormack coming in both project as 4 year players too.

• @BShark Yep- love it !

In my 20 years of Jayhawk fandom, I discovered that these are the types of guys that make me a true passionate fan, come what may of our eventual outcomes. For example, Lightfoot and garret are growing on me like a weed becaus I know, barring unforeseen and unexpected developments, we get to watch them play many many games, absorb Selfā€™s teaching, and (hopefully) grow significantly in skill and prowess before our very eyes.

And yes, if we get him, I will of course root for Romeo as much as I can muster. but I kind of know the script for OADs by now.

scene 1: bask in the preseason buzz and attention and press, and look awesome early in the season against lesser teams

Scene 2: play predictably inconsistent up into conference play and look at times great then look like a lost freshman

Scene 3: basically disappear in the harsh forge of brutal conference play despite Coach playing you your requisite mandated OSD minutes.

Scene 4: make a splash in the first weekend of the big tourney, then be more or less a non-factor in our sweet sixteen or elite 8 loss to a team we should on paper have beaten handily.

Scene 5: wait a week or two, then quietly announce your decision to go pro, and tweet out thanking everyone for the unforgettable experience of being a Jayhawk albeit briefly

Iā€™m tired of this movie.

• @BShark I like cjonline

• Ochai Tea keeps KU brewing

• Gonna need a pronunciation guide with this team next year.

• @wissox Oh Chi. Or, OHCHI.

• @wissox Lol Iā€™ll take a stab at it:

K (Kay) J (jay) Lawson (Law - son)

Dedrick (dead - rick) Lawson (Law - son)

Mitch (like heā€™ll make you his bā€¦) Lightfoot (Light - foot)

Quentin (Quin ten) Grimes (grime with an s)

Marcus (Mark us) Garrett (Gair etā€™)

Devon (Dev - on) Dotson (Dot - son)

Charlie (Char - lee) Moore (more)

• Woohoo! KU recruits all over the world, but weā€™ve gotta recruit in our backyard too. He may be a 3 star but now heā€™s OUR 3 star. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

• Iā€™m a fan of this commitment. Seems like their is some good reports about his work ethic, character and talent.

Rankings aside (which Iā€™m sure will change) this seems to be a type of player that our coaching staff wants here going forward. I think he fits the mold that Mitch & Marcus are paving right now. Canā€™t wait to see how develops.

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

@BShark I like cjonline

Much better than the kcstar.

• I am super excited on landing Ochai! Heā€™s a development player with huge upside. Appears to be a 3-4 year player.

I think these kind of players are growing rare. It seems like we either score 5-star OADs or guys that can only help us to a certain level.

When players donā€™t come into college highly-touted, they are more-likely going to stick around for a while, even if they are really gifted. Players like Ochai end up being every bit as valuable to our program as an OAD because they stick around to build a good career stat sheet in college.

Welcome aboard, Ochai!

• @dylans oh smart one!

• @dylans Interesting you didnā€™t take a stab at Udoke Azbekuenzngiensā€™enfffces

• @wissox lol Iā€™ve been told he wonā€™t be here next season. Thanks for playing along!

• @BShark Iā€™ll have to check it out, but whatā€™s wrong with the KCStar?

• @wissox I believe itā€™s pronounced Udoka (I dunk on you) Azubuike (ouch)

• @wissox Really, the question is, whatā€™s good about the KC Star. Sports page sucks, down to nothing. Sports columnists are weak. No insight. Boring. Heck, I donā€™t even get my paper anymore until 6:45 at the earliest and Iā€™m out the door by then. Iā€™ll leave the politics out of the criticism.

• @HighEliteMajor I just go to it online for their KU Hoops page with Jesse Newell.

• @wissox The Star has been anti-KU in a subversive way the last 2-3 years. Before that it was more fair. Too much MU love, but thatā€™s to be expected.

• @wissox I have (had) read the sports page each morning since I was in first grade. The last thing I want to do I the morning is eat my breakfast while looking at a computer screen or my phone. Now I can hardly get the paper in my drive before I leave, and itā€™s down to nothing.

@dylans Correct ā€“ they assign non-sports hacks to write attack pieces, like Laura Bauer. Re-hash specials, questionable and biased slants to the info they provide (and the info they donā€™t provide) based on their preferred narrative, and timing the canned, re-hashed for game days (such as running the Tyreek Hill hit piece the day of the playoff game a year ago).

• The Star is an absolute dumpster fire. Iā€™ve worked with a couple of their political reporters, and they all share one thing in common: a lack of ability to comprehend basic facts. Theyā€™re either dumb or willingly biased in ā€œobjectiveā€ reporting. Anyway, mini-rant over. @dylans Udoka is probably going to declare but not get a combine invite. I know some of his people really want him to go pro, but I donā€™t think itā€™s happening this year. He still needs some time.

Back on topic, I love this addition. Heā€™s a great kid by all accounts, and willing to maybe RS if the roster is really stacked like it could be. It doesnā€™t affect Romeo at all. Had a couple IU fans on Twitter argue it last night. Their response was, ā€œHow is Billy Preston doing?ā€ so it went well.

• dylans said:

@wissox lol Iā€™ve been told he wonā€™t be here next season. Thanks for playing along!

By who? Or just general assumption?

• @BShark Just jokes to fit the narrative. Nothing of substance. There have been people say heā€™s gone all along. Iā€™m not one of them.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Had a couple IU fans on Twitter argue it last night. Their response was, ā€œHow is Billy Preston doing?ā€ so it went well.

The same Billy Preston that IU was recruiting and really wanted. Odd. šŸ˜‚

• @BShark I forgot about thatā€¦IRONY? This will be some poetic justice if we get Langford. Most think Vandy and KU are the only leaders of the three leaders. But, if IU is in the picture and think they are just not to the degree the ā€œexpertsā€ say. We have a chance to steal yet another recruit from IU and Archie Miller. We all know how Sean Miller has stolen several recruits from KU. But we did get Withey too.

I could really see OA red shirting and developing under Romeo. OA could be an even greater factor after his RS year, if/when RL heads to the league. OA is going to be a really special PP (Program Player). This is going to get really interestingā€¦JHawk interesting.

Also, hope everyone saw Grimesā€™ Tweet. ā€œNaahā€¦it (alley oops) will happen in AFH!ā€ Love it. I hope Grimes knows something most of us donā€™t know.

• What else can it be butā€¦ChaiHawkā€¦šŸ˜„

• truehawk93 said:

@BShark I forgot about thatā€¦IRONY? This will be some poetic justice if we get Langford. Most think Vandy and KU are the only leaders of the three leaders. But, if IU is in the picture and think they are just not to the degree the ā€œexpertsā€ say. We have a chance to steal yet another recruit from IU and Archie Miller. We all know how Sean Miller has stolen several recruits from KU. But we did get Withey too.

I could really see OA red shirting and developing under Romeo. OA could be an even greater factor after his RS year, if/when RL heads to the league. OA is going to be a really special PP (Program Player). This is going to get really interestingā€¦JHawk interesting.

Also, hope everyone saw Grimesā€™ Tweet. ā€œNaahā€¦it (alley oops) will happen in AFH!ā€ Love it. I hope Grimes knows something most of us donā€™t know.

Damn Orca whale Miller. šŸ˜“

Ayton stings. Josiah Turner and Tarc, eh, Iā€™m kind of glad.

Itā€™s kind of crazy how many perceived KU locks he has flipped.

• https://twitter.com/joshscheib/status/961988612131885058

After announcing that heā€™s committing to @KUHoops yesterday, where was @youngoch at 6am this morning?!?!? In the gym, working on his game. Incredibly excited for this guy and his future! @Northmen_MBB #OPtoKU

• @dylans @wissox I thought Azibuke was Nigerian for: With Authority?

Ukoka (I dunka) Azibuke (with authority!)

• @BShark

Love how he says Rock Chalk Jayhawkā€¦let it play over and over and overā€¦Rock Chalk Jayhawkā€¦

Say it againā€¦Ochai

• Forgive the title maker but here are highlights of his 41 pts in 3 quarters game.

• Per the Wisconsin 247 guy Evan Flood Agbaji was going to commit to Wisconsin after visiting but the KU offer changed everything. So we pretty much offered just in time. šŸ˜€

• BShark said:

Per the Wisconsin 247 guy Evan Flood Agbaji was going to commit to Wisconsin after visiting but the KU offer changed everything. So we pretty much offered just in time. šŸ˜€

I think heā€™s actually from Wisconsin

• BShark said:

Per the Wisconsin 247 guy Evan Flood Agbaji was going to commit to Wisconsin after visiting but the KU offer changed everything. So we pretty much offered just in time. šŸ˜€

Wow. Flood is usually pretty reliable about things too.

• @blackmild33 Correct, he was born there and grew up there until he was 5 or 6.

@BeddieKU23 I tend to believe it too. Didnā€™t read as sour grapes. The Wisconsin guys were also one of the first to pick KU in the crystal ball after the offer.

• @BShark That vert already has me fan-girling so hard.

alt text

• alt text