things that seem clear

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

Silvio is a work in progress. He’s not going to be a high impact guy this year. He adds depth to give Azubuike a breather. His job at this point is to go in and keep his man from scoring and get a rebound. He’s not in there to score points, he’s not in there to make big plays. He’s in there solely to do dirty work while Doke gets a breather.

Unless KU blows somebody out sometime between now and the end of the season, DeSousa won’t see double digit minutes and probably doesn’t see second half minutes either.

ya , you sure right there - he isn’t seeing the court in the 2nd half - but then of course if your thinking I’m saying he should be seeing big minutes - -your off however sure could should be seeing a few more then he is seeing - -4-5 minutes a game? - not un reasonable to help with his development. - Pretty hard to learn/develop of two minutes a game - that’s not very many minutes to ask - -really hard to develop ANY thing in two minutes. - - you don’t hearing me say he needs to be a stud/monster/dominator - but he sure could feel in more then he is. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Jayballer54 If Silvio plays more than 4-5 minutes at this point, his inexperience will start hurting KU on the floor. That stretch he plays in the middle of the first half is maximizing his worth to KU at this point. Mitch is still the much better option at this point. Right now, it’s all about getting Silvio acclimated to D1 ball which doesn’t happen in a couple of weeks.

• @Jayballer54 DG just like WVU exhausted and hard to finish layups and make threes. WVU has to play that way or lose because of little offense without turnovers. KU has to rest Graham. I don’t like anybody getting shock treatments to play. How is that legal?

• @Crimsonorblue22 Just another way to get ahead or stay there if you can afford it.

• Let’s face it folks, unless Silvio has a Cole type UNC/Psyco T game, he’s too raw this point in the season. Silvio looks unusually poised, and needs a huge confidence builder. He’s still learning and just don’t think he’s going to be ready anytime soon. I think Self is playing him about right at this point.

I hope and believe Meeotch could be our “Wade” type player. That trey he sunk at the end of the TAM half was awesome. I hope he can improve and stretch the D a bit more, which will open the inside for Doke.

I’d like to see…

DG

Newman

Svi

Meeotch

Doke

• What’s Silvio supposed to do? He puts him out there for 2 minutes. That’s what maybe 4-5 possessions. Either Self has to commit to letting him play through mistakes or its never going to work. Silvio is sped up and rightfully so. I’m sure he also has it in his head that any mistake gets him on the bench. With the way Mitch is playing we can afford to have Silvio going through this adjustment period.

After tonight we have 2 home games in a row, Oklahoma St would be a great game to just let him play without the fear of the quick hook. This next week could be crucial to his development

• @Jayballer54 I hear you, but then I watch Dook and Virginia, and I think the same thing about those two teams. And I watch Purdew, and I think the same thing. Nova looks better, but I don’t see some unbeatable team. UNC ? No. Yes, we could get popped the first two rounds, or we could put together a nice run with this weak field this year. The three teams that looked the best in the SEC/B12 challenge other than us were Florida, Tenn, and Tucky, imo. And no one has any of those jokers on the national radar. So, it could wind up a good surprise like 2012 instead of a bad surprise like 2013.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

@Jayballer54 If Silvio plays more than 4-5 minutes at this point, his inexperience will start hurting KU on the floor. That stretch he plays in the middle of the first half is maximizing his worth to KU at this point. Mitch is still the much better option at this point. Right now, it’s all about getting Silvio acclimated to D1 ball which doesn’t happen in a couple of weeks.

And yet again , do you hear me asking for anymore then that? Two minutes of playing time isn’t what I’d say really burning a path to getting acclimated to D-1 ball. - -For some reason seems to me that you act like that I’m asking for some kind of major change of direction here - So what your telling me is that if I’m asking for 2-3 more minutes for an ENTIRE game that he is going to hurt the team? - -Come on man get real, if he hurts the team to a degree in a period of 2-3 more minutes the entire ball game then he isn’t a D-1 player, I don’t see how anyone can think as you say that a player can get acclimated to D-1 ball by playing 2 minutes for an entire game.

I’ve been as big as supporter for Mitch as anyone here - -I really like Mitch - he is a scrapper , the meat and potato type of guy, and I’m not asking about taking Mitch minutes - but we also have got to get Silvio experience on the floor. This Texas A & M game would of been the perfect time for that close game or not. - -In no way did this game have any effect on our season - -our conference race , we would of lost nothing in this scenario , worst case we lost a game -whoopee - -we need to look more about the broader scheme of things - -not ONE game. - -he has got to start seeing more time little by little so he CAN benefit us down the road in post season. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Gunman said:

@Jayballer54 DG just like WVU exhausted and hard to finish layups and make threes. WVU has to play that way or lose because of little offense without turnovers. KU has to rest Graham. I don’t like anybody getting shock treatments to play. How is that legal?

I understand what your saying for sure. - - See this is where I really think Sam needs to come into play. - - No not Sam relieving Devonte but for those few minutes so Devonte can rest, let Sam come in and maybe play the 2 - -slide Malik over to the point for even just 2-3-4 minutes, not asking for the world -just get him a breather, I know Coach said he just really can’t afford to have him off the floor - -and I understand perfectly as we do seem to struggle more when he is out , but have just got to find some way for him. Saturday was either his 3-4th straight game without a minute of rest - full 40 minutes, if we keep using him at this rate - come NCAA he will be shot, hope we can find some way. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Silvio is truly bad right now. There is no way to get him in the floor longer without throwing the game at this point. His seasoning is mostly for next year and hopefully, if we are lucky, spot minutes in March. Silvio has a big leg up on next year, but is so far behind this year I’m not sure he can be much help.

If you want to cry (I nearly did yesterday) go watch Billy Preston’s highlights from the pre-season games. He is exactly what’s missing from this years team to make it dominant.

• BeddieKU23 said:

What’s Silvio supposed to do? He puts him out there for 2 minutes. That’s what maybe 4-5 possessions. Either Self has to commit to letting him play through mistakes or its never going to work. Silvio is sped up and rightfully so. I’m sure he also has it in his head that any mistake gets him on the bench. With the way Mitch is playing we can afford to have Silvio going through this adjustment period.

After tonight we have 2 home games in a row, Oklahoma St would be a great game to just let him play without the fear of the quick hook. This next week could be crucial to his development

Thank you. you are exactly 1000000000 % right, this is a point I’m trying to make. - -Yet some think I’m trying to ask Coach to move the Earth , BUT even 5 minutes a game would be a big improvement then what’s going on right now. - I just don’t see how anyone would ever get comfortable when they only touch the floor for 2 minutes. - -Like you said at best that only amounts to 4-5 possessions for the game - -and that’s dividing those between the offensive and defensive end.

Like you said and I felt Saturday would of been a perfect time to get him some needed game experience - -that game had zero effect on our season , and I don’t need to hear anyone talking about how it would effect our NCAA seeding , we have seen in the past how well we play to our seedings - -so save that. - -He has just got to put him out there let him play, as we have heard before or at least I have - -a lot of my friend have mentioned in the past with previous players, right now Silvio in that little two minute time is thinking to much instead of just going out and do what he does best - - just play the game.

Hell in two minutes he is thinking - OK is this right – is that right and then BAM back on the bench. - like you say at some point he has to let him play - so he makes a mistake - two mistakes - who on this team doesn’t? - -Silvio has more reason - more excuse to make those then anyone else on this team - -some time Coach has just got to let him loose for some time - -Thank you again buddy I understand exactly where your coming from with this. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• KUSTEVE said:

@Jayballer54 I hear you, but then I watch Dook and Virginia, and I think the same thing about those two teams. And I watch Purdew, and I think the same thing. Nova looks better, but I don’t see some unbeatable team. UNC ? No. Yes, we could get popped the first two rounds, or we could put together a nice run with this weak field this year. The three teams that looked the best in the SEC/B12 challenge other than us were Florida, Tenn, and Tucky, imo. And no one has any of those jokers on the national radar. So, it could wind up a good surprise like 2012 instead of a bad surprise like 2013.

Yes that’s very true my friend , I agree this year I really do not see a truly dominate team. There isn’t that one team that is head and shoulders above others. At the beginning of the year I would of said look out for Duke with Bagley , Carter & Tripper boy -but they have underachieved for sure, People talked about Michigan State , they haven’t really done that much , - - Kentucky is decent - -but very young, they are getting better but they don’t dominate, - -North Carolina? – psssssssssssssssssst please , - -If I had to really was forced to pick one - I guess maybe - - -maybe Villanova - -Or even Purdue , but yet I wouldn’t be betting the farm o those two.

There just isn’t any one team - - so for sure I reckon it could go either way - this year is a crap shoot, good points my friend. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Jayballer54

I know we focus so much on KU however there are plenty of players in the Big-12 playing as many minutes as Devonte. Let’s take a look.

Young- Sat 32 minutes sat in 9 games or 3.5 roughly a game

Dean Wade- 20 minutes sat in 8 games (not counting one he sat 16 in a blowout loss to Tech).

Carter- 22 minutes sat in 9 games

Weiler-Babb- playing 37 minutes a game for ISU

Brown- 17 minutes sat in 9 games (played 40 last 3)

I would love to see Devonte getting some rest. Part of that is on coach for not trusting the team to operate without him. Part of it is Graham wants to be out there. Self hates watching his team not do its job so its easy to see why Devonte plays so much. Devonte just has to fight through this as other guys are.

• dylans said:

Silvio is truly bad right now. There is no way to get him in the floor longer without throwing the game at this point. His seasoning is mostly for next year and hopefully, if we are lucky, spot minutes in March. Silvio has a big leg up on next year, but is so far behind this year I’m not sure he can be much help.

If you want to cry (I nearly did yesterday) go watch Billy Preston’s highlights from the pre-season games. He is exactly what’s missing from this years team to make it dominant.

if your trying to tell me by playing Silvio two-three more minutes for an entire game that we would be throwing the game? - -All I can say is WOW - -I’ll just leave it at that. – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Jayballer54

I agree he should have played more against Texas A&M. We were winning comfortably the entire game and it would have been nice to see him establish some rhythm with the team at home.

If he wants Silvio to be a reliable option by March the kid needs a chance to prove himself. At this point we’ve seen he’s not ready. Maybe a week from now its different, maybe 3 weeks from now. Who knows really.

• @Jayballer54 yes I am. Ku isn’t good enough to overcome 3 turnovers a minute. This team is on a razors edge between winning and losing every stinking game and Silvio’s plus minus is horrid, by far the worst in the team and I don’t think you have to even weight it for minutes played. 4-5 minutes for Silvio may be too long. Silvio is not ready yet. He’s a high schooler with no offseason under his belt. There is no way an additional 2-3 minutes of game time will help him. Expose him as not ready maybe, but prepare him? Please!?! That’s what practice is for the little bit of game time he gets is to gage his progress. Remember when Vick was a world beater? Well better opposition has ended that run and Silvio didn’t get to play against the scrubs in non con, so he didn’t get that advantage. Next year he’ll be fine, this year it would take a miracle or a much more talented player (like Preston, Bagley, or Ayton) a marginally talented guy (multi-year player) like Silvio isn’t likely to make an impact until the end of his first full year at best. A more reasonable projection is to see how he does his Jr year. That’s when I expect him to make an impact, both roster wise and developmentally. Anything we get this season is a bonus.

• @BeddieKU23 Yeah, the team goes to crap when Devonte’ is on the bench. I hope he’s getting used to the minutes I doubt they go down in March. The good thing about the tourney is there are a little longer breaks during the game. It partially eliminates the advantage that deep teams have.

• @dylans And like I said I would do - - -WOW.

• @Jayballer54 I am rather amazing.

• dylans said:

@Jayballer54 I am rather amazing.

Yes you certainly are

• dylans said:

@BeddieKU23 Yeah, the team goes to crap when Devonte’ is on the bench. I hope he’s getting used to the minutes I doubt they go down in March. The good thing about the tourney is there are a little longer breaks during the game. It partially eliminates the advantage that deep teams have.

Yeah the minutes are here to stay I think as well.

There is hope that Newman’s play lately could at least afford Self to sub him in and out near TV timeout’s. I really don’t know if an extra minute does anything here and there at this point though. Graham is just too valuable at this point to take out unless he got himself into foul trouble. We just have to continue to bank on Devonte being the best version of himself almost every night, this teams life depends on it

• @dylans

The only thing I would add to the whole Silvio discussion is 2 minutes of game action is a poor test of progress. It’s likely given the lack of bodies in the post that he’s performed better in practice then in the games otherwise wouldn’t you think he wouldn’t play at all?. That WVU game where he had a few good plays felt like the ceiling I think most of us are wishing he’d get to. Come in rebound and get an occasional bucket or 2. Can’t say he’s had much of a chance to do that recently.

What I’ve been concerned with the most with him is the lack of the basics, “doing your job”. You know setting a screen without getting called for a foul, or not catching a entry pass cleanly etc, or fouling someone as soon as they touch the ball in the post against you. Stuff that Silvio should already be generally okay at doing. This kid has played against guys older and just as talented as him for years with his national team and in other settings. So the fact that he’s looking so lost out there at times is concerning. It’s all mental for him.

• @BeddieKU23 I wonder just how limited the plays are for both offense and defense with Silvio in the game. It could have a lot to do with the short spurts of play for him.

• Barney said:

@BeddieKU23 I wonder just how limited the plays are for both offense and defense with Silvio in the game. It could have a lot to do with the short spurts of play for him.

Good point. I’m sure they can’t run certain plays with him yet. I do however believe that if Silvio survives his first stint without a negative play he might get another chance. He’s on the quick hook right now and the only way around it is for him to play mistake free basketball which is hard for someone in his position to do.