Iowa State Cyclones - Tuesday - 8 pm - ESPN2

• mayjay said:

@BShark Who did he mean?

We can only guess. Judging by the minutes maybe Cunliffe was one of them. He was barely in there.

Self also added we need all 8 players to be locked in. Was kinda odd.

• @BShark That is weird. I wonder if it was Vick early, or Doke–neither were very effective. Mitch seemed to do the usual things, not real effective but I didn’t see any selfish stuff. Everyone else had great spurts and some not-so-great spurts.

• Yeah it would be a lot easier if he just named them but then he’d be closer to Bruce Weber which…ewww…

I don’t think it would be Doke as he barely got to touch the ball but your guess is as good as mine.

• Svi left his man several times, self in his face

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

Svi left his man several times, self in his face

He was super bad defensively.

• which game was Svi super good defensively?

• Malik was great against Iowa State. I hope that continues. Svi failed to switch men defensively time and time again allowing his man wide open shots. But without Svi’s offense, it’s another home loss. In eleven minutes, Lightfoot missed his only attempt on a 3 and had exactly one rebound. Outrebounded at home by 10. Good grief.

• BShark said:

@Jayballer54 still don’t see how we could lose to ISU?

Very true hell we could lose to the infamous YMCA team of Topeka when you have a team that out of their first 30 shots 23 were from the three , hell playing like that my former little biddy ball team would have a shot to beat them. - That doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

When you have a seven foot 265 lb inside post player and that seven footer takes 5 shots for an entire game? - - what’s wrong with that picture? FIVE FRICKEN ATTEMPTS, they had no one that could match up with him - yet we want to jack three’s ended up 14-36 from three - - 36 3 point attempts - - that IS NOT going to win you very many games shooting that kind of pct , then on top of that getting only one shot of the miss get your ass handed to you yet AGAIN on rebounds - ya playing like that - - hell ya anybody can waltz right in to the phog , anywhere and beat our ass , your next question is? - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BShark said:

Newman lays up another brick which leads to a transition and one.

Zero shots for Udoka.

I hope ISU leads at half.

My point exactly - - FIVE FRICKEN shots for the game. - -FIVE - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Jayballer54 said:

BShark said:

Newman lays up another brick which leads to a transition and one.

Zero shots for Udoka.

I hope ISU leads at half.

My point exactly - - FIVE FRICKEN shots for the game. - -FIVE - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Not nearly enough 😕

• @Jayballer54

Watch games from last year and see how Lucas got himself in position to receive the pass inside. Udoka does not know how to do this yet and this is why he does not get as many shots inside. Basketball 101.

• BShark said:

You can see the signs with this ISU team. They are gonna be pretty good the next two years after taking their lumps this season.

Wigginton is a stud that I never understood why KU wasn’t pushing for. I guess some kids just go where they feel most comfortable. He did however have a slew of turnovers that cost them dearly late. He’ll be one of the best players in the league next season. I don’t see him at ISU all 4.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@Jayballer54

Watch games from last year and see how Lucas got himself in position to receive the pass inside. Udoka does not know how to do this yet and this is why he does not get as many shots inside. Basketball 101.

No why he is not getting shot is these guys come down and pass the ball 2-3 times and want to jack up a three, sorry I know I’m not in the minority on this one.- -I don’t care if he gets your Lucas position a half ass position - -3/4 of the time they don’t even begin to look inside. - -You want basketball 101 what is any EVEY coach tell you to do - -GET THE BALL INSIDE. - -I’m not accepting trying to put the blame on Doke for this. - -Even IF it is a half ass post up - you better be looking inside - they are giving NO effort to even try. - -You might want to talk to Coach Self see what he think on the situation. - - -NOPE not buying what your trying to sell . - -I’d probably be the same as Doke with this. - - WHY should I try and bust my ass to post up in here if they not even looking or making a concentrated effort to get the ball to me - -you see that what your talking about works both ways. - -Seen it happen to many times this season hell their putting up a three BEFORE Doke even has time TO post up.

If their not jacking up a three after the first three-four passes then that’s a minority of the night… - -Coach Self says we are to easy to defend because it is either three point attempt or dunk - -well there is a lot less dunks. - -You see what happened towards the end of the 1st half last night - -Doke had had ZERO - -ZERO attempts , there is a time out believe Self Called it and out of the time out and the finish of the half who scores the final 7 points of the half for us? - - Doke.- - now you tell me - -is that pure co-incidence or is that Coach Self all up in their ass about getting the ball inside to Doke? - -I’ll take the latter. - -They finally start to try and work the ball inside and you see the result.

Now are you going to tell me that just by accident that in that final 2 1/2 minutes that all of a sudden Doke decides he better try to post up so he can get the ball -OR could it be Coach Self just flat out ripped their ass, and then they decided to try and work harder to get it inside. - -Not buying anything your trying to sell on this thanks. - This is not on Doke - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BeddieKU23 said:

BShark said:

You can see the signs with this ISU team. They are gonna be pretty good the next two years after taking their lumps this season.

Wigginton is a stud that I never understood why KU wasn’t pushing for. I guess some kids just go where they feel most comfortable. He did however have a slew of turnovers that cost them dearly late. He’ll be one of the best players in the league next season. I don’t see him at ISU all 4.

Other priorities that obviously didn’t pan out for KU but have also shown to be ELITE OAD college players. KU never even really sniffed around. ISU, ASU and Oregon were the main players iirc.

They stole another great one with Talen Horton-Tucker who is up to #31 on the recent rivals update. They have a sneaky good class to add to their current core with a couple very solid sit out transfers as well. A year of improvement from Lard, Young, Wigginton and Weiler Babb. Add Shayok, Jacobson and THT and that is a pretty formidable 7. I think Conditt is more of a long term prospect (but a good/solid one). They just have to hope for improvement out of someone on the roster like Lewis or Talley or that Griffin or Haliburton are more college ready than expected to get them to a really nice 8 player rotation next year.

I really like their entire class long term provided they develop. Haliburton is a 6’5’’ PG and Griffin just gets buckets. Both better than their ranking IMO.

• It’s not just getting in position for Doke. There were plenty of possessions where he never touched the ball at all. Even if he isn’t wide open for a dunk because of great position it’s not a terrible idea to get the ball to him to see if the defense will collapse.

• @Jayballer54

There is a really easy way to check it. Watch a replay of the game and you will see how often Doke is ready to receive the pass in a position to score and how often he is not. Same thing with rebounding, with his size he should be averaging 12-15 rpg but he is not because he does not know how to box out and position himself to get a rebound. BTW, the rebounding part is true for most KU players and this is why KU is being out rebounded by just about every team.

You don’t have to believe me, just watch the game, I am sure is available on ESPN3.

• BShark said:

It’s not just getting in position for Doke. There were plenty of possessions where he never touched the ball at all. Even if he isn’t wide open for a dunk because of great position it’s not a terrible idea to get the ball to him to see if the defense will collapse.

Exactly , - -NO TOUCHES – -ZERO - whether he was half way posted up or not. - Because hell if they made over 3 passes before jacking it up - very unusual - - shooting that many three’s is not going to cut it. - - Especially against the WV - -Oklahoma’s - -Texas Tech, - you r spot on. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@Jayballer54

There is a really easy way to check it. Watch a replay of the game and you will see how often Doke is ready to receive the pass in a position to score and how often he is not. Same thing with rebounding, with his size he should be averaging 12-15 rpg but he is not because he does not know how to box out and position himself to get a rebound. BTW, the rebounding part is true for most KU players and this is why KU is being out rebounded by just about every team.

You don’t have to believe me, just watch the game, I am sure is available on ESPN3.

Check out B Shark’s comment above - -that’s exactly what I’m talking about. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Doke’s rebounding is definitely not great, I can agree with that.

• @Jayballer54

KU guards are shooting and not passing oriented. Unfortunately we don’t have a gifted passer that can thread the needle and get the ball inside and does not help that our center does not get himself in a position to receive the ball. The closest we have are the alley oops to Vick.

I posted a link before from Jesse Newell that has side by side videos that illustrate exactly what I am saying. I am not the first or only one that sees it, look it up and you will see exactly what I am trying to tell you…or not.

• All of a sudden we are missing Brady Morningstar. Now that was a dude that could feed the post.

• I miss Kirk Hinrich.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich You would. 🙂 (I think we all miss him, though)

• BShark said:

All of a sudden we are missing Brady Morningstar. Now that was a dude that could feed the post.

Uh oh…don’t get HEM started!

• Doke has two issues out of his control.

He has to be careful about fouling when the post is fed or rebounding. KU has no significant backup for him.

The 3’s cause long rebounds in many cases and are out of his reach.

I know he is working on his rebounding game, but sometimes he just has to watch.

Just IMHO…