Too Bad Baker

• The Heisman Memorial Trophy (usually known colloquially as the Heisman Trophy or The Heisman), is awarded annually to the most outstanding player in college football in the United States whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/baker-mayfield-will-play-but-not-start-oklahomas-game-against-west-virginia/

Not so much integrity. Guess he’s out for the Heisman.

• @nuleafjhawk The heisman has always bugged me because it’s usually not the best player in college football, it’s the best QB, RB or in some cases the best receiver or rarely defensive player. Pretty sure no defensive lineman or linebacker or offensive lineman or even fullback has won the thing.

It’s always interesting to note that when RB’s and QB’s rack up impressive stats it’s only because of the offensive linemen. It’s why Ron Dayne remains my favorite college player because after gaining 300 yards or whatever he’d be interviewed and he’d always tell the interviewer to go talk to the offensive linemen because they were the ones who made it possible.

As for Mayfield, I haven’t followed OU too closely to know what the issues are with him, but I’ll read your link and find out.

• @nuleafjhawk Just like Famous Jameis was a few years back.

@wissox Baker Mayfield is someone who hasn’t learned how to control his emotions yet and has made an add if himself on multiple occasions both on and off the field.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Of course KU captains refusing to shake his hands comes across as pretty poor too. Up here in Chicago they showed that not mentioning that Baker was acting the fool too.

• Winston and Manzel got it, obviously class has little to with these days unfortunately. It goes to the best player that comes from a high profile school. Honestly I thought the Klein kid from KSU should’ve won it a few years back.

• @wissox Baker’s incident was the final one of the 3 moments in the game. The handshake was first, nothing about Mayfield provoking Kansas players ahead of time to warrant the any. Defense’s cheap shot was the next incident, and then Baker grabbing his junk and cursing at KU came last.

• This article gives more context. Apparently he has been a jerk all along and his antics last Saturday are not new.

• Mayfield is a punk all on his own.

And we executed a completely punk move all on our own, which reflected on our university, and was sanctioned by a coach whose compass is way off.

• @wissox Charles Woodson in 1997 seems to be the only primarily defensive player to win. He was a CB, but even then he occasionally played at WR and also returned punts. (He beat Peyton for the Award. Go Meeeeeechigan!)

But I am shocked you think no fullback has won. Perhaps a Badger before Ron Dane? Two others did, too, the last being Steve Owens in 1969.

I was surprised that no offensive or defensive lineman has ever won.

• @mayjay I go back to the mid 70’s for sports. I see Alan Ameche a FB from Wisconsin won! Thanks for the education!

• @wissox Youngster! (snort)