Langford

• @FarmerJayhawk

Double edged sword with “go getting talent”

Billy luckily never played but his issues were known. Turns out he had more then we thought

Still KU’s name gets dragged through the mud. It looks bad no matter what.

Bassey should have a stay clear sign on him. Duke, Kentucky- they are not knocking on his door. Says something

• jayballer73 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

It looks really bad, I see no other way around that. Should have known better to expect recruiting tactics to completely change. We have to get away from these kids with eligibility issues

Thank you.-- EXACTLY my feeling. - -seems like these last three four years - -always something.Would be nice to be able to have at least one peaceful recruiting season.

Doesn’t seem possible. 2018 has been mostly. Still not convinced that door is closed

• @JayHawkFanToo Wish I could upvote your statement a Quadzillion times

• BeddieKU23 said:

@FarmerJayhawk

Billy luckily never played but his issues were known. Turns out he had more then we thought

Bassey should have a stay clear sign on him. Duke, Kentucky- they are not knocking on his door. Says something

Same with Preston tbh. He was a top 20 recruit and KU was competing with Indiana, Syracuse and USC for him…

• BShark said:

BeddieKU23 said:

@FarmerJayhawk

Same with Preston tbh. He was a top 20 recruit and KU was competing with Indiana, Syracuse and USC for him…

Even Diallo didn’t have as many heavy hitters in it. Cliff as well.

I’m just stunned we are recruiting Bassey no matter if the rumors on him are false. Playing with fire.

• @FarmerJayhawk So you are saying recruit the top notch talent no matter what the consequences is no matter what? - Just use the I’ll be dam approach. - - -Let’s take the glory today for the possible consequences tomorrow -The throw all caution to the wind right?

• BeddieKU23 said:

jayballer73 said:

BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

It looks really bad, I see no other way around that. Should have known better to expect recruiting tactics to completely change. We have to get away from these kids with eligibility issues

Thank you.-- EXACTLY my feeling. - -seems like these last three four years - -always something.Would be nice to be able to have at least one peaceful recruiting season.

Doesn’t seem possible. 2018 has been mostly. Still not convinced that door is closed

Just when it looked like things were on a good track too… Might be a struggle to keep perceived locks in 19, time will tell.

At this point just keep Jacobs, add Harvey, JRE and another big.

• jayballer73 said:

@BeddieKU23 Boy I sure don’t know about Bassey. - -Good player but flags , flags , flags , - -exactly what is the poison that is surrounding this guy? - Is that people are just speculating of bad things because of the Worm at Western Kentucky? - or is it something else? - -I he has legit concerns then we need to Run and Run as fast as we can run. - we need to put a stop to these iffy players. Coach must think they will be o with him. - -Big flag is you don’t really see any of the other blue bloods really recruiting him

2016 ruled ineligible to play in Texas. Eligibility issues started there.

"Two years later, Bassey came to Louisville. He’s now 6 feet, 10 inches and scoring more than 20 points per game as a junior for Aspire Academy, a prep school in its second year of existence and first in Louisville."

Has a guardian- those haven’t been working out too well lately. His guardian has some financial issues that will be a nightmare for the NCAA.

After Bassey led St. Anthony to a 32-win season as a freshman, The Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools declared Bassey and teammates ineligible the following November. The ruling was tied to improper financial benefits and “sponsorship by a charitable organization for tuition, room and board,” according to the San Antonio Express-News.

“We didn’t know anything about that,” Auriantal said. “I got hired and I brought them with me, like any parent, any family would do. I didn’t do anything different than a regular parent would have done. It just went out from proportion.”

Auriantal’s Yes II Success was registered as a nonprofit organization but had its nonprofit status revoked on May 15, 2017, for “failure to file a Form 990-series return or notice for three consecutive years,” according to the Internal Revenue Service’s database.

Last year, a Bexar County, Texas, judge awarded Auriantal and his wife custody of Bassey, according to the Express-News.

This past summer, soon after an investigative Express-News story detailing Bassey’s road to San Antonio, Auriantal was fired from his position at St. Anthony.

Debra Del Toro, communications director for the University of The Incarnate Word, which runs St. Anthony, did not return a call by Courier Journal for this story.

Auriantal’s exit in July spawned a rapid search for a new school to welcome Bassey and his St. Anthony teammates, which led them to Aspire.

“Jeremy (Kipness) is a good person. That’s all we’re looking for, a good person. From there, the relationship grew," Auriantal said. "… Basketball is just a sport. Go out there and play. But the person, that’s what got us in the door.”

Kipness said it was like if the players came to a Kentucky High School Atheltic Association school and wanted to play. “They wouldn’t be eligible. There’s rules in place for a reason, but a lot of times it kind of hinders and hurts the kids,” he said.

“I think they’re in an environment now where they’re able to really develop and grow without worrying about any of those outside noises,” Kipness said.

• Aspire Academy is shady af.

• BShark said:

Aspire Academy is shady af.

His guardian as well.

• @BeddieKU23 OH LORD - -WHY? - WHY are we messing with somebody like this? - - JUMPIN - - -GEE - -HOSSIE - - TOADS --what the hell is going on, surely we can do better then go after recruits such as this

• @jayballer73

Wish I had the answer. Is their an ask Self hotline?

• @BeddieKU23 Maybe we need to get one established - -and soon lol

• It only makes any sense for 18. In 19 just go after Dante if he reclasses, Kofi Cockburn if not.

• @BeddieKU23

Bassey is originally from Nigeria. He has a guardian as most every foreign kid that comes to the US would have. Not necessarily a sign of improper actions. The other issues give pause for sure though.

• justanotherfan said:

@BeddieKU23

Bassey is originally from Nigeria. He has a guardian as most every foreign kid that comes to the US would have. Not necessarily a sign of improper actions. The other issues give pause for sure though.

Of course not every guardian causes an issue for their players.

We seem to have a high batting average for finding the one’s that do. I’m shocked we are even in the game for these types with what’s going on

• @BeddieKU23

Didn’t Skal Labissiere had a similar guardian and similar issues? It did not seem to affect his year at UK.

• @JayHawkFanToo UK clearly has a great cover-up department. 😂

• @BShark

Nike money as deep as our founding fathers😛

Adidas money found the nearest FBI agent😲

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@BeddieKU23

Didn’t Skal Labissiere had a similar guardian and similar issues? It did not seem to affect his year at UK.

Forgot about him. What did his guardian do? Wasn’t he the kid that survived some horrendous living conditions in Haiti

• @BeddieKU23

Just about everybody in Haiti lives in horrendous conditions. I seem to recall he started a school for him and he was taking classes at a regular school while playing for another or something along these lines.

I believe a lot if not most of these so called guardians are really scouts and agents interested in getting foreign kids with potential and leading them to the big money and taking a cut and not necessarily looking out for the kids and in the process creating a bunch of future headaches for the schools that take them.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Thanks for joggin the ol noggin there. Yup Skal played for a team created by his guardian. Apparently nothing shady about any of that stuff. That was so 2015 ish right??

• @BeddieKU23

He played for UK 2015-2016 so his HS dealing were just before that.

• jayballer73 said:

@FarmerJayhawk So you are saying recruit the top notch talent no matter what the consequences is no matter what? - Just use the I’ll be dam approach. - - -Let’s take the glory today for the possible consequences tomorrow -The throw all caution to the wind right?

I’m saying that to play in this sandbox, sometimes you have to get a little dirty. We shouldn’t be reckless about it, but sometimes you have to deal with shady people and bend some rules.

• @BeddieKU23 Lmao - -now you stop that - -play nice lol