KU's March Depends on Frank Staying Hot or...

• …Someone else shooting 51% from treyville on 5-7 3ptas per game.

Assuming no seeding and whistle asymmetry.

KU also needs for Frank’s leg he was dragging to get better. I fear Frank is entering his slump same as Tyshawn did down the stretch with a nagging injury triggering it.

But like Donald Trump, this team has defied the odds many times.

Here is to hoping for another month of brilliance from Frank!!!

• Or…

An unheralded guy steps up. I think this happens often in March. A guy that the other team does not aggressively scout for has a huge day. Sadly I can think of McNamara against us in the final in 2003, Spike Albrecht in the final in 2013 (losing effort) and Grayson Allen in the 2015 final. Those are of course just examples in single games but I think that is all it will take. I don’t see Frank having multiple off nights on our way to a National Championship. I think he will play well in 5 of 6.

My money is on Svi pulling his head out of his ass and hitting 5 or 6 3’s in one game when we desperately need him. Rock Chalk.

• @jaybate-1.0 Frank doesn’t need to shoot 3’s to get his. At this point, he has been so deadly from 3 teams will guard him too aggressively from 3 and he can get to the lane and the line often enough to put up 20.

It is LL getting in foul problems that could cause us problems. And that is where we will need someone to step up. Aaaand that is where I think Coleby steps in as our savior one game in March. He will have an 8 point 8 rebound 3 block game that saves us.

• @Kcmatt7 I hope you are right, or even Bragg pulls his head out!

• @Crimsonorblue22

Bragg? I don’t know. I believe the only chance he has for recovery this season is if we all agree that he has no chance; that is usually when guys come around; when Self can walk up to them and say, “You know, no one believes in you any more, but I do.” Then they go out and do something incredible. Gotta put Bragg behind the :8ball:

• @jaybate-1.0 I believe he is doing that, w/Svi and Bragg.

• For years I have seen board rats state that if you just give these high recruits playing time they will be ready by March. Well, it’s time for Braggto prove that; he has had plenty opportunity to be ready. He needs to break out now.

• @Blown

PHOF

• @Crimsonorblue22 said:

I believe he is doing that, w/Svi and Bragg.

Uh, oh, that means THAT’s not working either.

Big trouble in river city.

• @jaybate-1.0 Self, on Svi, said he needs to quit thinking and just play. #kubball

• @Blown

Hypothesis: Mick will shortly experience the kind of problems Rick Pitino has.

• @jaybate-1.0

I doubt Frank stays hot every game in March. And he shouldn’t have to.

In the least, when he is having a down night his other two amigos should be stepping up to have his back.

But we are always going to need support in the post. Landen isn’t going to come through every night either. We now know that Carlton and Dwight are capable of having big nights. Let’s hope they both come through when needed in March.

I’m also hopeful Mitch steps up for a few valuable moments.

• @drgnslayr

If Frank finally has his 9 game shooting slump that brings his gaudy 51% trifectation down to the realistic for him low 40s, this team is going to fight and scramble with one hand tied behind its back, same as the 2012 team did when Tyshawn came down out of the stratosphere from treyville.

And one of those nine games, KU is ulnerable to not being able to compensate; that is the danger.

So IMHO we need for Frank to defy the law of averages and stay on a tear.

• @jaybate-1.0 Ok. Now you’ve got me worried about the law of averages. Thanks a lot!

• @jaybate-1.0

You have it wrong stating that Mason shooting 50% from the 3 is an anomaly and 40% is his average. His average over 30 games and 134 3 point attempts IS 50%, this is a large, season long sample and not an anomaly. The law of averages or return to the mean indicates that he is more likely to shoot 50% from the 3 than 40%…which would be the anomaly.

• @JayHawkFanToo not if the sample size was his entire career. What is his 4 year average?

• @Blown

42.5% (170-400) currently for his career.

If you only include the 3 years he’s started- 44% (152-345)

In conference play- 42.9% for his career.

• @Hawk8086 nah, players can improve their shot.

• @jaybate-1.0

You know how this goes. It only takes one bad night to go home early. That is part of the intrigue of March Madness. Rarely does the best team of that year win… it is the best team for 6 games.

“No tomorrow!”

I like our chances this year. “Chance” is the right word.

Looks like your connection to KU Buckets was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.