Rule Change; Free the Mid Range Game!!!

• Outside of the OAD fiasco, apparent Big Shoeco-Big Agency driven recruiting asymmetry, alleged tournament seeding asymmetry and apparent officiating asymmetry aimed at enhancing eyeballs and betting, the biggestest, easy to resolve deficiency of college basketball is the lack of incentive to score anywhere other that the short Trey, or the long Trey. It has left us with a high volatility shooting game with winners increasingly determined by which ever team has a randomly higher long ball shooting percentage on any given night. Defensive scheme matters less and less. Offensive scheme matters less and less. Brannen Greenes matter more and more, because the more of them you have the higher and more frequent the above average shooting night lets you beat the opponent, even if they are quite a bit better. Death by Trey. And as I outlined last season, until this incentive system is changed shortly D1 coaches will begin shooting quick treys every possession until they have a lead to defend and then they will defend it banging for short T treys. Once everyone has copied Self, then the next thing will be quick trigger Treying EVERY possession. It’s just been tradition that has made it take this long not to shoot treys quickly every possession. Statistically, the quick Trey every possession will beat every team that tries to play a diversified shooting offense. There is no way around it, especially as the lane is widened, which essentially reduces the short three by big men to a lower percentage shot and thus to two free throws.

OH, and the mid range J is used only in conjunction with jumping into a defender for a hoped for FT, while the 10-15 foot hook is extinct.

Solution:

Erase the current Trey stripe.

Paint a 24 foot 4-point stripe.

Paint a 12 foot 3 point stripe.

Everything inside 12 is 2 points.

Put a GPS chip in the ball, and let an impartial computer with a video tape trailand paper trail of calculations decide with vastly superior accuracy and reliability than refs can do, how many points to award made baskets. This frees the referees to focus on calling fouls correctly, or to be being even more apparently biased!

Free the mid range game!

• @jaybate-1.0

Very interesting post.

I kind of like the idea of having a 4-pt line and bringing the 3-pt line in closer, basically making it a 3-pt mid-range shot.

One issue is that you can DOUBLE the scoring from far versus the easy slam. This could get very interesting. It would open up the door for some very wild finishes to games. I could see teams that are behind not even guarding in the paint and giving away 2s.

FTs would almost become meaningless… so perhaps that gets changed, too. How about making a rule that if the player SWISHES a FT, he gets 2 points? I know it brings it another area where things could go wrong. But… that is where technology helps out with sensors in the rim.

I like the idea of putting a GPS chip in the ball. Make the rule that it is the ball that has to be behind the line when leaving the player’s hand. So there would have to be a sensor that would read when the ball leaves the hand. All very possible technology that could remove bad officiating from the equation. I’m guessing schools like Duke (and other BigShoeBought universities) would fight this because it reduces their officiating advantage.

Think about all the calls that could be decided by technology and corrected… Goal-tending calls… out of bounds calls…

All of these changes would totally change the game… but we have already gone down that path, thanks to BigShoe and BigMoneyMarketing.

• @jaybate-1.0

Nice concept but the GPS part is not quite yet feasible. First, GPS currently does not work indoors, Second, it takes time to obtain accurate positioning; the ball would have to stay in place without moving for while to get to even sub-meter accuracy…provide all the satellites are visible. There is currently no way to locate the ball accurately enough to determine position while moving.

There are other systems in use that track movement using ceiling mounted cameras and sensors, such as those used by the high end system used by NBA teams. Sorry…GPS is just not an option.

• Having a GPS system would be great for basketball especially in regards to fatigue and stress on the body. I know plenty of College Football teams use GPS tracking to track players usage. It helps them find out what players are exerting maximum effort and when to back off on others. Very useful tool, something teams could really use as a benefit.

• @BeddieKU23

GPS stands for Global Positioning System and uses satellites to indicate location. What football players use are sensors with local telemetry, i.e. sensor information is send to remote data collection equipment.

• @jaybate-1.0 …One point for a lay up?

• @BeddieKU23

And give the coaches true quantifiable data proving which players slack off and which one hustle most of the time.

• @wrwlumpy

Coach Dean Smith used to have a practice where they kept tracks of the score and layups counted 3 points, jumpers 2 and 3 pointers and dunks 1. He always thought that the layup was the most efficient play.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Good assist. Tell the shoe whores to write a check for a large order Of satellite gps units, or the units already being used to track real time performance and bio metrics and hang them from the scoreboard in every D1 arena. . The outfit that builds them would love an order for 300 plus units. Economies of scale rule. If they get greedy, pay a Chinese outfit to reverse engineer some for a dime on the dollar. Nothing is too good for the greatest game ever invented…

• @JayHawkFanToo

That was the mindset that could hold Jordan to 14 Ppg!

• Shoot the tech is so there we could track both the ball AND the body heat signature and the chips in the toes of both shoes simultaneously. The Internet of things rules!!!

• We could probably run the whole system through Find My Mac with a iPhone 6 at court side, if we could get the nerds at Apple on board.

• @wrwlumpy

It depends on how many lay ups you want being shot.

I would like to see fouls increased to three or four shots so teams really had to pay for the contact. Or alternatively reduce permitted fouls from 5 to 4. Prefer 3-4 FTs to keep from favoring the haves that can rotate so many guys in.

• Free throws should be worth more…

FT = 2 pts for Adidas schools

FT = 3 pts for Nike schools

FT = -2 pts for Under Armour schools

• @drgnslayr

Lol!

• @jaybate-1.0 technology would absolutely support putting a chip into basketballs and some sort of fiber connection into trey and quad strip lines. It’d be easy.

• @jaybate-1.0

Google “goal line technology” to see what other sports like soccer and tennis are using…

• @Lulufulu

Oooh, I like that–fiber, or conductive material, in the lines on the floor.

This is what I love about the high tech era: there is a vast ocean of knowledge and technology and someone can always rig up something that will work, and usually cost effectively if they are allowed some time and budget to try to.

Rock Chalk!

• @JayHawkFanToo

Will do.