USA/Chile - Box Score Review

• Based only on the USA-Chile box score, here are some things that stuck out to me:

1. Landen Lucas 14 rebounds.

2. Hunter Mickelson 8/10 shooting, 16 points.

3. Wayne Selden 3/3 from three point range, 7 rebounds, 3 steals, and 5 assists.

4. Carlton Bragg, 7 rebounds in 12 minutes of play.

5. Perry Ellis 9 points.

6. Jamari Traylor 2 points, 2 rebounds in 14 minutes, and 4 turnovers.

7. Lagerald Vick 16+ minutes, no turnovers.

8. Frank Mason 23 points, 67% shooting, 80% from the line.

Anything else stand out?

• @HighEliteMajor MIght Coach Self be letting Mickelson’s leash out a lot more and tightening Traylor’s in? I hope so. We’ll see what happens later with Serbia.

I mean, thats a huge difference right there.

• @HighEliteMajor Sounds like somebody lit a fire under Landen.

• @HighEliteMajor If the Nightengale report was correct, Lucas bagged those 14 rebounds in a mere 13 minutes of play. WOW!

• Seems like an extremely long wait to see Mickelson win major playing time in a Kansas lineup. He appears to be making the most of his senior opportunity.

• Concerned about the number of assists by the guards. Think Seldon led the way there.

• it sure is nice (and FUN) to play a weak team! lucas and Mickelson shone because they weren’t out muscled or outclassed… Jamari… my favorite jayhawk… sigh… 😞 I can only hope he has some key bursts throughout the season or he will see a lot of bench time.

• @HighEliteMajor

“Anything else stand out?”

You know what stands out… the comparison of Jamari with Landen and Hunter. It is clear that Hunter and Landen are finding more ways to contribute than Jamari. Jamari seems to be lost in the quicker pace of this game. Funny… since he is an energy guy… My first inclination is to hope Hunter and Landen get more minutes… especially Hunter. But if we aren’t going to keep to this in the regular season and we go back to Jamari, then Jamari needs to still get the minutes here in order (hope) that he starts executing better in a quicker game.

I’m starting to become doubtful that Jamari will figure this out. His biggest negative is his lack of basketball IQ, and that shows up big when games speed up. Wow, 2 pts, 2 rebs and 4 TOs against a real patsy team says quite a bit.

This is one of those areas of Kansas basketball where many of us go against Self’s tactics. We tend to want to make changes quicker and go with a guy who seems to have earned more minutes, whereas Self likes to be a “player’s coach” and put trust that by keeping a guy in the lineup, it will pay off later. A big time conflict with his typical strategy of yanking freshmen after their first mistake.

At this point, the blog community in here typically starts splitting up… those who “trust in Self” and those who believe their own strategy is better. I have to admit I bounce on both sides of this fence.

• Not a good game from which to draw conclusions. KU was scoring quick and oftengainst an over-matched Chilean team that was missing a lot of shots so there were a lot more opportunities for the bigs to shine against the weak competition. Let’s see how they perform against the better, more experienced Euro players rather than the Chilean players that are clearly not in the same league as the KU players.

• @HighEliteMajor said:

Anything else stand out?

We kicked butt! This stood out to me 106-41 !!! It was like KU playing some kids at a Bill Self camp!

• @Bwag 24 second clock. They feel the need for…SPEED…

• @drgnslayr i don’t think Jamari has been the same since Tarik left. The ball handling, bad passes, and bad shot selection have me perplexed. Then he’ll make a brilliant play after making the worst play of the night. He plays too fast mentally - he hasn’t learned to slow the brain as his body is going fast. One thing I noticed that really stands out about Frank and Wayne is the way they are playing calmer mentally while they are playing fast. Our energy guy is doing the mental energizer bunny thing upstairs, and he is defeating himself with it.

• @KUSTEVE Don’t doubt you but it is still concerning. When ball handlers aren’t getting others engaged and our non-ball-handling 3 is now leading the team in assists. If it truly the way of the reduced shot clock, then the game of b-ball is diminished in my mind at least.

• @Bwag Our assist guy is sitting over there on the bench taking it all in (Devonte).

• I do think that we can take certain things from this game (all without watching it) that fit the pattern.

Three main things – Selden’s excellent play (at the 3), Traylor’s poor play and Mickelson’s surge.

We have seen all of this occur against the better WUG competition (Turkey and Brazil) too.

Chile obviously sucks – as @Statmachine said, like “kids at a Bill Self camp.” That game, in a vacuum, means nothing.

We have story lines that have developed, and I think those three items really lead the way so far in Korea.

• @HighEliteMajor Yes to me there is & a few have lightly touched on it but I must expound. The friggin 24 sec clock has shown me loud & clear just how much apprehension I have about the future changes of CBB. This has boldly displayed how the game as we know it may be in jeopardy. I hate the hurry up, faster, faster, individual player crap of the NBA & it’s incursion towards the denigration ofTEAM CONCEPT college ball. Pick & roll, pick & roll, yawn, shake , bake & shoot, yawn again. This is just one man’s opinion, but I believe it’s Pure D horse manure. I enjoyed the game vs Canada at Sprint mostly because I was there & needed a fix, but I honestly could barely watch the dvr’ed games, as they are so boring & predictable. I’m sincerely hoping that the 30 sec clock this year doesn’t begin to diminish what has taken a complete century of masterful coaching skills, natural athletic evolution, & steadfast technical improvements to create & refine. I also hope Mr.Naismith is not turning over in his grave already accepting conclusion…If international ball is the wave of the future, then about once every 4 years, like Olympic hockey, curling or street luge will probably be enough for us purists. Might not even take that much for me to get my fill. Again, this is certainly JMO, & I’m still interested because this competition is mirrored by the University of Kansas, but if these WUG’s were represented by any other college on the planet I wouldn’t even turn it on for a second game. Thanks for letting me sound off.

• Selden is the thing that stands out to me from this game and in general this summer. If he is hitting 3’s that is great but what I really like is it seems like the bounce is back. He is dunking the ball a lot and appears to be aggressive in a new and more confident way. How many layups did he miss over the last couple of years…many of which seemed like he should have just dunked?

If Selden is our best player this year I think we are going to be the best team in the country. Perry is a rock and will put up his 14 and 7. Frank Mason is a rock and will score when we need him and will dish tons of assists if that is what the game requires. I’d like to see Selden be the scorer. 17-18 a game is totally possible with the way he is playing as he is both bombing 3’s and scoring at the rim.

• @joeloveshawks Graham will be kinda good too! I was looking up guys that received MVP awards from the McDonalds AA, NBPA Top 100 Camp, and Jordan Brand Classic? You will look all day long unless you start with Diallo! If all 5 can average double figures we are going to be kinda tough to beat with so many quality pieces!

• @globaljaybird Amen & Amen! Watched more of the NBA playoffs this year than most (heaven knows why & really, found hockey to be MUCH more entertaining) and outside of a couple teams/series, found it extremely boring basketball punctuated by some highlight, athletic plays.

I can only hope that the college game does not go to that. Extend the 3 point line, widen the lane, and even shorten the half court clock, but for heaven’s sake, don’t turn CBB into the one/two man b-ball of the NBA. BORING. How many times have you heard sports fans say that they don’t start watching NbA until playoffs…it’s meaningless and not much fun to watch. Might as well get your bball fix from sportscenter.

• @Statmachine Totally agree on Graham. He will be a total stud this year. I also feel Diallo will be great although not a great offensive player early on in the year. That could change as the season goes on.

I tend to look at Selden / Perry / Mason as the “Big 3” if you will. We have a lot of guys who can score and a ton of talent but to me our season will be decided on how those 3 veterans play.

• @drgnslayr Watch, Jamari will have a great game against Serbia.

Im not going to bet on it but wouldnt that just figure?

• @HighEliteMajor

If we can take certain things from a game against inferior competition, what do you take from these two games played just before the WUG and against much, much better competition and which should provide better information?

Canada1.JPG

Canada2.JPG

• @HighEliteMajor Landon Lucas - 14 boards. Coach Self must have ripped his hiney for being "SOFT

If Hunters minutes and results continue, its gonna mean a couple things. 1. Hunter’s leash is off and 2. One of our returning bigs will see a decrease in minutes this fall.

Carlton is a tough kid. Once that mask comes off, he’s going to be a stud.

Ellis, 9 points on a bum ankle. Meh.

Traylor, think we’ve beaten that dead horse to death multiple times. But watch, He will have a killer game against Serbia.

Vick will get minutes this fall.

Mason is a machine. How long can he keep it up?

• @JayHawkFanToo and @HighEliteMajor

I think you both make interesting and though provoking remarks.

Any individual game can be very situational in terms of how much PT a player gets.

Against good opponents, Self may play Player A more because he is a good player, and less against weak opponents, because he is developing lesser players against weak opponents.

Or it can be match-up driven. Player A plays more because he holds MUA, or less because he does not, and a back up does.

Or it can be a case of lighting a fire under the ass of an older player, as appeared to occur in the first Canada exhibition regarding the Jam Tray.

Or it can be a player being in the bottom third of his performance distribution and stinking up the floor a time when Self can not afford to let him work through the funk.

Or it can be Self penalizing a player for practicing poorly.

Or Self may have had an argument with an unhappy parent and proving a point to them about who runs the team.

Or Self may have had a fight with Cin and decided to phone one in by relying on his old reliables and forgetting about trying to develop the problem guys that game.

And so on.

On the other hand, whether a player gets 8 minutes, 18 minutes, or 38 minutes, his per minute production can reasonably be commented upon under most if not all of the situational conditions above.

Also, when one observes low numbers in a players line score that are similar to a couple of seasons of his past performances, these situational numbers support a historical pattern and are rightly noted.

All data means something.

Its up to us understand their contexts and conditions shaping their manifestation.

The above noted, one place where I and others have not been rigorous enough is analyzing Jamari’s on ball defense and help defense. I am usually pretty good about keeping an eye out for the kind of defensive play that doesn’t show in the box score, but I confess I have failed to analyse Jamari in this regard, since I have been half asleep and focusing on the new players.

Perhaps you two and others will weigh in on what you have noted in Jamari’s on ball and help defense. Is he contributing a lot there that may make up for his somewhat volatile line score game to game so far?