KU Buckets
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    KU ROSTER 2026-27

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved KU Basketball / Other NCAAM
    777 Posts 38 Posters 175.7k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • BSharkB Offline
      BShark @kjayhawks2.0
      last edited by

      @kjayhawks2.0 said in KU ROSTER 2026-27:

      This is getting very interesting and do we have the money for all of this? Guess if a few football players checks bounce it’s okay not like they’ve earned them at all in most cases.

      From my limited understanding it's easier to raise money now for known quantities (can't get more known than Mel and TKR) at this stage if they want to be here than it is "mystery recruits" early in the process.

      Absolutely do not click (new video sept 30 2025): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjs1LR1sarQ

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
      • M Offline
        MN Hawk
        last edited by

        While adding Tre is a no-brainer, I think Melvin's situation is more nuanced. There are likely two point guards already on the team with higher ceilings. Would we bench one of them to play the guy with a higher floor? Melvin is among my favorite transfers all time, and I really enjoyed watching his enthusiasm and determination, but his outside shooting just is not there. And if there's a chance to get a solid post player where we really need another guy, that seems to be the priority for the last slot. Farmer Jayhawk mentioned the chance of one of the current guys to shift into a manager role, but I just read something from Bill Self who said once the school uses scholarship money to pay tuition that that player is locked in for the year. So there's only one spot left. Self also mentioned that Melvin might actually decide to go elsewhere as there may not be much in the way of NIL money for him (or maybe playing time?) at KU.

        drgnslayrD 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
        • drgnslayrD Offline
          drgnslayr @MN Hawk
          last edited by

          @MN-Hawk Definitely a tough one to sort out. I believed, all along, this day would come and Both Tre and Mel would obtain at least temporary approval. Both will be challenged, and I wouldn't be surprised if we go 1 for 2. I know Melvin's outside shooting is subpar, but when looking at this team, maybe what we need most from him is his junkyard attitude and energy. I'm thinking we should have solid trey shooting this year. Actually... I wouldn't mind seeing Melvin be our 6th man. Imagine that energy he will bring off the bench! Looking at Melvin's stats... he's solid, except for outside shooting. Melvin is a team cheerleader. I can think of so many Self teams that needed someone who could spark the team! Just my opinion.

          I smell a run! (better buy more toilet paper)

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
          • M Offline
            MN Hawk
            last edited by

            I was wondering if he’d be satisfied being a 6th man. Perfect role for him to my mind.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
            • Jayhawk_69J Offline
              Jayhawk_69
              last edited by

              I can see why people say Melvin would be perfect as a 6th man. He certainly would be. However, I think that's unlikely to happen. If Melvin were to join the team, he would start unless Blyden turns out to be really really good right away and takes the starting point guard role from him

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
              • Kcmatt7K Offline
                Kcmatt7
                last edited by

                They need a big man more than a PG if you have to choose.

                If they find a way to get both bending whatever rules, than Melvin starts and plays a ton and it is what it is. Lowers our ceiling imo, but he would be the heart of the team.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
                • JAYHAWKFAN214J Offline
                  JAYHAWKFAN214
                  last edited by

                  This post is deleted!
                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • JAYHAWKFAN214J Offline
                    JAYHAWKFAN214
                    last edited by JAYHAWKFAN214

                    The dog may be back it officially
                    https://x.com/KUHoops/status/2106773996716863893

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • Jayhawk_69J Offline
                      Jayhawk_69
                      last edited by

                      For added context, last night Melvin Council posted on social media that he would announce his choice this morning between Kentucky, LSU, and "Mitchigan". There was some suspicion at the time that he may have been trolling.

                      B 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • JAYHAWKFAN214J Offline
                        JAYHAWKFAN214
                        last edited by

                        https://x.com/KUHoops/status/2106777379976712701

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                        • rockchalkjayhawkR Offline
                          rockchalkjayhawk
                          last edited by

                          I guess that means neither Dajuan nor KJ were available.

                          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                          • B Offline
                            BeddieKU23 @Jayhawk_69
                            last edited by

                            @Jayhawk_69

                            He was trolling socials

                            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                            • D Offline
                              DCHawker
                              last edited by

                              Really mixed feelings about this development. Council arguably raises the floor for the team, but also lowers the ceiling. Whose minutes does he take? Kinney, a 5* recruit who is a legit PG? Blyden a combo guard, who also comes from a non-Power 5 conference, who had better stats his freshmen year than Council has had. Definitely a much superior shooter. Same with White. High floor but not particularly high ceiling - his production has been consistent throughout his career. He is a solid role player. Is he really an upgrade on a second year Kohl or Parker?

                              Depth has been a chronic problem in recent years. That shouldn't be the case this year. But depth only matters if you take advantage of it.

                              I think this all can only work if HCBS completely changes colors and will play 10 guys significant minutes. Big and small line-ups. Constant pressure with fresh bodies. "Starters" - Dawes, White, Stokes, Blyden and Council? Second line (thinking hockey analog) - Mybia/Reeves, Kohl, Barnett/Adkins, Parker, Kinney? I would really like at least Kohl and Kinney to get meaningful playing time to be able to develop.

                              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                              • rockchalkjayhawkR Offline
                                rockchalkjayhawk
                                last edited by

                                Yea, this seems to be the year to expand your rotation for sure.

                                I count 11 guys who should play decent minutes.

                                That leaves out Trent Perry, Luke Barnett, Atticus Richmond, Will Thengvall and Grant Mordini.

                                The others seemingly deserve PT.

                                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                • Jayhawk_69J Offline
                                  Jayhawk_69
                                  last edited by

                                  I could get behind the feeling that Melvin does not raise our ceiling, but to say he lowers it is categorically false. Many many great teams, including some that have won national championships, have started guards who are not good 3-pt shooters.

                                  D Kcmatt7K 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                  • D Offline
                                    DCHawker @Jayhawk_69
                                    last edited by

                                    @Jayhawk_69 said in KU ROSTER 2026-27:

                                    I could get behind the feeling that Melvin does not raise our ceiling, but to say he lowers it is categorically false. Many many great teams, including some that have won national championships, have started guards who are not good 3-pt shooters.

                                    I don't think that Council's ceiling is particularly high. IMO, both Blyden and Kinney have higher ceilings, which was my point.

                                    Jayhawk_69J C 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                    • Jayhawk_69J Offline
                                      Jayhawk_69 @DCHawker
                                      last edited by

                                      @DCHawker That is probably true, but it doesn't mean that Council limits the team'a ceiling

                                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                      • C Offline
                                        crimsonblu22 @DCHawker
                                        last edited by

                                        @DCHawker did u see Tre play summer ball?

                                        D 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                        • D Offline
                                          DCHawker @crimsonblu22
                                          last edited by

                                          @crimsonblu22 Just a few highlights. I really hope he can step it up. But for 4 years in college with 4 different schools and conferences, he's been basically the same player. His numbers last year were nearly the same as his sophomore year (better 3pt%).

                                          I like him and I like Council. But the fact is that with both of them and the #2 in the draft, we just weren't very good.

                                          So, we replay White and Council. Swap Stokes for Peterson. Is Dawes/Mbiya/Reeves better than Flory? Blyden is probably a step up. But is that enough to turn a 20 win team into a 30 win one? Maybe with a much, much better and deeper bench - but again, only if we take advantage of that depth...

                                          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                          • Kcmatt7K Offline
                                            Kcmatt7 @Jayhawk_69
                                            last edited by

                                            @Jayhawk_69 said in KU ROSTER 2026-27:

                                            I could get behind the feeling that Melvin does not raise our ceiling, but to say he lowers it is categorically false. Many many great teams, including some that have won national championships, have started guards who are not good 3-pt shooters.

                                            He is inefficient on offense as a whole. I could live with the 3pt shooting, it’s the 4/17 games with 12 missed floaters.

                                            IMO he has to take a major step forward in shot selection (or shot making).

                                            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                            • First post
                                              Last post