Chalmers & Sherron

• I read a story that Mario and Sherron have sued NCAA for making money and profiting by using their names, images etc. during NCAA tournaments. There are 15 or so other former players who have joined them in the lawsuit. They are asking for their share.

Let’s see how this one shakes out.

• Seems like a stretch to me. Asking for money for future uses of their names/images I could see that. If people start seeking money that they would have made when that law/program/entitlement didn’t exist it’s a huge can of worms.

• @wissox said in Chalmers & Sherron:

Seems like a stretch to me. Asking for money for future uses of their names/images I could see that. If people start seeking money that they would have made when that law/program/entitlement didn’t exist it’s a huge can of worms.

It sounds like the same premise as the Ed O’Bannon suit that led to NIL being legalized in the first place.

• Couldn’t help but think of how many times CBS showed the Grant Hill to Christian Laettner play. Curious that they are not among the group bringing forward the grievance. Is it too long ago? Or did they reach a quiet agreement with CBS years before?

• @bskeet Grant Hill works for CBS as an analyst so probably wouldn’t be the smartest decision for him.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

That’s true.

But clip most frequently shown is of Laettner. He’s quiet. Also the NCState squad could make a case (or at least Lorenzo Charles’ estate).

• Film clips of events alone during new- and sports-casts of events probably aren’t compensable. Fair use. But using those clips to promote other events and future telecasts of those events might be.

Makes me wonder if the PGA’s contracts with networks results in lots of residuals to Tiger for their Masters commercials replaying that chip shot on 16 at Augusta… On the other hand, Nike stopped making golf balls despite all the free publicity they got from all those CBS commercials.

• They were both in the little preview before games on CBS for years after the shot happened. It’s gotta be tough on those guys that didn’t get the NIL cash in there hay day. Mario should have good money from his pro career not sure Sherron has a ton of money.

• Dang. I liked seeing that clip. Guess it’s gone.