What makes Jamari a good basketball player?

• Obviously, making shots matters. He did that this last game.

Defensively, he seems always in good position, while having the lateral quickness to get out and challenge (and not just wave) at perimeter shooters.

He seems to be a decent rebounder for his position with a small sample set? In large part because of solid positioning. I think he will be able to box out well and has good anticipation.

I don’t see him as a great passer or handler, but competent in both areas.

He seems to do all things well, maybe not elite at anything, but competent and confident, and possible elite in sum?

I’m just throwing words out to get the ball rolling. Anyone have some deeper insights?

• Also, does that possibly maybe mean we are likely to have Jamari for 3 or 4 seasons? At this point Furphy looks likely for 2 or 3, Elmarko likely for 2. But Jamari might be the dude i invest in, mentally.

• @approxinfinity

Lol, you said it all better than I would have. My insight is when I see him check in from the bench I’m like F*** yeah!

• I like Jamari. He is aggressive. Lost on defense at times, doesn’t understand help side defense yet. Will get better with experience. I like the early returns.

• @dylans

Agressive is spot on. He get’s in front of them in the post and has his hands up.

• The Furph is willing to stick his face in there too and has an instinct for rebounds. He could end up being a major problem for our conference foes. I hope. I think Elmarko sees the game in a different way than others. He is making passes from around the hoop that are wowser. And also wtf.

• @approxinfinity said in What makes Jamari a good basketball player?:

Obviously, making shots matters. He did that this last game.

Defensively, he seems always in good position, while having the lateral quickness to get out and challenge (and not just wave) at perimeter shooters.

He seems to be a decent rebounder for his position with a small sample set? In large part because of solid positioning. I think he will be able to box out well and has good anticipation.

I don’t see him as a great passer or handler, but competent in both areas.

He seems to do all things well, maybe not elite at anything, but competent and confident, and possible elite in sum?

I’m just throwing words out to get the ball rolling. Anyone have some deeper insights?

He REALLY boxes out like you said, that’s for sure.

He is a wing for us in terms of ball handling. That makes him a short wing. Ideally he’d develop a bit there.

Something else he does, and I think this is the single biggest differentiator for him right now is he looks to actually do something when he gets the ball. He is facing the basket on the catch and will shoot if he is open. He will also check to see if a driving lane is there, maybe take a step in first to get a reaction from the defense before passing again. These are small things that have a big impact. It’s something Elmarko doesn’t understand yet and he is just wanting to move the ball like coach asks but you really have to do something with the ball and at least look at the rim. Bobby had this issue too. Obviously Self isn’t telling them to not present a threat or whatever but this is something that needs to be fixed. If I can see it I am sure Bill can.

• @approxinfinity said in What makes Jamari a good basketball player?:

Also, does that possibly maybe mean we are likely to have Jamari for 3 or 4 seasons? At this point Furphy looks likely for 2 or 3, Elmarko likely for 2. But Jamari might be the dude i invest in, mentally.

Ya buddy, I think we will see Jamari for 3 for sure unless he just jumps leaps and bounds. - -I think he is going to have a very solid career when it’s all said and done. Now I could be way wrong on this but seems like he keeps his composure , again might be wrong but I like him

• I think it starts with his hustle

• Never discount how far having a “motor” can take you in this game. I think that’s alot of it.

• I like Jamari’s game so far. He seems like he fits in already. Smart, athletic, has some hustle. Even if he doesn’t know what he’s supposed to do fully, he’ll at least put some kinda effort in to make something happen. That’s a great quality.

He generally knows where to be on the floor. His one glaring learning moment so far was during the Kentucky game late. He was brought in to specifically to play defense, but twice got stuck trying to double or was just in the wrong spot on the floor, had to sprint over to cover open shooters. That’s just being young.

And he seems to have all the basic skills. Jamari in year three will be a fantastic piece of the puzzle.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in What makes Jamari a good basketball player?:

He generally knows where to be on the floor. And he seems to have all the basic skills. Jamari in year three will be a fantastic piece of the puzzle.

Agree and I think this goes hand in hand with my last paragraph on him. Just stuff you see from a kid that is smart and has been playing basketball for a looong time.