Future Basketball Opponents

• KU announced a home and home with North Carolina today. First game will be Nov. 8, 2024 in AFH and KU will travel to Chapel Hill on Nov. 14, 2025.

• Absolutely love it

• Bill’s record despite the insane non-con schedule he plays every year is incredible.

• Awesome! Wish we would do one with UVA. Right next to me.

• Awesome! Did Roy not want that to happen?

• @wissox said in Future Basketball Opponents:

Awesome! Did Roy not want that to happen?

No, Roy was against a home and home because of the emotion involved for him which is a fair reason to me.

Also, unless they play in the NCAA Tournament this season, this will only be the 13th all time meeting with series currently tied 6-6 with KU havingwon the last 4 meetings. Next season will only be the 2nd time ever UNC has traveled to Lawrence and 2025 will be the first time KU has ever played in Chapel Hill.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 wow thats crazy that we have never played in Chapel Hill. I saw UNC play Tech there. I was underwhelmed by its cavernous lack of personality.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Future Basketball Opponents:

@wissox said in Future Basketball Opponents:

Awesome! Did Roy not want that to happen?

No, Roy was against a home and home because of the emotion involved for him which is a fair reason to me.

Also, unless they play in the NCAA Tournament this season, this will only be the 13th all time meeting with series currently tied 6-6 with KU havingwon the last 4 meetings. Next season will only be the 2nd time ever UNC has traveled to Lawrence and 2025 will be the first time KU has ever played in Chapel Hill.

I can’t remember exactly the year been some time ago, but i DID go to the only other time they came to the Phog - -Dean Smith and his famous 4 corners stall. That was the most boring thin to watch , especially when you were behind , and he could and would use at various time in the 2nd half - -hatd them then just boring to watch

• @approxinfinity preach! The Dean Dome is the most overrated venue in sports. Honestly Cameron isn’t great either.

But overall I’m super stoked about this. Way, way, way overdue. I hope it continues long after the home and home. There is a lot of mutual respect between UNC and KU, and it would be great for fans of both schools to be around each other more. One of my very best friends in NC is an absolute college hoops junkie and she’s never had a good purpose to see games outside the ACC footprint. This way they can see what they’re missing since the NBA Lite Dean Dome opened.

The closest we’ve ever played to Chapel Hill is Raleigh like 70 years ago, which is wild.

• Out of the 12 games, 7 have happened in the NCAA Tournament with 5 of those coming in the Final Four including 2 times in the national championship game with each team winning once and each game being considered an all time classic by most people. UNC won the first ever meeting in the 1957 championship game in 3OT’s in what would be Wilt’s final game in a KU uniform and KU completing the largest comeback in championship game history in the 2022 championship game. KU and UNC also met in the national semifinals in 1991, 1993, and 2008 with KU winning in 1991 and 2008 and UNC in 1993. The two schools have met two other times in the NCAA Tournament in back to back seasons in the Elite 8 in 2012 and round of 32 in 2013, both Kansas victories.

KU and UNC also met in November of 2002 at MSG in the Preseason NIT with UNC winning that game in what would be Roy’s final season at KU before taking over at UNC who missed the NCAA Tournament that season.

Roy has been the head coach in 7 of the 12 all time meetings and only has a 1-6 record in KU/UNC games with the 1991 Final Four being his lone victory.

KU and UNC played a home and home in 1959/1960 with the 1959 game played in Raleigh and the 1960 game in Lawrence which to date is the only meeting between the two teams on either campus. UNC was victorious in each of those meetings.

They also played a home and home in 1981 with the first game in January of 1981 in Kansas City and the return game the next season in November in Charlotte with the home team winning each game.

KU holds a 5-2 edge in meetings in the NCAA Tournament and UNC holds a 4-1 edge in regular season meetings.

• I have nothing but respect for the UNC fanbase. They were very gracious when we beat them in 22. Still want to pound them, though.