Celebrity Encounters at KU

• @kjayhawks huh I wonder which generation raised them. Personal responsibility and all that must stop at parenthood. Otherwise each generation would have to come to terms that they were bad parents by their own standard.

• @FarmerJayhawk parenting definitely is some the issue for sure. Some it is the school system and society in general. My wife was a school teacher for 10 years and wasn’t allowed to fail kids that never came to class or turned in any work. Both parents having to work in todays world is part of the issue. Accountability is lacking right now on all fronts.

• @kjayhawks been in education for 16 years and never been told I can’t fail a kid. Now there’s a legitimate question to be asked about what a teacher did to attempt to support a kid. But every teacher I’ve met who says they aren’t allowed to fail kids have not been telling the full truth. They may have been strongly encouraged to give the kid more opportunities to show growth or held accountable for parts of their job as a teacher that they may not have done for that kid. But when push comes to shove, one person is allowed to put that grade on the report card and sign off on its validity. And if an admin told me I HAD to pass a kid or else I lose my job, well then there’s a good time to ask for that in writing for evidence down the road. That’s where teachers unions are actually a good thing.

• @kjayhawks said in Celebrity Encounters at KU:

@FarmerJayhawk I just call it like I see it buddy, this generation is softest and laziest. Hard truth

I had a much longer response oroginally, but shortened it to this.

Which generation are you referring to? Gen Z or Millennials?

Also, what do you think the root causes of being soft and lazy are?

You even said it yourself already that in many families today, both parents have to work. Think about that. Why is it necessary for both parents to have to work to provide for a family when that wasn’t the case when I was kid or when you were a kid?

I teach 7th grade (12-13 year olds) who have never seen an increase in minimum wage in their lifetimes despite cost of living increasing by over 40% in their short lives so far.

We’re going on 14 years now without an increase in federal minimum wage. A full time minimum wage job is just over $15,000 per year before taxes. Minimum wage was never intended to be a poverty salary, it was intended to be the minimum living wage needed for a family to have the bare necessities to survive.

A family could could live off a minimum wage job a generation ago. Now, even with two parents making minimum wage, they’re still going to be well below the poverty line basically anywhere in America. It takes a person working 96 hours per week on minimum wage to earn the average living wage in the U.S. That’s basically 2.5 weeks of work in one week to make a living wage.

Another reality is that most people in entry level jobs can’t afford to live alone, they either have to remain at home or have roommates to afford rent. Cost of living is also why many couples are choosing to not have kids because they see the financial struggle of others with kids and realize they can’t afford kids.

• Could be argued that the softest generation is the one who seems to be incapable of letting go of both financial and political power despite clearly running politics and the planet into the ground.

• may be time to lock this thread!

• We have stayed civil right?

• It’s certainly not the feel good celebrity encounter thread it used to be…

• I don’t think this thread is too bad @benshawks08 you also have to understand just because you’ve had that experience doesn’t mean everywhere it’s the same experience, even when I was in school several good athletes never showed up but still played every Friday night. @Texas-Hawk-10 I definitely think the cost of living is part of it. Some it is the parents just giving stuff without earning it. If I wanted something as a kid I bought it. My parents gave me some food and a twin mattress on the floor. So I started delivering papers at age 9. Kids now days either don’t work or show up late and don’t actually work while there. I’ve got a brother that manages a wal mart in North Carolina, tells me the exact same thing I see here. Unwilling to work and on phone all day. Maybe y’all think the future is in good hands with our youth and worlds headed in a good direction. That 💯 fine and you are welcome to have that opinion, I just don’t see it.

• @benshawks08 more evidence if you want is to read the book the blindside that’s more factual than movie there is a lot of talk about the teachers just passing Micheal to not create problems. To teach anyone anything first they have to be willing to show up and learn. I’m guessing you don’t teach in the inner city where I spent some of my youth and my wife taught.

• Common sentiment. Every generation has gotten worse over time yet the world is an objectively much, much better place than it was a half century ago. https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1669113362058444800?s=20

One of my favorite sites https://www.humanprogress.org/datasets/

• @FarmerJayhawk I think the 90s were peak humanity lol

• @kjayhawks I only ever commented on my experience which does happen to be in inner city Austin. But I also know that the way school works is teachers give grades and that is one power that hasn’t been taken from them. The best ones assess the knowledge and skills of their students to the best of their abilities. Some give grades so they don’t have to deal with helicopter parents. Some do it because a kids only joy on life is playing a sport and think that one grade that one grading period isn’t worth the risk of that kid dropping out or worse. Some do it because they are afraid of their principals. Others because they know deep down they didn’t give that kid their best effort. And you are right, I can only speak to the experience I’ve had working with thousands of teachers as a teacher and a district employee who supports teachers. I’m sure someone somewhere has told a teacher they have to pass a kid but I also know that teacher almost definitely had training that taught them that was wrong and there were other options.

• @benshawks08 well I’m glad it works for you. My only question is would you pass a lid that never came to your class, was a star football play that your superintendent said he would fire you if not?

• The kid wouldn’t be playing at our school. Every wed. the kids and their parents plus coaches get their grades. Thurs-tues those kids that are failing and/or missing work or need to makeup tests go every am from 8-8:30 to those classes they are assigned to. If they miss they have lunch detention and those add up to Iss. If you care about your sport or activity you don’t want your coach on your rear. Starts new every wed. Kids w/good grades don’t start til 8:30 'cept on wed. As far as kids go, I’d say I’m impressed w/about 80% of our HS kids! We have a great school district and great community and parent support. 10% are not fun! They have crappy parents! Kids do no wrong. The mouths are filthy, no respect. The rest I feel so sorry for, live with gma, work a job til late, just don’t have a chance.

@benshawks08 well I’m glad it works for you. My only question is would you pass a lid that never came to your class, was a star football play that your superintendent said he would fire you if not?

I would fail that kid and then I would leave that school and district because that kid is being set up for failure in life by not being held accountable. I would also tipoff someone at the state education agency level to investigate that superintendent because if he’s threatening someone’s job over an athlete’s grade, there’s probably a lot of other shady, unethical, and probably illegal stuff going on in that district.

I’ve never had an administrator have an issue with me failing an athlete. My athlete’s that I coach also know that if they ever get caught skipping class, that they’re missing game time.

I also have zero issues with failing an athlete and have failed my best basketball player, and eventually kicked him off the team because he refused to complete his daily work in my class.

• @FarmerJayhawk Wow, that website, something else to waste precious summer hours on perusing!

I don’t think this thread is too bad @benshawks08 you also have to understand just because you’ve had that experience doesn’t mean everywhere it’s the same experience, even when I was in school several good athletes never showed up but still played every Friday night. @Texas-Hawk-10 I definitely think the cost of living is part of it. Some it is the parents just giving stuff without earning it. If I wanted something as a kid I bought it. My parents gave me some food and a twin mattress on the floor. So I started delivering papers at age 9. Kids now days either don’t work or show up late and don’t actually work while there. I’ve got a brother that manages a wal mart in North Carolina, tells me the exact same thing I see here. Unwilling to work and on phone all day. Maybe y’all think the future is in good hands with our youth and worlds headed in a good direction. That 💯 fine and you are welcome to have that opinion, I just don’t see it.

In regards to parents giving their kids things without working for something, that’s not new to Gen Z kids. You said that when you wanted extra spending money, you got a paper route. That’s great, but is again showing a lack of understanding issues current kids deal with. Jobs like that simply don’t exist anymore. A lot of these traditional first jobs for kids are going away due to digitizing, outsourcing, and automation so many kids don’t have those opportunities anymore because the amount of those jobs just simply don’t exist anymore.

My first job was at a grocery story as a cashier, bagger, and cart person when I was 14. I still go to that grocery store pretty regularly and now there’s usually only 1 cashier working with no baggers due to the amount of self checkout registers they have now. There’s also usually only 1 person getting carts, maybe 2 people during peak hiurs for the check out and carts. When I worked there, there was usually about 8-10 people working during peak hours.

This is just another example of systemic issues facing young Millennials and Gen Z kids that older Millennials, Gen X, amd older generations didn’t have to deal with.

• One of my students made me a celebrity…kind of. In Baton Rouge there’s a business called the Hip Hop Ice Cream Shop. One of my students started it and polled people on facebook about snowball (snowcones) flavors. I said “Duh, coffee”, because I had a rep (still do!) of drinking a lot of coffee, so she said she’d name a snowcone after me. I’m on the menu. If you look it up, my flavor is just above “Thug Passion”. I can’t wait to get back there some day and buy one!

• @wissox I hope the names aren’t grouped by theme. I have always suspected you are a celeb, though.

• I’ve twice had boys ask for makeup work the last week of the semester because they were failing and needed this grade for their scholarships. One had signed with LSU football, the other Memphis. I looked at them with a look like please don’t pick me up and throw me across the room, and said no. I don’t know what ever happened to the kid going to LSU, but the Memphis kid had to go to JUCO, made it to Memphis and graduate and years later sent me a note thanking me for loving him enough to be tough with him. He’s now a successful educator.

• @wissox Great job, you made a difference! I imagine you did that many times and you’ll never even know. 🥳

• @wissox sweet. Found it with teh googlez.

• @wissox that’s pretty cool bud

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Parents can teach their kids to have a strong work ethic, or to be lazy and self absorbed. Everything that’s been talked about here (except celebrities) is on the parents. It doesn’t matter if it was in the 1950’s, 1990’s or now. You can choose to raise them however you want.

I’m not disagreeing with you - just rambling. My parents taught me that.