4th of July

• Amazing how this day has changed in my mind. I used to debate whether July 4th or Christmas was my favorite holiday. The parades, fireworks, picnics, frequently we were at a lake house my parents have owned in Wisconsin, well it was just a great day. Church was always fun for the Sunday prior as it was a lot of God bless America type themes and I just basically had a week of fun and frivolity.

We have an amazing country. I still believe that but issues of justice have deeply troubled me in the past decade. My work in the inner city has also shaped me, but just learning more about the flawed framers of this democracy have me more and more wanting to just ignore this day.

When Barack Obama won I heard of an old friend weeping with joy. He had been nearly beaten to death in a Mississippi jail for being on a mission to register blacks to vote and continues today in his 90’s to beat the drum for reconciliation.

But the next president taking advantage of still prevailing racial attitudes that were not agreeable with many of us seemed to inspire a revival of blatant displays of bigotry that had become largely hidden. Confederate flags in rural Wisconsin became common. An in your face my way or the highway approach to politics was taking over and we’re here in 2023 as divided as we have been for a long time.

I put no flag up on my house this year. Just not feeling it. I’m a conservative but haven’t voted for a republican since 2012 except for a few local races, wasting presidential votes on 3rd party candidates. I’m a voiceless conservative, finding some solace in people like Adam Kinziger, David French and others. I can’t support the far right that are somehow giving Trump the lead for the Repub nomination, but finding little in common with people on the left either.

I hope I’m not irking many here, glad we have this forum to discuss other things as well. Enjoy your holiday!

• @wissox said in 4th of July:

Amazing how this day has changed in my mind. I used to debate whether July 4th or Christmas was my favorite holiday. The parades, fireworks, picnics, frequently we were at a lake house my parents have owned in Wisconsin, well it was just a great day. Church was always fun for the Sunday prior as it was a lot of God bless America type themes and I just basically had a week of fun and frivolity.

We have an amazing country. I still believe that but issues of justice have deeply troubled me in the past decade. My work in the inner city has also shaped me, but just learning more about the flawed framers of this democracy have me more and more wanting to just ignore this day.

When Barack Obama won I heard of an old friend weeping with joy. He had been nearly beaten to death in a Mississippi jail for being on a mission to register blacks to vote and continues today in his 90’s to beat the drum for reconciliation.

But the next president taking advantage of still prevailing racial attitudes that were not agreeable with many of us seemed to inspire a revival of blatant displays of bigotry that had become largely hidden. Confederate flags in rural Wisconsin became common. An in your face my way or the highway approach to politics was taking over and we’re here in 2023 as divided as we have been for a long time.

I put no flag up on my house this year. Just not feeling it. I’m a conservative but haven’t voted for a republican since 2012 except for a few local races, wasting presidential votes on 3rd party candidates. I’m a voiceless conservative, finding some solace in people like Adam Kinziger, David French and others. I can’t support the far right that are somehow giving Trump the lead for the Repub nomination, but finding little in common with people on the left either.

I hope I’m not irking many here, glad we have this forum to discuss other things as well. Enjoy your holiday!

It’s scary that Trump might genuinely be the lesser of two evils in the Republican primary race against DeSantis over the next year and unless Nikki Haley can pull some support, it’ll be a Trump/DeSantis battle. It’s scary how far right the right is moving and that they are moving closer and closer to full on fascism.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I’m not sure if I’d have favored Chris Christie but he’s been making some noise, has some pull with centrists I’d guess. Tim Scott is an interesting name too.

• @wissox There’s some sick irony to the fact that, in recent years, the Fourth of July is the day of the year that sees the most mass shootings. This country is not in good shape.

• You can’t support July 4th

If you took the 5th

About January 6th

• Tim Scott is my favorite right now. I met him when he was a House freshman, what you see is what you get.

I’ve also become more politically homeless over the last few years. It’s tough out there being a Reason Magazine type libertarian

• I love this country!!! Not because it’s perfect, but because we have the power to influence it and fix the imperfections. If you’re just complaining while not actually trying to impact the situation in a hands on way, you’re part of the problem you’ve identified. But that’s well within your constitutionally protected rights in this country! So have at it.

• @dylans If you are directing that to @wissox, you are way off base. He has dedicated his career to teaching, and in some of the most challenging places. Teachers are the front line of hands-on.

• @dylans said in 4th of July:

I love this country!!! Not because it’s perfect, but because we have the power to influence it and fix the imperfections. If you’re just complaining while not actually trying to impact the situation in a hands on way, you’re part of the problem you’ve identified. But that’s well within your constitutionally protected rights in this country! So have at it.

I’ll cut you some slack because I know you don’t know me and just assume us woke folks are doing nothing. Not going to list my feeble attempts at trying to make things better, but I could.

• @wissox PHOF!