Let’s talk duke

• @benshawks08 he’s legitimately ill and didn’t make the trip.

• @FarmerJayhawk Lotta flu, covid, respiratory stuff going around with the cold weather.

• Yup. Depth and foul problems are all the sudden a pretty big concern. Down to 9 scholarship players.

• What a tough break for MJ. Dude gets some time and scores it pretty well, then can’t even make the trip to the biggest event of the early basketball season.

• @FarmerJayhawk Not sure how big of a concern they really are. Zach and MJ were definitely at or near the bottom of the early rotations.

• Seems like we have enough flexible pieces to really weather some injuries here and there. Jalen and Grady are maybe the only two we really HAVE to have in my opinion just because no one else really offers the scoring/shooting punch they can. We are certainly better at full strength but not losing anyone to transfers and picking up some good recruits/transfers has us in a pretty decent spot depth wise.

• @benshawks08 said in Let’s talk duke:

Seems like we have enough flexible pieces to really weather some injuries here and there. Jalen and Grady are maybe the only two we really HAVE to have in my opinion just because no one else really offers the scoring/shooting punch they can. We are certainly better at full strength but not losing anyone to transfers and picking up some good recruits/transfers has us in a pretty decent spot depth wise.

Oops. I’d like to amend the above statement. I totally forgot we have Jank to come in and score the ball especially from three. Statistically our best player through two games so can’t count him out. He’s not injured, right?

• Ouch Rice would have been impactful tonight.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Let’s talk duke:

Ouch Rice would have been impactful tonight.

Both teams missing dudes damn.

• So Pettiford will see time tonight?

• @Gorilla72 said in Let’s talk duke:

So Pettiford will see time tonight?

Why wouldn’t he? He’s the clear back-up pg.

• @Gorilla72 A LOT I’d imagine. We have two backup smalls and two backup bigs.

• I wish I could have a positive feel about tonight like some others. I’m just afraid with their length & Size they are going to make shots tough getting off , for sure no easy buckets inside. Roach is an experienced enough he gonna be a pest on the outside.

They have been starting like 6"10 - - -7 foot - -and 6’10 I think , just afraid we going to get in some serious foul trouble - -question is how we matching up on the defensive end ? - -Some real mis matches. - as far as our offensive end a lot different playing this size then our first two contests – they gonna get multiple shots on the offensive end , and really if were not careful it could get kind of ugly in a hurry if our outside shots aren’t falling.

Maybe our experience shows. - - Harris – Wilson - - McCullars against their youth?- -we can only hope. -we already know our inside game is still very raw, defensively they can back off juan then it becomes 4-5- - -and if we get zero which is a possibility our inside just not proven raw - -then it becomes a 3-5 contest there is where ugly steps in. - -hope they prove me wrong, time to see what we are made of. - - with the people we short on top of everything else ? ? ? ?

• Damn- wish MJ and Zach were playing tonight. I wish Bill was coaching this game.

• In this first game, I have become a temp Spartans fan- go Sparty!

• ugh…Sparty sux…lol.

• @Jethro said in Let’s talk duke:

Damn- wish MJ and Zach were playing tonight. I wish Bill was coaching this game.

Ya your right there buddy , I think the Coaching is going or might hurt us here in this tight one

• Well I guess one way to look at things. I would say schedule so far pretty equal in strengths of opponents- -so if you get into stats things pretty even if not tilted to Ku a lil as far as that goes.

Duke Averaging 48 Rebs per game - - -KU is averaging 44.5 Rebs per game - - -KU averaging 23 assists per game --Duke averaging 17.5 assists per game- - -Duke averaging 10 Steals per game - - KU averaging 8 Steals per game . - - Duke average 12 turnovers per game - - -KU averaging 9 turnovers per game - - - KU shooting 50.4 % from the field - -Duke shooting 44.9 % from the field - - Duke shooting 64.9 three throws - -KU 52 % three throw - - -KU shooting 38 % from the 3 - - Duke shooting 34 % from the 3

So there you have it - -stats don’t lie lol I think a couple of things in KU favor - - shooting from the field - -KU asst quite a bot more - - And better from the 3 - - -we shall see how it plays out

• @jayballer67 said in Let’s talk duke:

I wish I could have a positive feel about tonight like some others. I’m just afraid with their length & Size they are going to make shots tough getting off , for sure no easy buckets inside. Roach is an experienced enough he gonna be a pest on the outside.

They have been starting like 6"10 - - -7 foot - -and 6’10 I think , just afraid we going to get in some serious foul trouble - -question is how we matching up on the defensive end ? - -Some real mis matches. - as far as our offensive end a lot different playing this size then our first two contests – they gonna get multiple shots on the offensive end , and really if were not careful it could get kind of ugly in a hurry if our outside shots aren’t falling.

Maybe our experience shows. - - Harris – Wilson - - McCullars against their youth?- -we can only hope. -we already know our inside game is still very raw, defensively they can back off juan then it becomes 4-5- - -and if we get zero which is a possibility our inside just not proven raw - -then it becomes a 3-5 contest there is where ugly steps in. - -hope they prove me wrong, time to see what we are made of. - - with the people we short on top of everything else ? ? ? ?

alt text

• @BShark

haha classic and hilarious

• You know what guys pile it on I’ll admit I was a lil skeptical , mainly because odf their length, I’ll tell you this too I would bet you anything there are OTHERS here but they for sure would never admit that they had the same concerns about the game and Duke’s length last night. Plus it actually played out just like I said in the 2nd half as Duke killed us on the boards easy shots.

Now having said that I’ve never been happier , I tell you what after the guys showing last night I’ve got total different expectations for the Season now. I had said probably just like you BShark that I thought that this team was a 2nd weekend team at best. NOW and yes it is a one game showing , midget sample size BUT after last night , they just showed me that they are capable of anything. I mean anything including winning it all.

The big thing I saw last night was toughness and I’ll borrow a phrase from a old friend Gene Smithson that WSU had on their shorts and it applies to THIS team as they displayed last night and that motto was and is ( MTXE ) which for those who don’t remember is ( MENTAL TOUGHNESS , EXTRA EFFORT ) - I think this team showed/ displayed that 100 % last night. I’m telling you this team is showing me something this year already -this team is different.

We play defense like a bunch of junk yard dogs - - NASTY , & it’s only gonna get better I think as the year goes on. If we can get anything from our 5 spot , don’t need alot but id we can get anything last night was ok what 8 points but add in blocks & rebounds to go with that 8 - -when you have Jalen - -Kevin - - Dick - - & give me some MJ if he can get healthy and stay out of dog house and a little Bobby then LOOK OUT.

I’ll say again this defense is only gonna get better , just smothering at times - -teams really gonna have to work for any kind of decent shot. on top of that - -did not surprise me with our 20 assists- - -we are averaging 23 for the year this team plays as a TEAM - - Bobby $ Juan running our point - -were in good hands and Juan will eat you up defensively.

This could turn out to be a special Season - -will say again one of my best moments from last night came with Duke break away - -j Juan swats the bal - -Duke rebounds and Udeh swats loved it. - -Brady made sports Centers top 10 at # 10 with his scoop layup and then KU made # 4 with the back to back swats - -that’s our boys

• @jayballer67 Yeah all in good fun. This team is intense. They will definitely lose some games when enough shots god down, but they are tough.

• @jayballer67

No doubt their size was a big concern before the game, I was nervous. At times Duke really played to that size advantage down low. Lucky for us, it only came in spurts since they are so young. I also think KU showed they have the ability to play big and impact shots at the rim. Double digit blocks is a very impressive stat as a team. We had quick hands and timing

• @BeddieKU23 said in Let’s talk duke:

@jayballer67

No doubt their size was a big concern before the game, I was nervous. At times Duke really played to that size advantage down low. Lucky for us, it only came in spurts since they are so young. I also think KU showed they have the ability to play big and impact shots at the rim. Double digit blocks is a very impressive stat as a team. We had quick hands and timing

oh I agree , you know we worried and smal sample size od three games but we were worried about rim protection this year and I was also one that was but so far we doing rim protection by committee - Udeh has 6 McCullar has 5 , Harris has 4 whaaaa lol Ejiofor has 4 - -were averaging so far anyways 8 blocks per - -I’ll take that all yr long. We are extremely quick

not sure how it might of played out if Whitehead would of been available & Lively 100 % but I do know this we pretty well took Mark Mitchell out of the game and he had been pretty big for them , just really impresses with the deense - - the quickness and the toughness of this team buddy

• Quick note - -tidbit guys - -think about this right now ate three games - -Juan - -with 23 assists - -& 2 turnovers. - - Juan and Bobby - -35 assists - -and 5 turnovers - gotta love those numbers