Generic soccer thread

• OMG, the color announcer for the Dortmund-PSG game is freaking awesome!

So funny. I can’t even keep track of his one liners!

After an amazing goal: 1.21 gigawatts!

About the awesomeness of the game: This game is hotter than the hinges on hell’s gate!

• @rockchalkjayhawk I watched the shortened version on youtube. That was great!

• @wissox said in Generic soccer thread:

@rockchalkjayhawk I watched the shortened version on youtube. That was great!

Cracked me up. and great game!

• I was very impressed with the new USWNT coach. She did a pregame chat the other day. Great intelligence, composure, demeanor and personality. She only has a few games or so to get her system in place before the Olympics. I’m hoping her first game was telling of future success.

• If you’d like to be less disgusted and way less angry, do not under any circumstance watch the US vs Colombia soccer game.

Demoralizing. Colombia looked dangerous, and the US looked incompetent.

I’m all for firing GGG after this result (5-1).

• @rockchalkjayhawk i didnt watch yet, and it’s not a matter of if but when for me, regarding firing GGG. Shouldn’t have ever been brought back.

• Watched up til 4-1 , had to pause. Our backline is awful and always has been under GGG. Theres no other way to put it. When your backline is puting balls to no one back into play in the danger zone om the first 2 Columbia goals, and your coach is explaining it away as just a couple mistakes, he is missing the point. These are extremely bad decisions, worse than fumbles at the 1 yard line. Entirely self inflicted.

• Man, not even sure I want to revisit yesterday by writing something!

But agreed, so many self inflicted wounds. Like they’d never played the game before. Dribble into the corner alone, get trapped, turn it over, rinse, repeat. The back line was comically bad. I was just praising Jedi and seconds later he did that slide turnover goal thing.

Colombia had a great game plan, and GGG could not adjust. Playing a high back line with the slow footed Ream left everybody on an island trying to recover. We were just overwhelmed.

Did Weston actually play? Didn’t even see him touch the ball, or defend. I dunno how we could continually make so many bad passes straight to our opponent.

Grrrrr! Fire GGG! (and I continue to be anti Reyna)

• @rockchalkjayhawk did they take it down?

• @approxinfinity said in Generic soccer thread:

@rockchalkjayhawk did they take it down?

I’m still seeing an article when I click it.

• Huh! Weird, i turned off my vpn which places me in Canada and the article shows up. Thx

• Yea, Goal website is very aggressive if you have any ad blockers, etc. i also think it sorts content by country you’re in as well.

• Either way it says the result was not GGG’s fault! Ha.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in Generic soccer thread:

Either way it says the result was not GGG’s fault! Ha.

alt text

• Split feelings about this US brazil matchup .

• Because i want berhalter fired early in the cycle

• Backline embarassed on first goal.

• Alright! 1-1 at the half, backline woke up. Nice job by Turner shutting down Rodrygo in a 1:1

• Assistant VAR ref from Mexico tried to get a legal tackle by US promoted from a yellow to red and they took away the yellow after reviewing lolol

• Ha, that reversal was comical @approxinfinity !

I still don’t understand how they continue to let players swarm the ref. Thought they made a rule.

Otherwise what a game! But I’m with you about GGG. The game plan, for once, was pretty good. Quite the opposite of last game. I guess that puts him back in good standing. The Copa result may be make or break.

We actually should have won. More than a couple close ones missed.

The good: just about everything! An oddly patient approach out of the back made me nervous as hell, but mostly worked. Wow, that blistering shot from Musah early on!!! Wow. Nearly broke the crossbar. Puli’s free kick goal must have been drawn up. Worked brilliantly. Gio actually worked hard today. He was consistently helping Scally handle Vini. Seemed to be there when needed. (I can’t believe I just wrote that). The blob 10-man defense was very effective in cutting down space to create.

The so-so: I crap my pants every time Matt Turner decides to handle the ball and distribute with his feet. He makes at least one bad decision per game doing that. Looks clumsy. I was hoping to see a backup get a chance today. But OK. He played well. It’s really too bad that Aaronsen has zero offensive skill. He had a wide open field and dribbled right into a Brazilian defender. Shook my head.

Nice game! See what a little effort can do?

• https://x.com/RedditCFB/status/1801068482131603847

“USMNT follows up a 5-1 loss to Colombia with an impressive draw against Brazil. Gregg Berhalter is a Kirk Ferentz-level savant at doing just enough to save his job, but not enough to get poached.”

• @BShark said in Generic soccer thread:

https://x.com/RedditCFB/status/1801068482131603847

“USMNT follows up a 5-1 loss to Colombia with an impressive draw against Brazil. Gregg Berhalter is a Kirk Ferentz-level savant at doing just enough to save his job, but not enough to get poached.”

Nicely put!

• I always love looking at the different player ratings after the games. This one has me absolutely baffled. ESPN. Did they watch the same game? I even reluctantly admit Scally was better than a 3!

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40337897/pulisic-rates-6-10-brazil-draw-gets-usmnt-back-track

• Espn is hopeless.

• 11 - Matt Turner’s 11 saves vs. Brazil are the most by a #USMNT goalkeeper since Tim Howard made 15 saves vs. Belgium in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Stopper.

• Did you say he goes to 11? 🎸

• Euro 24 started yesterday. Nice opening win for the boys but it’s Scotland so you can’t take too much from it.

• I’m catching up on some Euro games this morning! 2-0 Deutschland already.

• I didn’t realize until tonight that Copa America started! Argentina vs Canada was entertaining. Oddly competitive.

But it was Rough, very rough. The ref tonight was not calling clear fouls and cards. Weird. I was surprised guys escaped without broken bones. Messi, who I thought retired from playing for his country, missed a few.

Can’t wait for USA on Sunday!

• @rockchalkjayhawk Ecuador lost a guy early to a red card, but scored and held the lead til 2 late goals allowed Venezuela to win. This Mexico-Jamaica match is a thriller too.

• @wissox said in Generic soccer thread:

@rockchalkjayhawk Ecuador lost a guy early to a red card, but scored and held the lead til 2 late goals allowed Venezuela to win. This Mexico-Jamaica match is a thriller too.

The Equador-Venezuela game is a prime example of what i absolutely HATE about soccer, even though i love soccer. That game was dive after dive after dive then roll on the ground like your head was cut off. Some were legit very hard fouls though. Then surround the ref. They need to do better to remove that from the game. The yellow cards were in the ref’s pocket mostly. For those of you who haven’t watched (ha), don’t!

The Mexico game was a good one. enjoyed that. I even kinda like their peacock unis.

• Watching Germany Switzerland

• Team USA performance was…okay I guess? Really should have won by more. Was very unimpressed with Richards. Pulisic was awesome.

• USA USA! Whew. always nice to get the first one out of the way. If only the squad would play with that kind of energy all the time (see Colombia). Keep it up, lads!

I was pretty happy with the effort today. Pulisic was inspired. Adams is back! IMO the team is way different without him in there. Very happy he’s on the field. hope he can stay healthy. And another game without much complaint about Gio.

Yea, @BShark there for sure was stuff to complain about today though. Hard to do so after a win, but i guess it’s normal to critique play. that’s why they have player ratings! Hmm, i may have to start my own player rating review after the games just for fun.

We should have scored at least 5 today. There was some very sloppy play and finishing all over the place, that’s for sure.

Goalie Turner: 7 – Made some saves, but nothing brilliant was needed today. No major flaws with his feet and distribution today either.

Defense: 6. As a whole, they played well, but weren’t tested.

Scally: 7 – effort was there. nothing stands out otherwise.

Richards: 5 – Yikes on the passing and decision making. Starting to wonder about him in a starting role.

Ream: 6 – Also some scary passing at first. More than a few give aways today. Connected on some long balls.

Jedi: 10!!! – OK, maybe not 10, but he was all over the place for 90 minutes. Love that guy.

Reyna: 6 – Played well, but got lazy a few times with passing and defense. He seems a bit slow and a step behind on making decisions what to do with the ball. Overconfident?

Adams: 7 – A welcome sight in the middle. A little rusty.

McKennie: 4 – I used to love Weston. Now I don’t think he fits into a 4-3-3 formation at all. What position should he play? In front of the defense IMO. He barely puts effort in. I have not seen him play well for the national team in awhile. His role needs refining and rethinking. But i always loved his toughness and tenacity previously.

Pulisic: 10!!! – Ha, i know. but that was the most motivated and active i’ve seen him in like forever. Great goal.

Balogun: 7 – His goal was very. nice. Otherwise doesn’t seem to be playing to his potential.

Weah: 8 – I really like his effort as well. Didn’t score, but was up and down the field.

SUBS

Pepi: “A” for effort, but F for finishing. cmon, man!

Musah: 9 – I really think he should be starting most games. Effort, ability, intensity, powerful, skilled. Doesn’t mind knocking over other players.

GGG: As @approxinfinity would say, why is he still coaching! His main flaw today was roster construction. Adams and McKennie don’t match up well in a 4-3-3. Both are mainly defensive minded, and defensively skilled. Not much offensive talent, playmaking ability between em. That limits our ability to push forward and make plays to get the front line involved.

• @rockchalkjayhawk agreed on Richards… He’s had some headscratching moments so far this cycle. I like Balogun a lot more than Pepi, and I think he does a lot of nice things off ball. Pepi just isn’t the answer. I’m glad Balogun is the starter, and hope that continues.

Musah I’ve had issues with in the past. I feel like he is at times slow to react, leading to embarassing defensive breakdowns. I like things he brings offensively.

I do think Adams’ injury has a silver lining in that the whole MMA foregone conclusion was absurd, and working Reyna in there is a good thing, and we have enough injuries, and some players are inconsistent in the midfield, where employomg a rotation of 4 or 5 midfielders makes sense.

I don’t rate Jedi as highly as you, because he often has an awful first touch. He works hard.

Pulisic is still The King. Well done!

• @approxinfinity i agree that a MAR midfield makes more sense than having MMA. At least Reyna thinks “offensively”.

Both Musah and McKennie can bring some toughness to the midfield. Adams is tough, but lacks size. I’m fine probably with either slotting in. But I’m losing some faith in the lackadaisical McKennie. He better start stepping up.

Jedi was a @$#*%!! machine today! ⚽️ Nary a bad touch 🙂