Okie Lite Game Thread

• Really too bad to come all the way back and be up 3, then give up the last 8 of the game…

• @DCHawker

Bad tease

• Yeah…game was super winnable. Then a brick layer drains a three. And then…Marcus…

• Winnable game even down to the last minute, then a total meltdown.

• Also said brick layer traveled there, but w/e. Murder them in Lawrence.

• Kentucky down 12 in Rupp at half. Are we still happy about those things?

• @BeddieKU23 yes always

• I know we can’t play Dave some times but man the kid has come around where would we have been without his 24

• I don’t think Marcus plays hero ball at all!

• @BeddieKU23 said in Okie Lite Game Thread:

Kentucky down 12 in Rupp at half. Are we still happy about those things?

I know I am

• @BShark

I think I’m old enough to remember the last time we played well at home

• Duke lost - -Kentucky down big at home - -& North Carolina not ranked in top 25

• alt text

I can’t even

• Wilson & Braun - -5-14 - - - 1-8 - -and 11 points

• @BShark

Addition by subtraction next yr?

• @BShark said in Okie Lite Game Thread:

alt text

I can’t even

Yup!!! I was screaming at my TV!!! Marcus is not Devonte or Frank. Stop with the hero crap!

• I felt he was fouled but like, don’t leave it up to college refs lol.

@BeddieKU23 If we can find another guard, probably. It doesn’t help that Marcus is playing out of position.

• @BShark said in Okie Lite Game Thread:

alt text

I can’t even

You know bill told him to drive it. And I’m sure he’d been harping on them all game to drive to SCORE because all our drives had been so pathetic all game. Gotta be good enough to find that pass though.

Real talk we were only in that game because of the triangle and 2. Does anyone else in college hoops play that? I’ve never really seen it anywhere else but it’s possible I just watch more KU basketball than other teams.

• I didn’t hate Marcus driving it. After all, he put us up by getting to the rim. Have to pass out of that though.

• @benshawks08

I don’t recall seeing it, watch a lot of games during the year.

@benshawks08

I don’t recall seeing it, watch a lot of games during the year.

I mean, it won us a national championship. Not sure why there aren’t more copy cats.

• @benshawks08

Definitely something self pulls out the bag of tricks every so often

• Marcus had some great drives. Just wish he had the sense the last one wasn’t to his advantage.

• @BShark oh man.

• Tyon hurt his shoulder. Not sure that explains his play

• huge problem this year also - - this team has no idenity ? - - Who are we ? - -we gave up 37 fast break points last night - - -THIRTY SEVEN - -that is just NOT acceptable - - THIRTY SEVEN ! ! ! almost half of their points, I mean come on. When is the last time a Bill Self team has given up that kind of fast break points.

How does a breakdown of that magnitude happen? - - lazy ? - -no communication ? - -No basic basketball IQ ? that for a KU team is just flat out embarrassing, there should be no excuse WHY a team gives up 37 fast break points EVER , and Bill best be relaying that to these guys to make it perfectly clear that it better NEVER happen again. that’s sickening.

Exactly who is this team go to bucket getter this year? Jalen ? - - No. - - Christan ? - - No. - -Oachi ? – No - -they are all good shooters BUT not neccessarily bucket getters. - -Like I heard just a few ago , Dotson was a bucket getter , Devonte was a bucket getter , maybe not the fastest dude but the guy could find ways to get THAT BUCKET in Crunch time. - - Frank could find ways to get that HUGE bucket in crunch time - -WE do NOT have that this year.

Like they said THIS YEAR we might as well face it Ku is going to live and die by the 3 - - - 5/21 - -4/20 in big 12 play is NOT going to get you wins in the Big 12. - -This team is a frustrating team to watch.

Long scoring droughts – piss poor shooting stretches - - times where we are a turnover machine looking for a place to happen. - - Then the opposite , just lights out from the three - - getting multiple Steals - -getting out and run – -crazy on defense - - at times like lat night after being down and buried smacking the other team right in the mouth like last night 21-2 run BUT then turn right around and go brain dead a pass to who? - -leaving a guy WIDE WIDE open for the tying 3 even though he IS a 28% shooter dammit you still got to make an attempt - - this = frustration. - -Hard to get pumped for the season when you have these things going on.

Just really frustrating after going through our annual bashing every week during the football Season so you look forward to Basketball and ew have games like this - -test you for sure but as always I’m STILL here to say - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I always tell you that I don’t get nervous until the last minute. Paid off last night…until the last minute.

• Thought I’d just put this here so people no matter what will still be able to twist things around and STILL try to make it look like Dave shouldn’t play - - how poor he plays, see this way still be able to try and find holes - -so anyways they can feel justified by continuing to throw the shade at him but anyways here you go:

David is tied for team lead in blocks - - - He is shooting 45.6 which I believe is the 2nd best % on the team and above the team average of 44 % - - Dave leads the team in Free Throw % at 84 % - - - Scoring 12.1 per game which is solid , - - Averages 6.2 rpg per game 2nd on the team behind Wilson - - - -1 block per game ( Could be better ) - - -Less turnovers then Wilson & Braun & he turns the ball over once like every 12 minutes – not the leader as far as turning the ball over either - - Wilson leads that. - -Pretty decent stats to me , but who am I - people will still find flaws and say he doesn’t deserve to play - - pretty sad, where would we have been WITHOUT his 24/12/3 last night? - - -hmmmm

• @jayballer67 Stats don’t tell the whole story. Also, he’s 4th in FG% of rotation players :

1. Chris Teahan G
    2. Mitch Lightfoot F
    3. Latrell Jossell G
    4. Tristan Enaruna G
    5. Gethro Muscadin F
    6. Jalen Wilson F
    7. David McCormack F

Your center is supposed to have the highest FG% on the team. Anyone who only shoots 2’s needs to have a high FG%, especially when their usage is absurdly high. That’s what we’ve been saying all season; that doesn’t change.

He has been historically bad this season on offense up until the last few games, and bad on defense as well. However, he was great in the last 10 minutes of yesterday’s game. His stat line of 24/12/3 was legit. He carried us on offense, and he played good defense down the stretch. He squared up his body when he shot his baby hook, he didn’t settle for bad shots, his 3 assists meant he wasn’t a black hole when we passed it in. Rim protection was nice. He played within the flow.

To expound on your point, if he can build on this, and be THIS Dave every game, he can be a big part of our success, and his cumulative stats by season’s end could be much better.

• @jayballer67 where would we have been WITHOUT his 24/12/3 last night?

We probably would have lost. Oh, wait…

• The pieces to this team don’t fit and its not a good shooting team. Every loss or close game is because the offense stinks. When everyone plays well or to expectation this team can compete and win any game. But if you have 1-2 starter struggling a game, consistently, games like Tuesday are going to happen a lot more. For every good shooting game we have we seem to have 2-3 bad ones. There’s no margin for error and that’s where other issues pop up.

Self’s been harping that this team doesn’t get easy baskets, they don’t. They rely on half court offense. He’s been harping they don’t run and get out in transition, they don’t. We let other teams do that against us though. Oklahoma St got 30 easy points. Oklahoma had 7 I think Self said after that game.

The pieces don’t fit and Self doesn’t have anywhere else to go. Bryce is hurt again so there was his first guard off the bench. Mitch has his moments where he can be good but he plays limited minutes for a reason. Enaruna has ramped up his energy level and is starting to get it. Maybe he continues to rise like Braun did in conference play last year. Harris has been a bright spot in certain games but a non-factor in others. He’s a freshman having freshman moments. And he’s completely unplayable next to Garrett due to how bad the offense is.

The rise of McCormack’s play has come at a cost. He’s averaging historic usage under Self. As great as his offense was against Oklahoma St, his defense was so detrimental for periods of time that Self had to play zone and triangle and two. But he couldn’t sit him because he was scoring and the only guy scoring consistently. Gift and a curse.

Hopefully Self can figure some things out with this offense and figure out how to get all 5 guys on the same page. He needs 3 guys every single night to get their average or more.

The pieces to this team don’t fit and its not a good shooting team. Every loss or close game is because the offense stinks. When everyone plays well or to expectation this team can compete and win any game. But if you have 1-2 starter struggling a game, consistently, games like Tuesday are going to happen a lot more. For every good shooting game we have we seem to have 2-3 bad ones. There’s no margin for error and that’s where other issues pop up.

Self’s been harping that this team doesn’t get easy baskets, they don’t. They rely on half court offense. He’s been harping they don’t run and get out in transition, they don’t. We let other teams do that against us though. Oklahoma St got 30 easy points. Oklahoma had 7 I think Self said after that game.

The pieces don’t fit and Self doesn’t have anywhere else to go. Bryce is hurt again so there was his first guard off the bench. Mitch has his moments where he can be good but he plays limited minutes for a reason. Enaruna has ramped up his energy level and is starting to get it. Maybe he continues to rise like Braun did in conference play last year. Harris has been a bright spot in certain games but a non-factor in others. He’s a freshman having freshman moments. And he’s completely unplayable next to Garrett due to how bad the offense is.

The rise of McCormack’s play has come at a cost. He’s averaging historic usage under Self. As great as his offense was against Oklahoma St, his defense was so detrimental for periods of time that Self had to play zone and triangle and two. But he couldn’t sit him because he was scoring and the only guy scoring consistently. Gift and a curse.

Hopefully Self can figure some things out with this offense and figure out how to get all 5 guys on the same page. He needs 3 guys every single night to get their average or more.

I think your laying a little to much blame on the defensive end on David - -David is an easy target to do so, it was far more nad has been far more then Dave on the defensive end that sucks. - This team is not anywhere close as a TEAM defensively as teams past. I’ve seen to many blown defensive assignments on the outer/back court once again wide open 3’s - -your guards not getting back on defense to help prevent fast break points - -All I need to refer to is the number 37 , can’t blame that on Dave as he is trying to hit boards for rebounds. - -Lot bigger kettle to this defensive mess then Dave

• @tundrahok said in Okie Lite Game Thread:

@jayballer67 where would we have been WITHOUT his 24/12/3 last night?

We probably would have lost. Oh, wait…

No we would of had our ass handed to us on a platter

• @approxinfinity Dave has been doing this for more then one game now , he has played since Coach has went back more to the conventional Big he is use to playing , over the last THREE games Dave has averaged 20.3 ppg - - -7 rpg’s and 2.3 blocks per. I know ALOT to teams that would be more then happy with that.

Other games where other teams don’t have that traditional big sure he hasn’t played as much more of the four around one Coach knows this - - - Dave knows this - - You know this - -I know this he can’t play, not his fault for that. - -and actually no he is not the 4th in rotational players.

Wilson : - - 48 % McCormack : - - 45.6 Ochai : - - 44% Braun: - - -40 % Garrett; - -41.4 %

Sure Lightfoot & Enaruna have better % but they are playing far less and have taken way many attempts , so to that point would have to say wrong. Could he do better ? - - HELL YA but come on Could Braun do better - Hell 40 % shooting? - -that’s not good to some extent every single player on this team could sure do better. you win as a team - - you lose as a team it’s just that seems like Dave is an easy target for some to blame. - -I think to a point people plain and simple just got way to spoiled from Doke and his high shooting % of 1-2 foot flushes - -enhancing his ppg and rim protection & now SOME and I’m saying some so people don’t go and get your panties all in a knot I didn’t say everyone but some think anything else is unacceptable and again David becomes that easy target, when we have played the traditional then Dave has done ok and getting better.

Do I feel we should play that way all the time? – HELL NO you play to the setting. - -like has been said Again for this years squad our make up this year , this team is going to live and die by the 3, so maybe we should start talking a little more about what our outside players are doing or better yet what they are NOT doing.