Exclusive! Wissox snags game notes from coach Self.

• Since I teach at home I’ve got abilities to look into my students computers whenever they’re on. (Only on school issued computers BTW) I decided to test these skills and hit a gold mine when I found some assistant to the assistant coaches play by play notes on the game. So here goes.

Tip:
    TTech scores over Dave

Dave misses

Bogus foul against KU

Chai scores

KU defends shot

Ku guard throws it away

Bogus foul called against KU

No foul called on TT

Garrett ugly shot

McFlung flings one in,

Bilas goes nuts

TT guy flies into pile, quite majestically actually and clobbers everyone but KU guy fouled him.

Dave misses

Garrett steals, hands ball back to TT player, saying sorry, then steals it again, and then throws a pass to a socially distanced part of the court.

McFlung flings one in,

Bilas goes nuts

Wilson gets fouled on drive to hoop, ref accidentally calls charge

Bilas goes nuts.

Garrett ugly shot

Dave misses

Foul on KU

Shortest team on floor in KU history builds a small lead.

Entire team in danger of fouling out in first half.

McFlung flings one in

Bilas goes nuts.

Buzzer sounds 1st half.

KU by 3, with 249 fouls and TT with 1 after which ref was seen mouthing words to Beard “my bad”

2nd half begins

Massive KU run

Massiver TT run with 3 dave misses, amazing offensive rebounds after ku players step out of their way

After every TT basket KU Forguards tell TT this game will be funner to win if we hand you the ball 8 times in a row without getting a shot off.

Dave misses

Garrett ugly shot

Ochai gets hotter than a dusty Lubbock gravel road at noon on July 29th.

TT gets fouled

KU doesn’t

Ball goes out on McFlung who tells ref it was off the foot of the photographer, not my foot.

Dave misses

McFlung stops flinging them in

Garrett ugly shot

Ochai stays hotter than coach selfs wife (remember these aren’t wissox’ words)

Braun makes and converts a 3 point play in everyones mind except one blind ref.

Bilas goes nuts.

KU attempts to allow TT to win the game

TT says thanks, but we don’t know how to make a shot.

Dave misses

McFlung misses

Bilas goes notes.

Chai winner

Wilson defense

Refs apologize to coach Beard

Postgame notes. Games with TT always tough. No animosity Mad respect for them.

Change Wilson charge to correct call of a block and we get 2 FT’s and preserve Wilson for longer into the half.

Rebounding….looks on youtube for fun rebounding games which teach it for 4th graders.

Change Braun call into right And 1, and we extend the lead to 6. As precious as points are in this game that could have just about ended it.

Our defense doesn’t need as much work now as it did after the Zags game.

• McFlung McBricked in the 2nd half. Loved it

• @BeddieKU23 Had he shot it in the 2nd half like he did in the 1st they might have won that game.

• he started out in the beginning they said 4-8 & finished 5-16 - meaning he finished up 1-8 Marcus & others really clamped down later

• @wissox said in Exclusive! Wissox snags game notes from coach Self.:

@BeddieKU23 Had he shot it in the 2nd half like he did in the 1st they might have won that game.

well its a good thing he was Jekyll and Hyde

• I know I’ve had mixed feelings about Bilas… but man did he call it right last night about the bogus charges. I loved how he continued to harp on those stupid calls which really impacted the aggressive play in the game.

• @drgnslayr said in Exclusive! Wissox snags game notes from coach Self.:

I know I’ve had mixed feelings about Bilas… but man did he call it right last night about the bogus charges. I loved how he continued to harp on those stupid calls which really impacted the aggressive play in the game.

ya I heard him say multiple times about those , and at one point he said those are just NOT CHARGES - said he would tell Tech to just keep doing what they were doing just fall down - - those were not charges he said - -pretty messed up for sure

• What can I say about Wilson… except wow! He definitely didn’t have a great game but that didn’t stop him from stepping up down the stretch. That is the Type A personality we need on this team!

This team just hasn’t come together yet with a game plan and an identity. I know it has been said that it’s happening… but I still see just a bunch of guys not playing on the same page. They really need Xmas break to have some days of practice to form some kind of offense… and also how better to play team defense.

Thank you, Riverboat Gambler… for chatting up the game! Ha… just practice 20 minutes on a zone… hahahaha… yeah right! If that is true, we better be playing a lot of zone moving forward because it was the difference in this game. You can’t have an effective zone by only practicing for 20 minutes. Teaching players how to sew up the seams takes practice. Self just doesn’t want other teams to scout and prepare for our zone.

I still have my eyes glued on Harris. He made a few mistakes in this game, but he also produced a lot of help where it didn’t make it on the stat sheet.

Gosh… how do teams scout us? They now just going to focus on Agbaji? Ha… you already know he will probably disappear for a few games while others step up. Wilson, Braun, McCormack… any of those guys are capable of leading in scoring in a game.

My question mark is with Garrett. Is he still not at 100%? This isn’t what I was expecting this year from Marcus. He’s a senior but in some ways, he seems a bit lost out there. I know his play has always depended on the team playing together well… so that is part of the problem. But is that all of the problem? I’ve never been for this idea that he shifts into a point guard. I don’t think that helps him find a career later, either. He just isn’t a point guard. No slam to Marcus… because you just don’t make someone into a point guard. Even guys who had a more natural skillset to help them turn into point guards have a hard time. Frank Mason comes to mind. He was a scoring guard playing off-ball in high school. We watched how he transitioned into being a point guard and it did take all 4 years and I don’t think he will ever be considered the best point guard ever to play at Kansas. He was just a great player! He still struggled to be a playmaker beyond just him finishing his own scoring moves. Back to Marcus… hopefully, he’ll be more productive as the team comes together. He’s forcing a lot of shots at the rim that just aren’t there and he’s getting blocked a lot. The spacing isn’t there and he’s telegraphing his drives and not able to protect the ball on his shots. I hate to see this because he has more abilities than this shows and it might hurt his confidence moving forward. I think we need to sketch in some plays that better allows Marcus to score. He may not have the alpha like Wilson, or the scoring skills like Agbaji… but he is the senior leadership and the guy with all the experience to help this team and without question, the talent to lead the defense.

• @drgnslayr Wilson was totally taken out of the game by the officials I think. Tough to play tough aggressive basketball if the zebras are going to call fouls on you every time you do. He’s the one who got the bogus call too when the TT guy flew into the pile.

• @BeddieKU23 Truth be told, he did make 5 of 6 FT’s in the 2nd half. So he still did some scoring damage.

• @wissox Glad you pointed out free throws - my own personal pet peeve. So, last night - in a one point win - we hit 14/15 free throws. I feel vindicated!!

• 72% on the year now, reasonable.

• @nuleafjhawk I’m glad you said it. I hate it that guys miss FT’s. Every college team should be 80%. It’s a flick of the wrist. I can do it and I’m 56 years old! For goodness sakes bill Self, hire me to be FT coach! Even Doke would have made, well, not 80% but hack a doke if I’m coach? NO WAY!!

• @wissox said in Exclusive! Wissox snags game notes from coach Self.:

@nuleafjhawk I’m glad you said it. I hate it that guys miss FT’s. Every college team should be 80%. It’s a flick of the wrist. I can do it and I’m 56 years old! For goodness sakes bill Self, hire me to be FT coach! Even Doke would have made, well, not 80% but hack a doke if I’m coach? NO WAY!!

Free throws are more mental than physical at the college level. Word always was doke shot fine when practicing. It’s about focus, managing adrenaline, fatigue, etc.

Yeah sure I can go to an empty gym and make 8-10 (well back before Covid when I went to the gym). But if you put most of us in a game situation where we’ve been fully exerting ourselves for 20 plus minutes, in a packed house, on national tv, in a game with real implications that 8-10 goes out the window. Some of that you just can’t simulate in practice.

It’s like a tee shot over water. There’s nothing fundamentally different about the motion you are trying to make but the mental challenge can be significant.