All Politicked Out? Election 2020

• I’m curious at what point the sane Republicans realized that Trump was inciting violence and had no plans to just go away. And when they did realize it, did they think that those enabling the President were morally in the wrong? Or did they think “well that’s just politics”?

• Let me throw out two statements and tell me which one resonates more with you:

• every circumstance in life is an opportunity to maximize one’s outcome

• every circumstance in life is an experience that one might learn from

• @approxinfinity some did leave. I’ve heard some are staying on just to keep the transition smooth🤷♀️ The seditious 6 or 7? are really hearing about it. Josh Hawley is losing a book deal and backing.

• I have not seen this anywhere else, but I fully expect Trump to pardon the Capitol rioters on his way out the door.

• @mayjay your thoughts on this? Not the pardon, what happened.

• @Crimsonorblue22 Every anti-Trump newspaper in the country should have run a banner headline yesterday morning reading: Told You So

• @Crimsonorblue22 As to impeachment, waste of time. Ignore him and don’t give the Repubs something to rally around.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I forgot to mention that I am surprised the Repubs aren’t pushing to seize Hillary’s emails for evidence of the diabolical Antifa plan to coax white supremacists in rioting.

• Ding dong the witch is dead. Twitter banned Trump forever. Not sure the wisdom of it but hey, they can do what they please.

• May the rest of the country heal as the Republican Party discards one ugly face and schemes on a new look for 2022

• Will we heal? That’s kinda what I wanted @mayjay . These guys are everywhere and they believe everything trump tells them. It shocks me. I watched the Georgia election guy go over ever allegation/Conspiracy theory there is and he’s a republican, voted for trump. They claim to be Christian, but that’s not what I learn in church. How can a patriot desecrate our Capitol? Then there’s the confederate flag😢 somebody counted and said there were more trump flags than American flags. I’ll stop.

• A lot of the American right is in a bad place right now, that much is obvious. Its embrace of grievance politics is gross. I miss the days when Mitt and Jeb! were the standard bearers.

• @FarmerJayhawk how can that many people be so stupid? Reminds me of Jim baker.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I wish I could tell you. There’s some deep introspection going on in a lot of places on the right. For a lot of us, we’re vindicated and it feels miserable.

• Without grievance politics the Republicans lose to Hillary. And the courts would consequentially be more liberal. Maybe that was the natural progression of this country in 2016; but instead of evolving with the times, the right decided to hand the reins to an idiot despot ruler who would gladly burn everything down, after Mcconnell’s obstructionism forced the Republican party to avoid any compromise with the Democrats since 2014.

And despite every horrible thing Trump’s done, for 4 years the Republicans in Washington have stood lock step with Trump.

How can people celebrate Mitch McConnell when it’s his BS politics that has exacerbated the toxic partisan extremism we have in Washington today?

Our forefathers feared tyranny of the majority, something that conservatives seem fond to note, and yet, they don’t bat an eye when their Senate Majority Leader is all in on promoting a tyranny of the minority, stonewalling any attempts at real politics in Washington.

• Is joe Biden safe? What will these people do? Will they fall apart?

• @Crimsonorblue22 Sadly, anyone looking for a happy rainbow shining over the country after Hurricane Trump blows out of town is not paying enough attention.

I would like to say we will heal, but I actually fear we are in for a long period of political violence as the lunatic gun fringe keeps itself riled up and finds cover in the Cruz/Rubio/Hawley/Hannity pack.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/us/online-extremism-inauguration-capitol-invs/index.html

These people–call them whatever you want, but they are comfortable with Nazis and Confederate flags in their midst–are fanatics and our system is just not set up for dissuading cult believers. I suspect we will have to experience a lot of clampdowns on the freedoms we are used to if there is to be any retreat from the social media being used to incite flash mob violence.

I have warned here before against efforts to control free speech, but maybe that, too, will be radically changed with laws similar to Europe’s.

The bad thing is that it will take a genuine concensus across a broad spectrum of political views to root out the militias and prevent more 2nd Amendment riots.

The good thing is I expect it to eventually happen, but the question on the other side of that is whether I will live long enough to see it because it may take generations. Or maybe climate change will moot it all.

• @mayjay will it make any difference if he goes to jail, I think he has several cases lined up. I also think that’s why he’s been going off the deep end. Thought maybe that would cool off the trumpsters. Or make them worse?

• @Crimsonorblue22 At this point, I’m all for sending him to jail, come what may. I don’t think it will cool off all of the Trumpsters, but I think the 2000 that stormed the capital are the craziest of the crazies. Most irrational Trump supporters aren’t crazy (yet?) but they need rails, like seeing there are consequences when you incite an attack on the Capitol.

• @approxinfinity said in All Politicked Out? Election 2020:

Without grievance politics the Republicans lose to Hillary. And the courts would consequentially be more liberal. Maybe that was the natural progression of this country in 2016; but instead of evolving with the times, the right decided to hand the reins to an idiot despot ruler who would gladly burn everything down, after Mcconnell’s obstructionism forced the Republican party to avoid any compromise with the Democrats since 2014.

And despite every horrible thing Trump’s done, for 4 years the Republicans in Washington have stood lock step with Trump.

How can people celebrate Mitch McConnell when it’s his BS politics that has exacerbated the toxic partisan extremism we have in Washington today?

Our forefathers feared tyranny of the majority, something that conservatives seem fond to note, and yet, they don’t bat and eye when their Senate Majority Leader is all in on promoting a tyranny of the minority, stonewalling any attempts at real politics in Washington.

I’m not sure they do! I’ll probably go to my grave swearing up and down Jeb! beats Hillary. We’ll never know and nobody has evidence either way, but that’s my instinct. I will admit the GOP never dealt with the rising populist tide on the right in an adequate way. I’ll take some blame for that. I saw some troubling signs in the 12 and 14 cycles and kind of brushed them aside since they voted our way and assumed we could keep them at arms length forever. Then Trump came down the escalator and everything changed (to us on the normie right’s horror). The wave we caught to elect people like Lynn Jenkins, Pat Roberts, Kevin Yoder, Joni Ernst, Ben Sasse, et al. pre-16 ended up pulling us under. Now it’s up to us to bring the right back to shore, because this country is more healthy with a vibrant center-right. I still firmly believe in the fusionist project, though I’m on the libertarian side of things. And we’re working on it. Whether it’s through the GOP or not is TBD. I don’t expect any cheers from the left. In fact, I fully expect Lincoln Project and PodBro types to keep saying the fusionist right was always trash and they never believed any of it was different than Trumpism, however defined. Which is fine. That’s their deal.

McConnell took calculated risks. Harry Reid escalated in nuking the filibuster for sub-SCOTUS nominees and passing major legislation through budget reconciliation, moves I’m sure he regrets now. Legislative leaders need to be very careful in the genies they let out of the bottle. It’s a complicated business managing a small majority, as Schumer and Pelosi are about to find out.

I would be intrigued to see a third Senate caucus form. Since it’s 50/50, 10 Senators could control the chamber. Say, Romney, Manchin, Sinema, Collins, Coons, Murkowski, Sasse, Kelly, Portman, Tester if they voted as as bloc on legislation. Could split any way on nominations.

• Where’s Q going to go?

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in All Politicked Out? Election 2020:

Where’s Q going to go?

Hell.

This segment is a must watch. I put my life in the hands of the cap police every day back when I was a staffer. Without that sense of security we couldn’t do our jobs. I’m both sad and absolutely livid this President incited a riot at the seat of our government. https://t.co/hcmDUsJpPf

• @FarmerJayhawk he’s responsible for so many deaths. I hope he pays. He’s truly a monster.

• @Crimsonorblue22 In a normal world, it would make a difference if he was jailed. But to the unhinged it will just prove how persecuted he is, and become another rallying point. Same with impeachment.

I think Biden should have DOJ list all the possible crimes and then pardon DJT in a speech specifically delineating his criminal activity. Similar to Ford for Nixon, but with specifics. Goal is to neuter his future influence.

Dems need to get a grip and prove they can govern effectively with positive outcomes for all on the political spectrum. Obsessing over Trump after he is out ain’t gonna create jobs, mitigate the pandemic, or repair roads.

• McConnell may drive the impeachment, taking up the articles in the Senate 1 hour after inauguration.

• @approxinfinity Lots of commentary that impeachment can proceed after he leaves office because if convicted, Senate is not limited to removal. They could bar him from future federal office and benefits. Would it not be cool if he is stripped of pension and library, etc?

Never happen, tho…

• @mayjay Biden will be running the country. But

• @Crimsonorblue22 Reminds me of Jim JONES.

• https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/politics/fbi-bulletin-armed-protests-state-us-capitol/index.html

Definitely over the, “They were both bad candidates” crowd. But her emails… (emphasis on HER). Dangerous rhetoric is called dangerous for a reason.

• It would be great if his term is really over at 7:49 tonight… Until we find out why.

• Maybe the Republicans will use the old “he was a chaos monkey.” defense.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_engineering

• If he’s saying this, he has the votes. It’s ovaaaaaaaaa https://twitter.com/hotlinejosh/status/1349107411685154818?s=21

• @FarmerJayhawk Mitch didn’t even vote to convict.

What we’ve learned: Trump didn’t disappear after losing the election. QAnon is dangerous. And Mitch McConnell is testicle-free.

@FarmerJayhawk Mitch didn’t even vote to convict.

What we’ve learned: Trump didn’t disappear after losing the election. QAnon is dangerous. And Mitch McConnell is testicle-free.

His argument is forum non conveniens. I disagree but at least he was consistent about it. Also Schumer is a chode. Totally blew it. There’s a truthism in DC that the most dangerous place in town is between Chuck and a camera. He keeps proving it.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in All Politicked Out? Election 2020:

forum non conveniens

I don’t understand. He thinks the legal system will examine whether Trump incited an insurrection? If that’s his reason, then it looks like more than a disagreeable conclusion to me. It’s a complete reversal of his position a month ago. A complete lie: because he couldn’t get the votes, he made up a reason for not voting for impeachment so he didn’t have to be on the record doing the right thing.

The turtle recedes into his shell.

@FarmerJayhawk said in All Politicked Out? Election 2020:

forum non conveniens

I don’t understand. He thinks the legal system will examine whether Trump incited an insurrection? If that’s his reason, then it looks like more than a disagreeable conclusion to me. It’s a complete reversal of his position a month ago. A complete lie: because he couldn’t get the votes, he made up a reason for not voting for impeachment so he didn’t have to be on the record doing the right thing.

The turtle recedes into his shell.

Bingo. If you read his statement it’s clear he wants this handled in a criminal court and then by voters. I disagree with him, but that’s his opinion. https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1360697577776242694?s=21

I’m more furious at Schumer and the House managers for not calling any witnesses and drafting a shoddy article. He could’ve gotten some R’s on the fence had he called McCarthy or Pence. Shoot, he had a SITTING REPUBLICAN CONGRESSWOMAN ready to testify and he just was like nah I’m good. You had House R’s on the record saying yeah I could vote for a more general article but not a criminal indictment. It’s amazing how consistently awful at this they are.

• There’s a difference between saying the right thing and doing the right thing. His vote speaks way louder than his words. This isn’t an opinion, imo. It’s a vote. His opinion is that he was guilty. So vote guilty. It’s really quite simple.

• I can see your point about the handling of the impeachent. However, blaming the guy who is inept vs the guy that is morally bankrupt seems like a cop out.

There’s a difference between saying the right thing and doing the right thing. His vote speaks way louder than his words. This isn’t an opinion, imo. It’s a vote. His opinion is that he was guilty. So vote guilty. It’s really quite simple.

It’s a constitutional argument. He doesn’t think it’s constitutional to convict someone who’s left office. I don’t agree, but there’s an argument for it. It’s not a cop out to assign blame wherever I see it. Plenty to go around. McConnell was wrong and Schumer can’t run the Senate out of a paper bag. They totally blew it.

• @FarmerJayhawk my point though is that McConnell wanted to impeach a month ago before his party rallied around a position that didn’t repudiate Trump for fear of alienating his base. You know he wanted impeachment, because you posted about it. His constitutional argument now is merely a convenience, because he’s decided to save his own sorry ass the next election cycle.

You may call this politics. I call it self serving cowardice.

I think you’re avoiding my point, and we can move on.

I’m doubtful that under any circumstances under his control, Schumer could have convinced 10 more Republicans to vote for impeachment.

@FarmerJayhawk my point though is that McConnell wanted to impeach a month ago before his party rallied around a position that didn’t repudiate Trump for fear of alienating his base. You know he wanted impeachment, because you posted about it. His constitutional argument now is merely a convenience, because he’s decided to save his own sorry ass the next election cycle.

You may call this politics. I call it self serving cowardice.

I think you’re avoiding my point, and we can move on.

I’m doubtful that under any circumstances under his control, Schumer could have convinced 10 more Republicans to vote for impeachment.

I’m 100% convinced had the House acted responsibly, Trump would’ve been convicted. Dithering for a week then wasting more time in sending over the article (the Senate can accept them even in pro forma) stalled out any momentum. And there’s a legit constitutional argument about whether you can convict a former President. You can call it a cop out, fine. But not like it’s a radical position. McConnell could cure cancer and you’d still hate him, I get it. I’m not avoiding your point, I just disagree with it. Schumer probably couldn’t, but I guarantee there would’ve been 10 more had the House not screwed around for 3 weeks. Which is why it was so important to do it quickly. You have to strike while the iron is hot in politics. Moods change. It wasn’t a complicated article to draft. D’s are just so incompetent they couldn’t even do the most simple thing right. They act quickly and there is no escape hatch. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me at all if they didn’t really care about conviction because they’d love for Trump to be the GOP nominee in 24. Their actions don’t exactly scream otherwise.

• @FarmerJayhawk Well I appreciate your insights, but think you’re still dodging whether McConnell actually believed the constutionality argument or just ended up there now because he didn’t have the votes (he’s not curing cancer, he IS cancer) , and I agree waiting 3 weeks was weak on the Democrats part. Interesting thought that they want him as the nominee. Possible but really irresponsible if so.

• @approxinfinity he’s been consistent there. He voted aye on Paul’s motion weeks ago that it was unconstitutional. He voted that way again right before the trial. He said as much again today. I think he’s wrong, but I think he’s sincere about it. Put another way, if this vote was a month ago I have little doubt he’d vote to convict, as would at least 9 more Republicans. His office was leaking like a sieve in January he may even be inclined to convict. They were putting out the signal that A) House get it together and let’s do this thing 😎 I won’t whip a no vote so everyone vote their conscience.

McConnell was LIVID at the White House for costing him the majority in Georgia. Like white hot, Biblical fire and brimstone, bask in the lamentations of women, fanatical rage at Trump for Georgia. He wanted his pound of flesh from the Biden administration on appointees. Like sorry Joe, no Neera Tanden (an objectively awful human) at OMB. No Xavier Bacera at HHS. Get to dictate to Biden what big legislation looks like, especially given the House is a trash fire. It was going to be good to be Majority Leader! But nooooo the Trump/Wood/Powell/Rudy gang of clowns had to spend all that time in Georgia telling folks the election was stolen and the runoff was a lost cause because Hugo Chavez was going to install Ossoff and Warnock from the great beyond. Just incomprehensible stupidity. Then listening to both his speeches on 1/7 and then today, it’s obvious McConnell still has the fury as hot as 1000 Suns for Trump and if he dropped dead tomorrow Mitch would probably have himself a nice Kentucky bourbon.

• @FarmerJayhawk thanks for this.

@FarmerJayhawk thanks for this.

No problem. Always enjoy the conversation and banter!

• @FarmerJayhawk https://www.hutchnews.com/story/opinion/columns/2021/02/15/moore-missed-opportunity/6754281002/

I remembered what you told me awhile back, it’s bothered me for awhile. Gov. Kelly is taking the heat for the DOL not getting checks out. Everything has been a nightmare with that system! She gets all the blame. They’ve tried to duct tape it up🤣 numerous times.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in All Politicked Out? Election 2020:

@FarmerJayhawk https://www.hutchnews.com/story/opinion/columns/2021/02/15/moore-missed-opportunity/6754281002/

I remembered what you told me awhile back, it’s bothered me for awhile. Gov. Kelly is taking the heat for the DOL not getting checks out. Everything has been a nightmare with that system! She gets all the blame. They’ve tried to duct tape it up🤣 numerous times.

Oh jeez, that freaking computer story again! State IT infrastructure is maybe the least sexy issue in the history of the state buuuuut it’s also one of those basic things we need to get right as a functioning Government. And very unsurprisingly, the legislature hasn’t been interested. Another fun fact. The state’s contract database is still in DOS. Any business that operated like this would be out of business and maybe criminally liable. It’s just bonkers!