One More Reason For Turner To Leave His State...

• Here is yet another reason Myles Turner should consider playing basketball in another State:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/04/19/texas-lb-edmond-calls-baylor-trash/7918453/

… so he can focus on basketball and get away from all the negative chaos.

Oklahoma is still too close… it is more like the needed buffer zone away from all the negative chatter.

• @drgnslayr It might have some relevance if Myles was a football player.

• @KUSTEVE

Just reaching for straws… but there is more inner-state chatter in Texas than in Kansas.

I thought the story was funny, and worth earmarking… especially if Baylor sticks it to Texas again.

• @drgnslayr … especially if Baylor sticks it to Texas again.

Well now that Texas has a football coach that isn’t resting on Vince Youngs National Title, I’m not completely sure how that series will be again.

C’mon let’s face it Mack Brown was such a terrible coach he benched Major Applewhite for Chris Simms. Was Simms ever better, or was who his daddy was???

• @JRyman

I’m anxious to see where Texas football goes. I never understood how Mack held that job for so long.

• When he beat USC for the National Championship- that bought him (Mack) a lot of extended seasons.

Plus, I am still extremely happy he “took the USC banners down” in Southern California. Those jerks flew them 24/7 year round.

Here in Texas you see UT or A&M flags on game day (and our KU and K-state flags as well (varies by season). Some of these Katrina transplanted LSU d*cks fly them all season long. It doesn’t sit well as everyone else follows the game day tradition but a ton of LSU fans leave them up all the time.

Another thing that pisses me off. There are huge billboards in Austin (home of UT) that say, “This is SEC country”. You don’t see big 12 billboards in College Station. We have more class than that.

• @JayhawkRock78 “This is SEC country”.

Securities & Exchange Commission ?

• UT HC Strong has caught some crap lately for this comment about not winning a championship this season.

“We have everything available, and I don’t know why we can’t be successful,” Strong said via the Austin American-Statesman. “There’s no reason for us not to be. Now, I can’t tell you how soon it’s going to be. Don’t hold me to that. Don’t say, ‘Ooh, coach said next year we’ll be in the national …’ We will not be in the national championship game.”

Although he’s telling the truth many think he’s giving up on this season already…

• @Kip_McSmithers My dad has lived in the Austin area for 30 years.

He’s a little worried for Coach Strong’s general health.

• Maybe I missed something but if the twins don’t go pro at kentucky won’t they be at 1 over on the scholarship limit. We all know that he can and will move mountains to free up a 'ship for a diaper dandy over a vet like the best of them (coaches) but doesn’t it make it highly unlikely that the slime ball could dump two scholarships?? Or do they play by the womens rules and get 15?

• @Kip_McSmithers

This site has a summary of scholarships…

UK scholarships…

The graph is confusing to read but as far as I can tell, and with only Randle and Young leaving, they have 14 players on scholarship, which means one will have to go, unless one or more additional players opt for the draft.

• From The Daily Texan (the newspaper on campus)

Why five-star recruit Myles Turner should not choose Texas

Myles Turner, a five-star recruit in the class of 2014, has his college choices down to seven school, which includes Texas.

Published on April 23, 2014 at 12:05 amLast update on April 23, 2014 at 12:09 am By Evan Berkowitz

Basketball fans dream about walking through the tunnels at Allen Fieldhouse or hitting a buzzer-beater against North Carolina at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

But not many imagine hitting a game-winning shot at the Frank Erwin Center.

So why would Myles Turner, the lone uncommitted five-star recruit in the 2014 class, choose to attend Texas?

The 6-foot-10 high school senior, who attends Trinity High School, could potentially transform whatever school he chooses to attend into a legitimate championship contender. He can knock down jumpers, dominate inside and protect the rim.

Seven schools are still chasing him: Duke, Kansas, SMU, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Ohio State and Texas.

Some reports have Turner leaning toward Texas — he even tweeted admiration of the school last week. But if I were Turner, I would take the nod of recent Texas high school greats and spurn the Longhorns.

Kentucky’s Julius Randle, Baylor’s Isaiah Austin and class of 2014 five-star recruit and SMU committ Emmanual Mudiay all chose other schools.

Here are a few reasons why.

The Atmosphere

No matter how successful the basketball program is for Texas, it isn’t football.

Longhorn fans aren’t the most passionate about basketball. Fans don’t show up for nonconference game, and only games against Oklahoma and Kansas seem to get fans on their feet.

The Erwin Center is devoid of a deafening atmosphere. Even if the crowd is relatively large, seats almost always look empty because of the size of the building.

Wouldn’t Turner rather play at Allen Fieldhouse, the place ESPN ranked as the loudest stadium in college basketball?

Heck, even SMU’s newly renovated Moody Coliseum offers a better basketball experience than the Erwin Center.

The Spotlight

Texas basketball doesn’t get a lot of attention around Austin.

Even though the team was ranked in the top 20 this past season, the only thing Longhorn fans could pay attention to was the beginning of new football head coach Charlie Strong’s program. Part of this is attributable to the Big 12 Conference itself, as it’s not too flashy. The Big 12 is deep, and one could even make the case that it was the best conference last year. But only Kansas was really ever a championship contender.

The ACC, Big 10 and even the AAC had more weeks in the top 10 than the Big 12. While the No. 20 and No. 21 teams matching up is a good game, the country will always pay more attention to perennial top-5 teams. If Turner went to Duke or Ohio State, he would have more high-profile games to boost his stock.

COACHING

Rick Barnes is a good coach. But would people rather play for him than Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, Kansas’ Bill Self or SMU’s Larry Brown? Turner will likely turn pro after one year, and, while talented, his game is in need of considerable molding. Barnes is not the best man to do that. Krzyzewski, Self and Brown all have considerable experience preparing players for the NBA.

Close proximity to home and following the path of his favorite player Kevin Durant are compelling reasons for Turner to attend Texas. But, with the wealth of experience he could gain elsewhere, are the Longhorns really the best place for Turner to play in college?

• @JayHawkFanToo : Yeah that’s the site I looked at to see what their scholarship status was. I’d read were some people were still thinking Turner was a possibility for uk but adding him would put them at two over the limit so I don’t see how people think he’s considering uk.

• @Kip_McSmithers

I don’t believe he is considering UK, regardless of what that site may indicate. He is down to 7 schools, KU, Duke, Texas, SMU, Texas A&M, Ohio State and Oklahoma State.

Now, if both twins leave, UK would have one spot open, but they also had one available last year after Kyle Wiltjer left in the summer; probably one of the walk-ons got a one year scholarship, much like KU has done in the past when one was available after all the recruiting was done.

• @Kip_McSmithers

I can’t believe Myles would consider UK. He would make it (potentially) their 3rd or 4th 7-footer. Unless he can suddenly develop guard skills.

• The home state has an automatic advantage as long as they have a good program. Not great, but good. They do. You never know how he feels about a 3 man rotation with Perry and Cliff. We are BigMan U though…should mean a lot.

• @Hawk8086 how many big guys does Texas have?

• This guy makes it sound like UT is a done deal.

• @approxinfinity : Even more shocking is the guy that wrote that piece is a KU fan. Not sure it’s as done of a deal as he thinks.

• @JayHawkFanToo We know they have 13. They are losing Young and Randle.

This would make 11. They signed 4, which brings you to 15.

Therefore, one or both twins must leave. It will be interesting to see who Calipari forces out if both decide to stay. But, my guess is one or both will definitely be leaving. Calipari is working hard to get who he wants to stay and leave. I got to give Calipari credit, he dictates to his players and tells them, “you need to stay” or “you can go.” It’s beautiful to watch and the players that leave are worshipped as gods and the players that stay are deemed wise beyond their years for staying.

• [http://espn.go.com/](link url)@RockChalkinTexas I read this too. I really think it’s down to KU and UT. I’m afraid the NBA UT player hype is pushing him to UT with Durant and Aldridge dropping 43 pts against Houston last night. Our latest AA with Portland, TRob:

7 mins, 2pts, 0-OREB, 2-DREB, 1-2, 1 TO, 2blks, 1 st, 4 PFs…BUT, TRob has been in the league 3 yrs now? Aldridge has been in the league 7 years. Aldridge got a good break when Oden was sidelined. TRob is having a terrible time finding his team to make him shine like some of these other PF.

However, there’s so much a young player needs to remember. He’s not those players and at the end of the day, he has to live with his decision. I think he’s impressionable toward UT and if Durant is smart and really cares about this kid he would tell him not to decide based on fleeting hype or past players. But, go to the program where you will be happy to play. I really think if he goes to UT it will be because of the Durant and Aldridge hype, not the right reasons. I thought he was an early KU lean which is his initial choice. He should follow his original or eariler thought at the beginning of his initial recruiting. He loved KU and was a big fan of KU, but now he’s getting some cold feet of reality. Barnes didn’t make KD or Aldridge, but they made Barnes look good. Barnes didn’t develop them much at all. Self has worked miracles by taking his PFs and Centers and preparing them for the NBA. Many of them weren’t quite ready and he truly developed them for the NBA.

• [http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/217904-78399-blazers-forward-thomas-robinson-no-complaints-about-year-2-in-the-nba](link url)@truehawk93

Great Portland story about TRob and I hope Turner will turn away from the fleeting numbers of Durant and Aldridge long enough to see the heart of TRob which will make him a great player in the long run.

• @approxinfinity Oh well, we have a pg in our future, maybe. It sounds like he’s looking elsewhere too. I’m not convinced at all that KU is all that high on his list.

• @drgnslayr

UK is going to be taller than most NBA teams…

UK lineup…

• @JayHawkFanToo And if you listen to bbn, they will be 40-0 yet again. The expectations are flying super higher than ever. They have the twins staying and 15 scholarships. The twins will have to go, one could stay, two will have to leave, or two signed recruits will be denied to the program. I don’t see one of the twins staying.

• Turner Twitter…This doesn’t help at all…I’d say based on what I’ve read and heard, Turner is all but signed to UT. I don’t understand how this could happen in such a short amount of time. Rick Barnes pulled the KD card and just trumped Bill Self.

I’ll be surprised if KU gets Turner at this point. Two things are bothering me:

Turner says on his twitter page this is the most difficult decision to make and the quote of him saying, “…hope I can go down there and do as well as Durant.”

I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get Turner. But it won’t be the end of the world. I’m not wasting anymore time following his decision either. When April 30 rolls around, it will be another day at the office for me. I’ll read later who he picks.

• @truehawk93 with my crimson and blue glasses, red pills, senior night attendance, (worked w/Wigs), big Man U reputation, Embiids advice, Durant’s respect for coach Self, how can we miss! Feel free to add to the list.

• @Crimsonorblue22 In favor of KU? I hope you’re right. Against KU, ugh…I got nothing. It’s not over till the fat lady sings and we learned that in 1988.

• @truehawk93 take the red pills! Jk!

• @Crimsonorblue22 KU and Self is way more successful than UT and Barnes. I know it’s a hard reality for him to accept, but if you want to be real successful, KU is your choice.

• Aldridge went 1-2 against KU in his two years at UT. UT finished 5th in his first year and tied for 1st with KU in his second losing to KU in the Big 12 Tournament final.

Durant went 0-2 against KU in his one year at UT, finished 3rd in the conference and lost to KU in the Big 12 Tournament final.

Aldridge and Durant are a combined 1-4 against KU; Turner is much better off playing at KU if he wants to win.

• @JayHawkFanToo perfect!

• Posted this on wrong site, I’ll try again! Maryland’s center, shaq cleare transferred to Texas, soooo he has to sit out a year, but he’s still on a scholarship, right?

• This post is deleted!

• @Crimsonorblue22 Yes, Cleare will count against their schollie count.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Yes, and now Texas has all its available scholarships taken.

• @JayHawkFanToo so what do you think??

• @JayHawkFanToo Well, if that is correct that COULD mean that UT feels or has been told they are not likely to get Turner. But, we don’t know if they believe that someone will transfer. Interesting, though.

• @Crimsonorblue22

I guess it depends on what he wants to do. If he wants immediate success, the KU is the logical destination; however, he will have to earn the position since we have several big coming back. His game is similar to to Isaiah Austin in so far as he prefers to play facing the basket and likes to shoot 3s; it could work well with Alexander down low and Turner up high.

SMU might work well for him; outstanding coaching and one of the premier play makers will also be joining a team that barely missed the tournament. He would be an immediate contributor at SMU.

I don’t believe that Texas would be a good fit for him; they have several established bigs coming back and Texas has not had the success that KU has had, even when they had superior players such as Aldridge and Durant.

• @JayHawkFanToo well that wasn’t helpful!!! Jk!

• @Crimsonorblue22

Fair enough…the stars and the Easter bunny are aligning themselves with KU, better? 🙂

• @JayHawkFanToo good one! I was wanting your gut feeling. Mine says KU. Soon!

• Just read on another site, Texas hired jai Lucas, son of John Lucas, whom Turner works out with.

• @JayHawkFanToo Barnes is not Self ; )

• @JayHawkFanToo If you read my post from another thread, I reviewed all UT’s walk-ons and scholarships. The have nine total right now.

The are signing 3, which gives them, 12.

They have room for one more, for 13.

• @truehawk93

This site keep tracks of scholarships for all teams…

Texas scholarships…

and indicates that Texas offered to Thaddeous Hall, a JuCo SF and he is expected to accept making it 13.

• @JayHawkFanToo Yea, that site is confusing. But, according to that site Thaddeous did not commit. The UT webpage doesn’t show him as ‘signed.’

If you read the column :

HS2014

Commits: 1 Jordan Barnett

Spots left: 1 PF spot open

Open offers: 1 Myles Turner is in the open spot

I understand now.