Jayhawks contend progress was made in Les Miles' 1st year in charge

• Not sure if we were better by any measurable means…

• @jhawk7782 Our record doesn’t really show it, but the last second, 2 point game AT Texas, and really about 3 other close games makes me feel like we’re definitely headed in the right direction.

If we can find a decent QB…

• Finally had the chance to pull the offensive game logs. And keep in mind, these are against a much tougher schedule in 2019 vs. 2018. CFB Reference has us playing the 24th most difficult this year, 50th last year. Just in non-con, BC>>Rutgers and Coastal>CMU. 2018 Rutgers and CMU went a combined 2-22, 2019 BC and Coastal went 10-14. Big difference.

First, to things we absolutely can control, notably penalties and penalty yards. We’re down a full penalty per game from 2018, 6.5 to 5.5, and down 5 penalty yards per game.

On offense, we’re up 26 yards per game from 2018, 351 to 377. We were more volatile this year (SD is about 40 yards higher), but the average is up. That increase wasn’t the result of running more plays either. My favorite offensive metric, yards per play, is up from 5.2 to 5.8. Points were down every so slightly, from 23.8 to 23.5. 1/3 of a point per game is basically negligible, and almost entirely due to the kicking game. Rui was great, Jones was… not.

Defense is more a mixed bag. We gave up 6 more points and 56 more yards per game, but yards/play was flat. The huge difference on that end is turnovers. Forced 2.25 per game last year, only 2/3 of one this year. I’m less worried about that metric since turnovers are very noisy (especially fumbles). Again, all this is with the caveats that we played a much tougher schedule and we lost more production off the defense than anyone in the league per Phil Steele. So take it for what it’s worth.

So overall, we made progress but we’ve got a shatload of work to do on the recruiting trail.

• @FarmerJayhawk LSU, Clemson, Alabama and Ohio St can all breathe a sigh of relief for another year or two.

• @nuleafjhawk Yup, I think the Baylor loss sealed our fate - no playoffs this season.

• nuleafjhawk said:

@FarmerJayhawk LSU, Clemson, Alabama and Ohio St can all breathe a sigh of relief for another year or two.

We’ll be fine. Not saying you’re this way, but a lot of KU fans are so in tune with basketball they think this thing can go from Beaty winning 6 games in 4 years to a bowl game overnight. It just can’t happen given what the new staff inherited.

• @FarmerJayhawk

Well, I’ve been a KU fan long enough that my football expectations are very realistic. Personally, I was very satisfied with 3 wins (should definitely have been 5 - Texas and Coastal Carolina). But I’m very hopeful for the future.

Les - find us a QB !!!

• If they can go get a higher-end transfer QB, I think you’ll see a big jump next season.

Lot of smoke for Feleipe Franks to KU.

• Who is like the anti-Carter Stanley

• Kcmatt7 said:

If they can go get a higher-end transfer QB, I think you’ll see a big jump next season.

Oh man. Pls no. Million dollar airport, $10 light tower. I guess I’d take him if we whiff on Fortin and other targets but… woof

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Kcmatt7 said:

If they can go get a higher-end transfer QB, I think you’ll see a big jump next season.

Oh man. Pls no. Million dollar airport, $10 light tower. I guess I’d take him if we whiff on Fortin and other targets but… woof

Seen him play a fair bit since he was at a high profile school and I catch a lot of CFB games. Honestly, I’d take him in a second. He’s a guy that wins you some games on his athletic ability alone. Defenses are a lot less tough in the B12.

We can’t be too picky right now. Plug him in for one year while hopefully picking up someone else.

Is Fortin eligible right away?

• BShark said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

Kcmatt7 said:

Seen him play a fair bit since he was at a high profile school and I catch a lot of CFB games. Honestly, I’d take him in a second. He’s a guy that wins you some games on his athletic ability alone. Defenses are a lot less tough in the B12.

We can’t be too picky right now. Plug him in for one year while hopefully picking up someone else.

Is Fortin eligible right away?

That’s the thing. Will he be fully healthy? That was a nasty ankle/leg injury. Trask was much better than Franks when he took over. I’m not saying no to Franks if we whiff on Fortin, but Fortin is my clear choice. He’s graduating with his AA from Hutch this month then will be immediately eligible as a JuCo transfer.

• @FarmerJayhawk Not gonna argue that, Trask is better.

I’m not sure if KU is in a position to tell Franks no to hope to get Fortin. Fortin probably has better options.

• BShark said:

@FarmerJayhawk Not gonna argue that, Trask is better.

I’m not sure if KU is in a position to tell Franks no to hope to get Fortin. Fortin probably has better options.

I can say Fortin is enamored some with the opportunity at Kansas. Almost guaranteed 3 years as a starter at a place he can become a legend just for winning 6 games per year.