NCAA News

• Ok , so I guess I’m thinking I’m even more thick/slower then what I had thought.

My question is here on this whole dam NCAA/FBI thing is this: - read this this morning. - - Gatto agreed to pay restitution for his part in paying players to KU -so he is admitting that he paid players to go to KU. 2nd: - -Gassnola testified that Coach Self knew nothing about these things , saying he didn’t tell Self about it 3rd: – These guys were found through trial that they were guilty of defrauding the University.

So if the above mentioned happened - -how could Coach Self possibly begin to know that he was playing ineligible players? - I know guess I’m just missing things - -kinda slow - -so help me out - -what am I missing? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• like it said from other site. - This can’t help the NCAA case against KU. - -

• Priceless

• @jayballer73

I think this is starting to soak in with you.

You can thank the NCAA for killing our conference streak and a possible run (of some sort) in the dance because of the threat on Silvio.

Gatto is paying because his case fits into a federal prosecutor’s snare… that’s all. He wants this to go away more than anyone.

Meanwhile… back at the ranch… Hollywood starlets are going to the big pig pen for bribing universities so their “not as capable” children receive preferential treatment.

Sometimes I wake up, and wonder if it is all just a dream… but who could dream up this frivolous existence!

• Notice that KU wanted over $1 million in restitution, and got something south of $200,000.

@jayballer73 Don’t for one second believe that Bill Self didn’t know. Oh, he maybe was shielded from the detail. I can’t conclude Self didn’t know. In fact, it seems clear the boss would have knowledge of what was going on and how players were corralled. See below on some of what was reported. I’m sure they’re just talking about good old fashioned arm twisting and convincing. I’m not going to ignore the obvious. And I’m not going to try to work to give Bill Self the benefit of the doubt. This is way too obvious.

Gassnola also asked Self to call him when he had five minutes and was alone, with the two speaking for five minutes and six seconds, per the defense. The call wasn’t wiretapped, and when Gassnola was asked whether he could remember the topic of conversation, Gassnola said that he couldn’t recall.

Gassnola also texted Self on Sept. 19, 2017 to thank Self on getting the 12-year Adidas extension completed, with Self responding that “he was happy with Adidas and wrote ‘Just got to get a couple real guys,’” according to The Star.

Gassnola’s answer: “In my mind, it’s KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad. That’s what’s right for Adidas basketball. And I know I’m right. The more you have lottery picks and you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.” Self replied by text, “That’s how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke.” Gassnola added Kentucky to that list, along with a pledge: “I promise you I got this. I have never let you down. Except Deandre. Lol. We will get it right.”

• @HighEliteMajor You’re too quick to accuse Self. I don’t believe Self and KU was on trial during the Grand Jury. It was Adidas and the judge even reminded the Grand Jury that Adidas was on trial. The Grand Jury even declared KU as the victim. All coaches are aware that some influence takes place and I doubt that Self is the only coach that talks to their shoe reps about players. Coach K had his shoe reps work overtime on Williamson. Then he cleared himself and Duke on national television as calling the Grand Jury a “blip.” Meaning, he didn’t take the investigations seriously at all. But then he corrected himself because he knew there was a slight chance his program was certainly a possible target.

• We gotta remember the role of the kids’ parents in this thing. They have brains and consciences too. They’re putting their kids’ eligibility at risk by playing the game. Sure, all parties involved are complicit, but we always let the parents off the hook. They could just end it by sending their kids to wherever they think is best for them and letting the coaches and shoe companies know. Not saying it would be easy, but neither is recruiting.

• @truehawk93 Of course, I didn’t say Self was the only one.

So, in one paragraph, I think you highlight the hypocrisy that gets floated around sometimes on this topic. You state that “all coaches” are aware of shoe companies’ influence, you day you “doubt that is Self is the only coach” involved in this stuff, you seemingly “accuse” coach K, but you react with righteous indignation related to discussions regarding coach Self. Come on.

You may or may not remember, but my biggest issue is Bill Self’s definitive statement in November where he said that he was aware of no improper benefits given to KU BB players by third parties. Unequivocal.

I suggested he might have given a much more grey statement, acknowledging the nature of the recruiting game, stating commitment to clean recruiting, etc. But when you’re unequivocal, you are out on a limb.

This is certainly all just accusation and discussion, and opinion.

Also, the judge didn’t remind the “grand jury”, he reminded the jury, that the defendants were on trial. Not Adidas. The individual defendants, Gatto, et. al. Which, of course, when they are on trial, he/she should remind the jury of that. And that is why in such a trial all the info one might have on coaches doesn’t come out, because the judge limits what is presented based on relevance and a number of other factors.

• @chriz “Sending their kids wherever they think is best for them” is funny. Eighteen year old kids aren’t super great at simply doing what they are told because an adult thinks it’s best for them. But certainly parents play an important role in recruiting and they should share praise and blame for when things work out and when they don’t.

As humans with brains and consciences they are capable just like the rest of us of making mistakes and letting money talk more than it should.