Stanford Cardinal -Saturday - 4:30 pm - ESPN

• 0_1543189215495_TomWatson-greenjacket.jpg

• I went to Stanford-UNC a couple weeks ago. Was not impressed with Stanford. Can’t imagine KU having much trouble with them. Their guards are really young, but talented. I really like Cormac Ryan.

• @wrwlumpy Singular because it is the color, not the bird.

• I watched Wisconsin-Stanford over turkey week. Badgers toyed with them basically.

• wissox said:

@jayhawkcsg We were in the SF area in 2017 and drove through the campus, after getting an in n out (meh) burger. We were interested to see the football stadium which appeared to be camouflaged in the trees. Needless to say you get to live in a beautiful part of the country. I hope you enjoy it!

In n Out Burger normally has a drive thru line down the street around here . Crazy. Good fries. Ok burger.

It is a nice place lo live!

• Stanford basically has two guys you have to worry about. Beyond that, they are probably a below average P5 team, which shows up when you see they have double digit losses to each of the P5 teams they have faced so far this year. KU should be able to follow suit and win by a comfortable margin. KU by 16.

• Where’s Michelle Wie?

• @wissox Here

• 0_1543254793250_Capture.PNG

• 0_1543254814773_collage.jpg

• This game should be beat down city. KU 85 Stanford 61. Hopefully Haase is given a fair amount of time in Palo Alto. He hasn’t done much so far but has some good young guys.

• mayjay said:

@wrwlumpy Singular because it is the color, not the bird.

The St. Louis Blues or the Cincinnati Reds might disagree with that reasoning. But Syracuse would be on board!

• @tundrahok The Blues are named after a WC Handy song, “St. Louis Blues.” The Reds are the shortened name of the original Red Stockings. Both are appropriately plural. Syracuse I don’t think about!

Stanford changed its name from “Indians” and has not had a formal mascot since. The history is kind of interesting (courtesy, Wikipedia–where else?–footnotes deleted):

Following its win over Cal in the first-ever Big Game in 1892, the color cardinal was picked as the primary color of Stanford’s athletic teams. White was adopted as a secondary color in the 1940s.

0_1543411277426_250px-Ticket_Washington_vs_Stanford_1930_side1.jpg

1930 football ticket stub depicting the Stanford Indian mascot

On November 25, 1930, following a unanimous vote by the Executive Committee for the Associated Students, the athletic department adopted the mascot “Indian.” A few months after the football team’s second straight win in the Rose Bowl in January 1972, the Indian symbol and name were dropped by President Richard Lyman, after objections from Native American students and a vote by the student senate.

From 1972 to 1981, the official nickname returned to “Cardinals,” a reference to the color, not the bird. During the 1970s, a number of suggestions were put forth as possible nicknames: Robber Barons (a sly reference to Leland Stanford’s history), Sequoias, Trees, Railroaders, Spikes, Huns and Griffins. The last suggestion gained enough momentum to prompt the university to place two griffin statues near the athletic facilities.

On November 17, 1981, school president Donald Kennedy declared that the athletic teams be represented by the color cardinal in its singular form.

Stanford has no official mascot, but the Stanford Tree, a member of the Stanford Band wearing a self-designed tree costume, appears at major Stanford sports events. The Tree is based on El Palo Alto, a redwood tree in neighboring Palo Alto that appears in the Stanford seal and athletics logo.

• I think we should call Syracuse the Oranges. Just to piss them off.

• @tundrahok They get 10-12’ (FEET) of snow per year there. Be nice - they have enough problems. Lol

• @nuleafjhawk I live in Winnipeg. I’m not sympathetic.

• @tundrahok Lol - MOVE!!

• @nuleafjhawk I lived in Orlando Florida for 9 years before moving here. I actually prefer the Canadian weather. My wife disagrees. Working up a sweat by sitting still in the living room just doesn’t appeal to me.

Winter here is like summer there. Here you go from your heated house to your heated car to your heated office. There you go from your air-conditioned house to your air-conditioned car to your air-conditioned office. Outside is just seasonally unpleasant.

At least when you’re cold you can always put on more clothes. When you’re hot, you can only get so naked.

• My daughter has several classes in high school with the #1 ranked women’s basketball recruit who committed to Stanford on Tuesday.

• wrwlumpy said:

@jayhawkcsg mn singular. Yes. I debated whether or not that was real. Like, 'Here they are, the Kansas Jayhawk."

History on that – Stanford used to be the Indians. They changed the name in the early 70s primarily in deference to Native Americans.

They simply used their color – Cardinal Red – as the name. They don’t have an official mascot, but they do have a person in a Tree suit, which is sort of a mascot.