Latest Scuttlebutt on DaSousa Please

• @dylans

Good recall on Deshawn. He had a good run, but yes, D never made it on to campus to be forced to sit.

• dylans said:

My bad not Lance (although that stuff is kinda funny - calling KSU to spite KU after Henry was signed) but DeShawn Stevenson. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeShawn_Stevenson Didn’t play a game for KU because of SAT scores being disputed by the NCAA and he just went pro straight out of HS. I was pissed.

Ah yeah, I remember this as well.

• Silvio is good enough to start this season. Let that sink in.

If he gets to play (which I expect) he’s coming off the bench unless injury (which we don’t want). It will be interesting to see what he can give us in the rotation… I’m thinking T-Rob Soph year or something like Tony Bradley gave UNC a few years back on the NC champ squad. You have a starter level player subbing in so there should be minimal drop-off overall when either Dedric or Doke leave the lineup.

Silvio is the key to post depth. He can play either forward position as we’ve seen. That makes him valuable in the rotation. I was impressed with his ability to impact the game last season. Let’s hope he gets to show off his game again this year

• @BeddieKU23 agree on all accounts. Having a starter level player as a back-up is huge. There will be match-ups where I would start him over Doke.

• @drgnslayr

You nailed it!

I’m sure KU has behind the scenes done its due diligence here. We know Silvio won’t play if there is any risk this blows back on the university. The program won’t be sacrificed so he can suit up. There’s grey area here I think regardless.

We will know our answer by November whether Self and the University plans to risk playing him. If he’s out there I will place my support behind it. If he’s sitting then that can of worms will definitely be open with speculation.

• @BShark

Certainly there are situations we may see that especially if Doke is in foul trouble (inevitable). Given he has time to acclimate himself here with a full off-season I would expect he would be the first option off the bench. Mitch is another situational type player and McCormack I just expect he’ll struggle adapting to defending at a level we would need consistently.

I hope he improves his defensive awareness and becomes more comfortable with all of KU’s sets. There’s no excuse this time around for Silvio. He had plenty of flashes as a sped-up freshman. If he’s improved both area’s he makes a formidable trio and gives Self the ability to specifically game plan for teams with Mitch/Dave

• @BeddieKU23

KU did not play Preston at a time when it desperately could have used him and I don’t see playing Silvio unless its is crystal clear he is eligible. Yes, if he does not play he would be missed, how can he not be? Fortunately, KU now has enough depth to compensate.

• @JayHawkFanToo

The situations are not the same though which I think is important to consider here. Preston was ineligible to play after KU reported his issues. KU needed the NCAA to clear him, they never did and Billy ran off.

The distinction with Silvio at least to our knowledge currently is the fact Silvio is eligible. There’s more to this story that’s being kept private to the public which I have no issue with. I know fans and media would like to know whether Silvio and KU is free and clear in the FBI case + NCAA involvement (if any). Until there’s a change in this I see Silvio playing. He’s eligible, why would KU hold back if they have nothing to hide or fear? That last part is the most important, if they hold him out I see far more issues then just Silvio. KU would be conceding that there is an issue that is being investigated and that can of worms is one I’m hoping we can avoid.

• I would be surprised if there was a problem. I think if there was, we would’ve heard something by now.

• @BeddieKU23

Preston had been declared eligible until KU found something odd about his car and reported it to the NCAA. As far as I remember, Preston was really not declared ineligible by the NCAA, in an abundance of caution KU simply chose not to play him waiting for a ruling from the NCAA which did not come and once Preston left it became moot. Same case with Alexander who was never really declared ineligible but probably would have been given enough time.

• Not sure who this DaSousa player is. Maybe he plays for the same team as Heinrich, Seldon, Frankcamp and MacLemore 🤔

• mayjay said:

@jaybate-1.0 So far, Billy hasn’t even scored this season.

—————————

You mean BP hasn’t even taken a charge for Canton in the NBA Gatorbait Intramural League?

You mean they don’t develop year round in Gatorbait Intramurals? No wait! It’s called the Gatorade League, right?

He OUGHT to play a little, when they finally roll the synthetic rubber balls out, since the wiki roster I glanced at only shows 5 players and BP is the only guy over 6-5.

TALK ABOUT A GREAT OPPORTUNITY! (Sarcasm font)

And Billy is finally going to get to really learn the game from a former Kent Stater and British pro. (Sarcasm font)

Lucky Billy! (Sarcasm font)

Billy got some terrific career advice! (Sarcasm font)

It appears tragic what happened to BP.

The summer-game-to-College-to-Pro basketball conveyor belt just keeps getting more like the fight game all the time.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@BeddieKU23

Preston had been declared eligible until KU found something odd about his car and reported it to the NCAA. As far as I remember, Preston was really not declared ineligible by the NCAA, in an abundance of caution KU simply chose not to play him waiting for a ruling from the NCAA which did not come and once Preston left it became moot. Same case with Alexander who was never really declared ineligible but probably would have been given enough time.

You noted the difference in the situations, KU self reported the issues with Preston.

• @BeddieKU23

I will guess that KU was hoping for restitution and a few games suspension vis-a-vis the car but, once the FBI investigation was uncovered, KU was blindsided by the potential extent.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@BeddieKU23

I will guess that KU was hoping for restitution and a few games suspension vis-a-vis the car but, once the FBI investigation was uncovered, KU was blindsided by the potential extent.

Absolutely, the updates provided by Self seemed optimistic. I think we talked extensively as a group about “time served” as the season went on being a sufficient suspension. The NCAA works in mysterious ways as we all know.

• @BeddieKU23

The NCAA has a well established set of rules and I will guess that privacy laws prevent them from being more forthcoming. I am sure the programs themselves get a lot more information from the NCAA than we know.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Yup KU knew what was going on but wasn’t going to fully disclose the details. For us fans it sucks but I support why there are rules in place for that kind of stuff.

• @BeddieKU23

Me too. Kids and/or the families that do not follow the well known and widely publicized rules and try to game the system have no one to blame.

The NCAA processes over 100,000 requests for certification every year and the great majority go through without a hitch since they are true student athlete that attended accredited public schools all 4 years, have good grades and graduated without any issues. The problem is with elite athletes that move from school to school, many pretty shady, and whose academic records are spotty or suspect because their primary interest was sports and not school work. Unfortunately all the attention goes to those few dozen student athletes with issues and not to the other hundred thousand that sailed through.

• @jaybate-1.0 far as I know, Silvio is gonna play. 'Course, I only know what ive read on both of the other ku sports sites. Newell seems to think he is good and so does Keegan and Tait.

• Silvio will be our best big man by seasons end, if allowed to play. He is a monster talent.

• @jaybate-1.0 he’s the absolute perfect 3rd big for this team. Can play either frontcourt spot and has a pretty diverse skill set for how big he is. Nobody else is getting a rebound when he and Dedric are on the floor at the same time. There’ll be some games where he’s the better option at the 5 than Doke.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

@jaybate-1.0 he’s the absolute perfect 3rd big for this team. Can play either frontcourt spot and has a pretty diverse skill set for how big he is. Nobody else is getting a rebound when he and Dedric are on the floor at the same time. There’ll be some games where he’s the better option at the 5 than Doke.

I’m tellin you but you already know even without me telling you - -Silvio is a specimen man they guy is built like a brick outhouse without a brick missing Mercy. – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Absolute stud. I can easily see him having a good enough year to get drafted.

• Silvio is a VERY good player, and there were times last year I thought he was more effective than Doke. Not saying he should start over Doke, but he should be the first guy off the bench, and will be great.

• In all my year of KU adulation, I have never bought a jersey. Loved Danny and Paul and Jacques and Kirk and Keith and DBlock and BMac and TRob and Frank. But no number on my back, just Jayhawks on my front. I am getting a Silvio jersey. There is just something about this kid!