David Beaty and Other Musings

• Agree on the stop arguing part.

To start a new argument, can it be a field storming when there’s less than 1000 people there to storm the field?

• @wissox We don’t actually storm the field…we scatter it. Drunkest ones go first. It’s a new technique pioneered by KU where we take about 75 fans, and all converge to the goalpost, so it looks like it’s more people. We have to make due since most people have left at halftime.

• kjayhawks said:

@KUSTEVE at this point I’m thinking the goal posts may come down after the spring game.

Will KU have enough players to do a spring game? 🤔

@wissox Well, JB called me an idiot based off a completely incorrect assumption that I did not see the loss coming. Then he keeps antagonizing while also spouting off more lies. I’ll try to drop it, but I’m not going to let insults go by unchecked if he continues. I had actually been not responding to him at all until this.

• @BShark I’ve experienced my share of unpleasantries too, I’d rather you ignore him and stay around.

• @BShark We could’ve won that game on Saturday. When Nickels gets the ball at our 25 yard line, that’s when we should’ve had one of our students wear the Nickels t-shirt…come running onto the field, and draw a 15 yard penalty. Next play, send another one. Next play, do the same thing. It’s like the Poke a Doke strategery, only use our fans to pretend to be Nickels fans to do it. By the time we get them back to their own 10 yard line, then there won’t be enough time left to score in OT, and we win. We’ve got to start thinking outside the box.

• @KUSTEVE Ha, maybe we’d have won if we’d played “nickels” university!

I drove through Thibidaux, LA where that fine institution is located once or twice. It is a school carved out of the swamp on a long meandering swampy deep bayou called Bayou Teche, a beautiful stream actually. Beautiful to look at it. If you swim in it you might get eaten!

• @KUSTEVE It’s a bold strategy, I like it!

• I think the more I think about Beaty, the madder I get. Keegan ran an article today that really pointed out some of the stupid stuff he did. I’m debating on wether Pete Carroll passing instead of using beast mode at the one was dumber than Beaty putting in Kendrick in OT to run it? I think I’d side with the latter being worse just because everyone knew it was coming, the pass probably wasn’t expected at least.

• The other was a bigger game!

• @kjayhawks I didn’t have an issue with bringing Kendrick in on that play, my issue was with the play call itself. Lining Kendrick up in a 5 wide formation just flat out telegraphed that a QB draw was coming. Had it been a different play call like a zone read or a run pass option, I think it would’ve worked much better, or at least had a much higher chance of working.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I’m generally not a fan of playing 2 qbs in general, let alone one that runs almost exclusively.

• @BShark I didn’t have an issue with using Kendrick in this game. Using him for 1 or 2 series a game isn’t a big deal to me, mainly because he and Bender do have very different skill sets. It also helped that Kendrick did pass the ball on his first series so this isn’t a case where Kendrick is coming in to run a single play. Him attempting a pass will force defenses to not 100% focus on Kendrick when he’s in. I think at least once this year, Kendrick will be in and he’ll throw one over the defense for a TD.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I agree, half it is on the oline but at that point you had to think that we weren’t going to run it effectively. I think a option play could’ve worked, that play was definitely obvious. I would’ve ran a quick hitter slant, they had trouble covering that or the option with Kendrick.

• Beaty is KU’s coach until the end of time, or the end of the program - whichever comes first. Who else is going to take the job???

• @BShark I like what OU has done. They would bring in a guy for 3rd and short and the Goal line. I think that is something that we could do and it not mess with the rhythm of the game much because everyone has a role. I do hate when teams play a QB one series and then switch the next. Throws everyone off.

• @Kcmatt7 It was stupid to use Kendrick when he did, the first time the offense had scored on 2 of its last 3 drives and Bender hit a wide open Sims in what should’ve been a TD. They were moving the ball at that point so why throw him in and in OT, everyone knew what play was gonna happen and that’s too easy to defend. My question is why didn’t he try to put him in the third quarter when the offense had gone stagnant? That I would understand, it’s like Beaty and co lack common sense of the game of football completely.

• @kjayhawks He’s out of touch with the real world.

• @BShark I would agree, the football team stinks no doubt, but it still brings in revenue to the city and university. The football program will be profitable as long as we are in the B12 with the royalties that pays.

• We’d be up a sh!t creek w/out it! Gotta get it going.

• @kjayhawks

The professor needs to do his homework. As bad a the football team is and as good as the basketball team is, last time I checked the football team brings more revenue than the basketball team.

• KUSTEVE said:

It’s pretty obvious that both of you are taking this latest loss really hard. I know when you get your hopes up, a defeat can really be discouraging. Sometimes that pain of losing can get misdirected, and you can end up treating a fellow fan like a dirty leg Missourah fan. So, I want to encourage you both to remember the good time. Not the good time(s)…nope. The good time :

———————

Actually I haven’t taken the loss hard at all. I have been surprised how much others seemed surprised and pained. As for me, I am little interested in KU football and have for a long time wished KU would withdraw from the sport to avoid brain injury risk to student athletes, at least until the reputed risks are empirically refuted at high confidence levels.

I do agree with you that some other than me have appeared to take the loss hard. Why is quite beyond me.

I am for KU withdrawing from football and finding Coach Beatty a job in athletic administration, if he would like to stay at KU. He seems like a decent person. If KU does not wish to withdraw from football, then it makes sense to me to give him a 5 year extension and let him keep trying to build up the number of scholarship players. Please, no more firing coaches for rebuilding pains.

Finally, arguments that KU needs the money from football have always seemed unsound to me since KU and KU Football are not intended to make profits, just break even. Football is a very expensive sport. The net benefit lost might be quite bearable, but for the dollars going to subsidize minor sports at levels of operation higher than their revenues justify. Obviously the thing to do is to operate the minor sports based on what the state is willing to appropriate, pull out of football, stop exposing 60-90 players to brain damage, and enjoy basketball.

Alas, the main reason for KU fielding a football team appears to be: a.) to stay a viable member of a power 5 conference for the sake of the basketball team; and b.) to keep the PETROSHOECO contract money coming that is tied to football AND hoops. The system appears to.be set up to incentivize perennial losers, like KU, to keep fielding a team in both football and basketball, regardless of the amount of head injury and arthritis risk posed to student athletes.

A tragic situation, but hardly one Coach Beatty deserves to be scapegoated for so some other greedy special interest group can impose their particular pet favorite as the next big losing KU football coach.

Rock Chalk!

• Here is an interesting read on the most critical play of the game with detailed analysis and comments from Coach Beaty.

• Agree with most of it. The next guy needs to be given a long time. But I do think we can find a decent candidate with experience.

We do need to switch to a run-first style because we will always get the 3rd tier athletes. Shortening the game is the best approach when there is a talent deficit.

QB needs to just be the most athletic guy we can find. No more grad transfers. We can find an athlete that has been looked over and wants to play QB. If you find a Todd Reesing along the way, fantastic. But your plan A needs to be a guy who can run the ball. Plan B is bringing in all the short guys you can find that can throw the hell out of a football.

I can’t wait for the Beaty experiment to end. He has the recruiting ability, just not the coaching ability. It takes a certain type of person to run an organization of 150 people with a schedule that includes long hours and a ton of travel. It takes a special person to do it successfully at a place KU though.