[Thanks for] stuff from you guys!

• Ok guys, who’s got some pictures for the site? Anything that isn’t a branded logo that we can use… several of you have mentioned they thought pics would be neat, but only @Wishawk sent me some. Send me some pics please, and I’ll see if we can fit them into the site layout.

Also, trying to come up with quotes for the Message of The Day (MOTD) can be tough - I’m short on inspiration re: content. If you guys have quotes, please throw them in this thread (link). Thanks!

• I will send some photos later today.

There is a quote I’ve seen from a poster named Al Oerter. I don’t know if that is really him, but the quote reads something like this.
    "Today under a squat rack, that is acceptable. To die in a board meeting, that is unacceptable ".

Al is an unsung hero. Too few people know this Jayhawk won the Olympic Gold medal FOUR TIMES in the discus. I read Billy Mills is getting a statue at the new track ( he won gold in the 10,000). How can we leave Al out of that kind of recognition.

• Can you post video?

I took some photos but mostly video at the scrimmage last weekend.

How do we post this stuff?

• @approxinfinity From the 2013-2014 Media Guide:

“If you’re going to be a bear, be a grizzly bear.” Hunter Mickelson

“Second-Place Winner is the First-Place Loser.” Brannen Greene

“I’ll try anything once, the good stuff twice.” Evan Manning

“Don’t worry about the mules, just load the wagon.” Tyler Self

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.” Niko Roberts, Frank Mason

• I love this quote from rockchalk.com of President Ted Roosevelt,

"Some Perspective on Being a Fan

“It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt"

• I’ve a very good friend who is a professional photographer and does work for local teams, pro, college, Metro Sports, also SI, ESPN, etc. His website is www.moffpix.com & although from Texas & a Baylor alum, is very well versed with the Jayhawk heritage. Also Jeff is a great guy, good citizen, and a dedicated Christian family man. We tried to get him for a wedding in Southbend 3 yrs ago, but regretfully was previously obligated. Also if you would just like to copy & paste great murals of sports legends, Big 8/12 conf history, KU greats, National Sports heroes, etc,. please visit www.tedwatts.org. He is without question, absolutely one of the greatest & most endeared sports artists ever, in the entire world & is still, I believe, working & living in Oswego, KS. Ted has painted all of the official Heisman portraits for the CFBHOF and I have used several of his murals as avatars through the years. his murals are displayed in Allen & on campus as well. Many fans have seen them there & may not even be aware who he is, or that he is from Kansas. What a jewel! This man will knock your socks off-he’s that great. If nothing else, please visit these sites just for personal enjoyment. PS: To no avail, I’m still hitting on Jeff for a press pass. Have been friends about 20 yrs, & he really is a super good guy. Hope this info may be useful.

Phil

• Approx… maybe you can offer up some space on your server to load photos and vids? Not everyone in here has their own net space to load their photos for linking to your site.

If you do it, you can secure it by forcing us to login to our blog account and use that as the security gate into the upload area. A method that is even smoother is to have it all seamless and be able to directly upload material to individual blogs. That may create more work for you to make it happen.

Whatever you do… make sure and have a disclosure statement to protect yourself because I’m sure some people will attempt to upload copyright-protected material that they don’t own. In those cases, if you get caught you get served a notice to remove the material. Not a big deal.

• Just took a minute to view the tedwatts.org site & there is a scroll of wonderful & amazing famous quotes available for your site on the homepage. If I remember correctly, my first screen avatar on the old kusports site was the mural of Wilt. Also have used Sayers, Ryun, Phog, & others. I’d posted this link on the old site a couple of years ago, & even jaybate (Xavier Cugat) was unaware of it. I’m not smart enough to understand all of the copyright infractions/implications, but you tech savvy guys can sort that out. Again, there are great quotes readily available, plus for your word of the day segment, there is a ton of humor available through (my fav) foxworthy’s redneck dictionary.

• Auto correct got me. “Today” should read “to die”

• “Sports is the toy department of human life.” – Howard Cosell

• “If you promise not to tell me how to coach a football team, I promise not to tell you how to paint football players.” – Lou Holtz, Arkansas football coach (1977-83)

• “Ted, this is coach Bryant. I want you to feature the kids, not me.” – Bear Bryant, Alabama football coach (1977 phone call)

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @approxinfinity-You’re are quite welcome sir. I have almost felt a sense of urgency to contribute good quality on your pages. Was not in the habit of posting that often on the old board, but feel it’s almost obligatory now to get the site up & running, or so to speak, off the ground with the approach of the season imminent. I can’t imagine the effort & time you’ve dedicated to accomplish what you’ve done with this board, in only one week, to create this forum and give our contacts & friends an outlet to be just what we are-true & through, avid Jayhawk fans. Have also been trying to be more of a rat with something to say, instead of one who has to say something. You have far greater and much more accomplished & knowledgeable contributors in dslayr, Blown, brooks, lulu, KG, HEM, & countless others and I am genuinely thrilled to be a small part of what we have created. Some of these guys have always set a high benchmark for others to strive for, and if you should ever need anything, please feel free to ask us. We are always more than happy to help in any way possible. Again, thank you for all you are doing & keep up the great work. Phil

• Here is another phenomenal link for extremely amazing photography. http://marinechic.com/

• " If at first you don’t succeed, keep on suckin’ till ya do suck seed ". Curly Howard, The Three Stooges

• @globaljaybird thanks man. It was a hectic week, but I’m relaxing a lot more now. I was pretty neurotic during the early stages of this and posted some stuff where I thought after “man, that came off wrong” like about enforcing a standard for news stories ( @parishawk ) … Those kinds of things just work themselves out… I feel like we’re there now.

• Everyones stepping up with stories ( @bskeet ), and @drgnslayr is writing his own awesome feature articles
    • Top posters have thread rights to move stuff around (thanks @baris )
    • @julian taught us how to embed pictures and helped me get drag and drop pictures turned on, so we can drop pics into replies from our computer.
    • @cj0788 wants to lead live coverage of our first game,

It just feels like everyone has more ownership now, and feeling more relaxed, and I’m relieved. Thanks for decorating this place with all the awesome posts, you guys did an amazing job making this place quickly feel like a home.

Bring on the season!

• @drgnslayr going back to your earlier post about server space, I’m assuming having set up imgur so we can drag and drop images into our posts is good enough. The caveat is that I’m not sure what sort of accessibility people outside of this forum have to those images. Typically, I wouldnt imagine anyone would want to upload images that they would care about being public here. I think we’ll be ok regarding copyright infringement, because as @edwardsdl pointed out, court cases have ruled that as long as the image isnt served by us, just linked to, its not copyright infringement.

• I’d like to suggest that anytime we embed pictures that we are not sure whether they are copyrighted we include a link to the site, and give credit where it is due. Not sure how much it will help with the possible copyright infringement, but at least it shows good will gestures.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Thanks @approxinfinity!

The complete list (same as above, just hosted elsewhere), although I don’t have flag icons integrated yet.

• @approxinfinity Do you know if I can bring a camera to Allen Fieldhouse for games? I’ve always been under the impression that you couldn’t. If I could I’d try to take some pictures at any game I have the opportunity to attend.

• @dylans I haven’t been to a game at Allen for years, but I was told once or twice I could not bring my SLR into Soldier Field and also other concerts. So I’d expect the same at Allen. Point and shoot should be no problem.

• @approxinfinity-My photographer friend Jeff Moffet, www.moffpix.com, has his pic of Tambia Hali coming out of the tunnel at Arrowhead on Sunday featured on today’s SI.com NFL power rankings article. Great shot from an even greater guy. I wasn’t woofin’ when I said he does fine work. Only downside is his mis-guided love of those Wacko Baylor Bears! If you haven’t viewed his site yet, you will enjoy it when you do.

• @globaljaybird nice pics! I was wondering, did Releford often watch people’s faces when he guarded them? I seem to recall he did, and here’s another one I found where he does. Interesting for a lock down defender… I was always told you watch people’s hips and arms. But they also told me to square my feet to the basket, and that’s antiquated…

• “You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.” Yogi Berra

• @approxinfinity-I also was taught to watch a guys’ hips, that it was almost impossible for him to fake you if you did. Also to keep your feet squarely in front of the offensive man; if you get one foot further ahead of the other & he gets past the front foot, he’s got you beat. These are fundamentals still preached today I’m pretty sure. It’s more difficult to apply these habits now with the longer, much quicker athletes in the game now. I often try to picture just how good a Havlicek, or a Billy Cunningham, or a Tom Heinson would match up with some of todays tremendous studs because of the pace & size in the game is so different. Some of the backcourt guys like the Big O, Earl the Pearl, the “Jones Boys” (Sam, KC, or Wally), Bing or Cousy would likely still be as great, & so would Wilt or Russell, but the forward position is so different now than even 25 years ago. Athletic big guys like Tisdale & Manning & Durant are really a lot greater in numbers, & has made the NBA a greater spectacle than ever IMO, but without the great, night in & night out, defense. One thing different for sure is the baffling numbers of the incredibly, butt-ugly TATS…just on one freaking person! JMO guys, certainly no offense intended.