This KU Win Over Duke and the Refs Ought to Be Dedicated to All the Teams that Have Appeared to Have Had to Play Duke AND the Refs

• drgnslayr said:

@jaybate-1.0

Our guys got beat up in this game, and Duke should have been in extreme foul trouble all game. But it only takes one call not going their way and they are in trouble.

The refs are enablers for Duke. So they count on the calls… and it only takes one call to send Duke home. Malik received that call… and so it’s bye-bye Duke!

PHOF

• @cragarhawk was self on them about the calls?

• @Crimsonorblue22

The cameras limit what we can know and in a game when no-calling in favor of Duke appeared so prevalent it would not be surprising for the cameras to minimize the protesting responses to the no-calling; that seemed to be the case yesterday. I didn’t feel I saw as much of Self yesterday as I saw of Coach K.

But more likely I suspect, is that Self probably made a decision about not protesting before the game even started. Anything we can see, Self can see and see more deeply, because its his full time job to do so. Self it appears would be aware of the kind of no-call refereeing that occurs in games Coach K coaches. No amount of protesting and shaming has appeared ever to have diminished this apparently appallingly asymmetric refereeing in the past, so perhaps Self decided: why waste time and resources to protest and shame, when it doesn’t equalize the calls downstream? Why not just accept it and focus entirely on maneuvers and tactics?

• @jaybate-1-0 So does 36.1% count as our trough? We were fortunate Duke had back to back troughs mostly due to Allen and Trent. Villanova troughed HARD against Tech. Pretty sure the next one (like all the ones before it) comes down to 3pt shooting again. The team that shoots 40% or above wins unless the other shoots 50! I wonder if Mitch will get more play vs. Nova. Not sooooo big big men that can stretch it might fit his game a little better than the last couple. Also, with guards that do some posting, Mitch could be big with the help side blocks.

• @stoptheflop Svi played by far the best defense and hit the boards more than I have ever seen from him. I think his shooting was a little below par just from having tired legs (evidenced by being short on several) dealing with a much bigger player in Bagley, but he got the most important shot down.

• @jaybate-1.0 You are absolutely correct. TEAM win! Everyone contributed. Every contribution was critical to the win. Malik’s 32 points. Silvio’s hustle. Vick’s timely shots. Devonte’s poise and calming influence. However, my MVP for this game is Svi. 10 boards!? And that defense against a bigger and more athletic Bagley!? Tremendous effort. Svi played a man’s game yesterday and it was a pleasure to watch.

• @Crimsonorblue22 he did get in the refs ear a couple times. But for the most part he was just a smooth operator… Like he knew in his heart he had outschemed coach K and was gonna be happy with any ending that came about. Execution by the team was huge. Scheme all ya want of ya can’t get guys to believe and execute it will never work. Incredible job by the Coach and team. What an unbelievably fun game to be at.

• @Crimsonorblue22

I seem to recall that Tait tweeted that Coach Self was laughing at the refs???

• @jaybate-1-0 Referring to your morphing zone comments, at one point it looked like they were playing a box and one where Allen was simply chasing the ball. It was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen. Hard to say whether the freshmen were out of position and he was just trying to cover for them or if that was the actual plan. It seemed somewhat planned as he slipped into the middle to take away the soft spot at the free throw line. But then he would just chase the ball for a while, which against KU is an ambitious task.

Totally agree about this being a TEAM now led by Self and Graham. Seemed like Vick had a lot of responsibility in trying to find those soft spots that were ALWAYS in different spots every time down the floor.

However, I did see a tweet from Quincy Acy about how he’d seen that play after the break that freed Silvio for the easy layup for four years vs. KU. He laughed that it was Tyshaun to T Rob for 4 years against the Waco zone! Rus Rob was also a great follow during the game. Awesome to see the passion for his old team mixed with the insider knowledge he has of Self and his systems.

• @cragarhawk heading south?

• @Crimsonorblue22 geez. I’d love to. But the $$. And can I imagine topping the atmosphere and the game I saw last night live? Idk…

I did promise after 2012 I wasnt missing the next time they make the title. I still blame @kjayhawks that we lost that one cause we didn’t go… And my bag was packed and in the truck…

So I plan to keep my word. If they make the NC game. I can’t break that

• Not to mention the fact that I’m so damn proud of this team. I can’t even describe it really. Really didn’t know if the 2012 lil Jayhawk engine that could would ever be topped in my lifetime. But I have this team right there. Maybe a slight edge. We’ll see how it goes in San Antonio

I should expand on this a lil I guess. It’s a matter of talent vs achievement. I believe the 2012 team to have been more talented than this roster currently overall. Yes minus Teahan. Although he played his part well.

We talk about ceilings all the time and I have this team on the roof right now and you know what. They may damn well be just about to take flight and say to hell with the ceiling and roof and all the rest of it. And if not. It doesn’t matter. Expectations met, surpassed, and then some icing on top to boot.

Self is absolutely correct. All they can do now is add to it

• @cragarhawk @Crimsonorblue22 I was looking at tickets and all I could find were $400 a piece. Yikes. I bought some a few years ago when they were in Dallas for $150 each but had to sell them when we lost in the elite 8. I was too superstitious to buy them again this year! I’m in Austin so it’d be a short drive but man it’s pricey. And we really need a new couch so that might win out on the finances.

• @benshawks08 to heck w/a couch!

• @Jayhawk-in-OKC

Thanks for focusing on Svi’s rebounding. We outrebounded Duke by a wide margin.

I’m so sick of hearing all the cr@p about it taking massive size (height and girth) to rebound well.

All we really need to do to claim the trophy this year is have everyone hitting those boards!

Svi was fantastic!

• @benshawks08 I believe Duke played a 1-3-1 zone for a few minutes which left Allen covering both wings at the baseline. KU carved it up pretty well and they got out of it after a couple of threes. Moving the ball quickly from side to side makes it impossible for the low man to cover.

• @Barney The time I’m thinking about wasn’t 1-3-1. I watched Allen follow Vick from the top left wing, through the pain to the other side almost all the way to the corner, then chase the ball across the arc as it swung the other way. Maybe he just got way out of position trying to keep the ball out of the lane, but it was the oddest defense I’ve ever seen. KU got the shot they wanted all day because they moved the ball and didn’t rush. Turnovers and missed open looks are the only reason it was close.

• @JayHawkFanToo Tait’s tweet: Self just laughing at the calls now… Seems like the officials do owe #KUbball one or two. Gotta force their hand, though. 57-55, KU, 10:30 to play. 5 replies 27 retweets 74 likes Reply 5 Retweet 27 Like 74

• @benshawks08 My experience when I lived in Baton Rouge in 2012. I couldn’t afford the tickets but I knew someone at the semis. I said if we beat OSU find some sad sack buckeye fan or Louisville fan and offer them 100 bucks. He got me two tickets for a 100 bucks. I would guess most fans will sell through stubhub these days, but generally championship game tickets are relatively affordable. I would think if Loyola beats Michigan there will be even a larger sell off of tickets as Michigan fans travel well. Unfortunately (at least for this week) I don’t live in the south anymore and can’t be tempted to drive over to SA if KU makes the finals! Good luck!

• Boy there was one sequence early in the 2nd half. Duke tried to steal from De Sousa who I think slipped a bit too, and there were about 6 Duke hands in there poking scratching, clawing, grabbing. The play lasted about 10 seconds and the ball finally squirts free to Duke, and I think I saw K give a thumbs up to the referee. OK, I made that last part up.

• @cragarhawk I’ll blame you if the title doesn’t reside in Lawrence this season.

• 0_1522107783392_DA1D4C0F-EA63-427B-9B55-2ED19BC4AE1A.jpeg

https://www.primesport.com/d/ncaa-mens-final-four?national-championship

Cheaper than Stubhub currently.

When KU gets thru ‘Nova I’m packing my bags and hauling keister 10 hours south to watch the ‘Ship. I’m not missing another opportunity to be there, even if it’s the cheap seats!

• @drgnslayr I think you nailed it. It’s all about "want to ".

• @KUSTEVE

Yes… and didn’t we prove it in this Duke game? They had us on size and we clearly dominated the boards.

I won’t even go off on my Charles Barkley soap box! 😉

• For anyone interested in knowing, our nosebleed seats in the Superdome weren’t terrible. I thought I might watch the action on the screen, but my eyes were drawn to the court.