ok Big 12 / SEC challenge

• Today was just a sneak peak of the tourney. 🤢

• @DCHawker

Florida and Tennessee are the #2 and #3 teams in the SEC while ISU and Baylor are the bottom 2 teams in the Big 12 so not necessarily unexpected. WVU, OU an TCU should have won. Disappointing show by the conference to say the least.

• The SEC gets its first win in the 5 year history of the challenge and in a year where arguably their best team in Auburn didn’t even play. Not looking good for the little 12 once again.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@DCHawker

Florida and Tennessee are the #2 and #3 teams in the SEC while ISU and Baylor are the bottom 2 teams in the Big 12 so not necessarily unexpected. WVU, OU an TCU should have won. Disappointing show by the conference to say the least.

I was trying to drive this point home earlier about Tennessee. If Tennessee was a traditional power they would be ranked higher right now imo.

• Has Huggins lost his team? Or are they just tired? Pressing all the time taking it’s toll? I mean. I know they’ll be ready and give us a run or beat us in our building cause that’s the way of things… But what’s up with them. They were so hot just a few games ago.

• cragarhawk said:

Has Huggins lost his team? Or are they just tired? Pressing all the time taking it’s toll? I mean. I know they’ll be ready and give us a run or beat us in our building cause that’s the way of things… But what’s up with them. They were so hot just a few games ago.

They just got smothered by UK’s lengthy athletes in the 2nd half. Once UK stopped turning it over (so, their own mistakes) they basically took control. Took some wild shots for WVU to stay in it. UK will be a tough out in the NCAAT for anyone.

• @BShark not saying you’re wrong. I was looking deeper than just today’s game though. They don’t seem to be what they did just a couple weeks ago honestly.

• @DCHawker you’re not wrong. We’ve all seen it happen on an annual basis. There’s no reason to believe this year is any different. All the numbers and the ratings and yada yada. We see it’s all talk when nobody really walks the walk after weekend 1 largely. Ratings and numbers don’t earn respect. Post season wins do. It’s gonna take an improvement in that area before anyone really believes the lil10 is the top conference.

• @cragarhawk Imo WVU’s system marginalizes talent. They played 11 guys today. They foul it up. It helps them hang with more talented teams but it also imo prevents them from ever being elite.

• Well, the Big 12 didn’t show - -stand up much today. - - - We did our part , - - Texas surprised but the margin a little bit , K-State is going strong , & Texas Tech managed to pull it out.

Baylor continued to look like warmed over dog doo , I still say Iowa state is not that good - - ya , I know they played us tough but who hasn’t , I mean 45 points for a game - that’s not going to win you much.

Oklahoma State played a little better then I thought they might considering they were without Shine and another key player had a perfect chance to win on their final shots.

West Virginia - -really struggles on the offensive end - to much damn one on one dribbling everyone just standing around. - -Carter a lot of times just dribbles at the top of the key , shot clock gets to low before they try and get in any kind of offense and then a lot of the time they have to force, - just not good offense.

So with that behind us , now time to get bad to the real matters at hand - -Big 12 race , we have a huge game Monday, I’m not gonna predict a win for sure, gonna be really hard the way squeak’s boys are playing right now. Hell they actually seem to be playing BETTER since stokes has been out. - -Got to strap it up , another rough game in the Big 12.

Yes of course now we get to hear the rest of the year how the Big 12 is over rated once again , from every other fan base – -probably right. I’m not to sure but what K-State might not crack the top 25 this week - like 23-25th - -time to roll. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @BShark @JayHawkFanToo ISU and Baylor losses not unexpected - they lost to 2 of the better teams in the SEC. But, when have we won by more than 20 at Hilton?

Did the B12 really get any good wins out of this? KSU had to come back to edge an average UGA team at home. KU should have won at AFH. TX beat a second tier at best team at home. TTU was a solid win against a decent SC team, but that was still #14 against unranked. 2 of the best 4 B12 teams lost, one on the road the other at home.

The SEC is better and deeper than in year’s past, but still…

• I think people confuse the big 12 being the best conference with it being the most competitive conference, which since it’s been at 10 teams I believe to be fairly accurate.

• @DCHawker You won’t find me defending the B12 today. I’m just not surprised. I thought people who were thinking WVU would wax UK were nuts.

• @DCHawker

I don’t agree. Teams always play League rivals tough. KU always gets the best game of the season from all the other Big 12 teams, likewise, UK tends to get the best of other SEC teams and just lost to South Carolina, a game it had no business losing and it also lost to Florida and Tennessee. Regardless of how bad ISU is, it will always give KU a tough game, particularly at Hilton, and so will KSU.

• How did WVU lose? When I saw halftime score, I’d banked it in the W column.

• kjayhawks said:

I think people confuse the big 12 being the best conference with it being the most competitive conference, which since it’s been at 10 teams I believe to be fairly accurate.

This is exactly right. Perfect way to explain it.

We’ll see what March brings, which is the only true measure of national power.

• @JayHawkFanToo I’m not sure what you are disagreeing with? I agree that league rivalry games will tend to be tighter, not so much because teams “get up” for KU (or UK), but because of familiarity - they know our schemes so well and can better disrupt offensive sets.

The issue is how B12 teams perform against better teams when they don’t know their tendencies. Tennessee is a better team than ISU this year. But to lose by 20+ at home, esp. after being up by 8 early in the game?

But it goes beyond ISU yesterday. The fact is the B12’s wins all came against teams in the bottom half of the oft derided SEC (not a one with a winning record in the conference). We couldn’t get a win against any of the top half, and didn’t have to play Auburn, which leads the conference now.

Again, I hope I’m wrong, but I fear this signals another crash and burn by the conference in the tournament. Good coaches across the conference, but simply not enough depth of talent to succeed against the top half of at least the ACC teams, and perhaps the SEC, P12 (we lost to 2 mid-tier P12 teams), BE and B10.

How many wins does the B12 have against teams that have any realistic shot at the FF (even the E8) - I would say just 2 - UVA and UK. Until conference teams regularly schedule and demonstrate they can win regularly against the best teams from the other power conferences, I expect it will be rinse and repeat…

• Well kind of hate to say it, but - -came pretty damn close as to how these match ups would tur out. - -went 7-3 , missed on the Oklahoma game , missed the TCU game - -& missed the South Carolina game. - -Like others have said it really does look as thought every year the Big 12 gets all the hype about being the toughest conference and then - - -we get things like this -we see how it plays out in the tourney so day we are going to have to back up the talk. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• As others have said, yesterday was a preview of what will happen a month and a half from now. Every team in the Big 12 gets up to play us but as we have seen, each is more than capable of laying an egg. OU from yesterday is a great example.

All I really care about though is how well KU does. If Tech flops in the first round, I dont really care that much.

• BShark said:

@DCHawker You won’t find me defending the B12 today. I’m just not surprised. I thought people who were thinking WVU would wax UK were nuts.

ya, not me. I didn’t think WV was gonna win this game - -I had Kentucky picked - -WV goes through to long of droughts where their offense sucks. - Carter just stands out top and dribbles then the shot clock runs down to where it is to short and they have to force things. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @CRH107 I am going to the ou, Texas and w Virginia games. Watching the game at home and gotta shout out the announcers! How refreshing. Guys that were respectful of AFH! Took a pic of my g daughter w/holly after game. If you haven’t heard her story, look it up, impressive! Not talking cancer, but her start in sports. It was a great day to be a Jayhawk! Hoping for a repeat tomorrow!

• @Crimsonorblue22 I’m covering for you at the OSU game next saturday!

• Bracketology has 7 Big 12 teams and KU with a #1 seed.

Interesting write up on the NCAA web site about the Conference.

• Looks like Mizzou will be one player short, PG Terrence Phillips indefinitely suspended.

• @JayHawkFanToo Great share, thanks.

I liked the Graham interview.

I liked Jevon Carters non-answer to what its like to play for Huggins “Pause. More pause. Well, uh, you know, main thing playing for a legendary coach, I couldn’t pass that up. I wasn’t highly recruited coming out of high school, I couldn’t pass that up.”

I liked the Graham interview.

And lastly, I liked this line from the article as I’ve wondered about the same thing: “The various computer power ratings love the Big 12. So as the conference of fickle fate recommences, here’s what you wonder: Are the recent scores reflective of teams starting to show flaws, or the inevitable bleeding when you go swimming with sharks?”

When the other B12 teams do their early exits every year from the dance, is it because our conference isn’t as good as people think it is, or because they’re all bleeding? Combo maybe?