A Perfect Tension

• @nwhawkfan: I shall keep a stiff upper for us both, then, when ever I partake in irreverent doggerel about the Madame Chancellor, nee CBernie, sir! Good day. 🙂

• @jaybate 1.0 Thanks for the kind words. It’s been a lot of fun and educational, and I think it’s made me exercise some social skills that were a little rusty.

One thing I have to do - Can’t seem to @ you (it appears to be tagging the person who originally took the jaybate moniker here). I’ll have to figure out what we can do about this, as the @ feature makes it easy for you to follow conversations here

• @HighEliteMajor: I agree we have a problem with trey shooting for sure. But the convergence of all the bigs into guys capable of producing to one degree or another, rather than having still-born line scores, especially, Embiid, means Self really can start taking it inside and making them stop KU inside. This development means that Self’s long list of trifectates are increasingly going to be shooting open looks right at the line. Self apparently believes Selden, Wiggins, Greene, White and Frankamp can all make shots from the Planet Trinitron and that shooters come around whenever they come around. He apparently thinks the best thing he can do for them is to go to a power game, where none of them feel like they have to make shots to win; they just have to take wide open looks without even really jumping very hard. This will likely allow the shooters to grow their juevos back. Or so it seems to me.

• Welcome home Jaybate. Now if Oakville would just pay a visit the site would be truly complete.

Here’s looking forward to your unique and often educational basketball posts. The X’s and O’s thrill me and the conspiracy theories entertain me in the summer. Thanks for all the good reads and here’s looking forward to more!

• I don’t think we have a problem at 3. Our last couple of games we’ve run an offense feeding the post and our 3-FG% is about 36%. Throw out the shot by Evan Manning in the last game and it was 38.5%. Not blistering, but give it some time. The first step is to establish post play.

As we settle in to a steady offense based on feeding the post, our perimeter shooting will come around. It takes a while to settle in to this offense, especially from the perimeter. These guys will start understanding where exactly they need to run their spacing to the defense (for example).

We’ve got too many good options at 3 to not shoot a respectable %. They should actually shoot better from receiving passes out of the post then from side-to-side. It sets the shooter up for an easier motion when he receives the ball out of the post. Before the last couple of games most of our 3-pt attempts came from side-to-side passes. It’s a tougher shot because the shooter has to swivel after having caught the pass to then get up the shot. Plus, the release is quicker when the shooter doesn’t have to swivel.

I’m betting sometime soon, like early in conference play, we get the outside shooting touch down. It makes no sense that we have all these great perimeter guns and none of them are shooting it well from 3. There has to be an explanation, and I’m betting it was mechanical and will largely go away as we develop offense running out of the post.

• @wrwlumpy: same to you, wrw, and that is one awesome jpeg!!!

• @AsadZ: Good to hear from you. I don’t know if I will be able to resume paintographing, or not.

• @drgnslayr: I hope board rats here appreciate what you have been giving especially the last few weeks. There have been times recently, when you seemed to pick this web site up on your back and carry it for days at a time. Talk about manning up. As I told HEM above, you and he are the starters now. I am just a reserve. For everyone else that reads this, I want everyone to know far slayr has come as a writer. He always knew the game better than most everyone else, because he played it here,and lived it overseas, but he was for a long time hesitant to go ahead and find his voice. Work obligations and a touch of doubt about whether finding his own writing voice was worth the inevitable struggle it required to find it made him deliberate early on. But it has been a particular and remarkable joy to to watch his tenacity and success in finding it. Like HEM, slayr’s become a writer here. Its been great fun watching him become a ripping good read. Rock Chalk, slayr. You did it.

• @jaybate 1.0 Second that. Thanks for manning up @drgnslayr – without its sparkplugs this car wouldn’t move. Your color commentating gets us fired up consistently.

• @jaybate and @approxinfinity - Thanks for the kind words. Yes… I kind of felt an obligation to try and keep things going. I sure am glad you are back! I appreciate your words, but I can’t hold a candle to your talents! I’ll always do what I can, but I’m probably reaching my plateau on the upside. I’m happy to share the load with a real 5-star writer!

Rock Chalk coming back to you JB!

And if you would like some health discussion… please message me. I’m not a doctor and don’t practice medicine, but I study nutrition and health through non-pharmacological methods. It became a necessity for my own health concerns over the years. All I can say is I went from being a broken-down old guy to a sprite old guy! ha… But seriously, nutrition knowledge is advancing faster than pharmacology these days. Unfortunately, there isn’t the big bucks in home remedies, gardening and fermentation practices. That doesn’t mean you can’t find a quality lifestyle that will keep you healthy at the same time! It’s out there!

• @jaybate 1.0 Well, well, well…and ahHA! An early Christmas gift unpackaged for all of us here at this best new alternate LJW site. Welcome back, jb! I had lost interest in posting, primarily due to your absence, I now think. Perhaps I can re-energize. Best of all good health to you this Holiday Season and beyond. Please keep the words flowing. You da king!

• “There are recurring themes and form languages. Stops start offense. Sticking stops offense. Offense is inside out. Feeding bigs is crucial. Kicking out to open looks follows feeding bigs like day follows night. Making shots, not taking shots, is the goal.”

I can’t express how much I missed reading passages like this!

• @drgnslayr Slayr, I felt from the getgo that our 3 pt. shooting would save the flag on more than a few campaigns this season. The percentages have been alarming, to date; but I still feel certain that we will see this squad reap the benefit of points aplenty from beyond the arc sooner or later. Your discussion here sounds encouraging: outside shooters beginning to receive more passes, straight on from the post, so that their motion is more dead-on, esp. at this stage when they are struggling to settle into proven form. The General and his troops are now beginning to find unison in adherence to very basic and productive Self-ball. I feel confident that other skills will soon fall into place. One thing now appears very certain: considering that 7 Big 12 teams this week are rated among the Top 28 Division 1 squads, Bill Self’s entire array of young talent will be challenged weekly to step up to the plate with lively bats. Our longrange hitters had best prepare the pine tar in royal George Brett style! And soon…

• Thanks for the kind words @jaybate 1.0. Sorry for your recent losses and I hope you are healing well from your own ailments.

• I decided to look at the numbers a bit. My impression during the first 11 games of this season is that three point shooting has been our Achilles’ heel. Not just percentage, but also the low volume of threes. So I thought I’d go to the stats that matter, those of NCAA Champions, to see where this version of Jayhawks stack up as far as three point baskets per game.

I looked at the last 12 NCAA Champions. Not surprisingly, the 2013-14 Jayhawks are well behind national title pace. This year’s Jayhawks have made 4.90 three point shots per game (54 in 11 games).

In the last 12 seasons, no NCAA title winner has made less than 5.31 per game, which was the low (Syracuse in 2003). The rates per game – 2013 Louisville 5.75; 2012 Kentucky 5.61; 2011 UConn 5.87; 2010 Duke 7.58; 2009 North Carolina 6.94; 2008 Kansas 6.77; 2007 Florida 7.42; 2006 Florida 7.41; 2005 North Carolina 7.48; 2004 UConn 6.38; 2003 Syracuse 5.31; and 2002 Maryland 6.02.

The average three pointers made per game by NCAA title winners was 6.54 over that 12 year stretch. Again, KU is now at 4.90 three pointers made per game.

This stat isn’t the definitive guide to winning a title. It’s just a piece of the puzzle. But my impression has been that we don’t have an excellent three point shooter logging regular minutes. We might have some decent ones, but no “excellent” shooters.

Our three point percentage is low, too, at 32.1%. No NCAA title winner has shot the three that poorly. But there are three that were in that ballpark. Louisville at 33.3% last season, UConn in 2010 shot 32.9%, and Syracuse was 34.4% in 2003.

But our threes made per game is significantly behind where we need to be. I have suggested that we can’t shoot threes at our current rate and compete for a national championship. We have to be able to keep up with teams that may get hot for stretches. I’m just not sure that the shooters we are playing as part of the rotation can pick up the pace.

But I do see three on the bench that might fit the bill … I’m just not sure any of the three are fit for Bill.

****As an aside, a completely startling stat – Syracuse in 2003 had three shooters account for 527 of their 540 three point attempts. That is really amazing. The rest of the team shot a total of 13 threes.

• My condolences for your recent losses, @jaybate .

Solid post, @HighEliteMajor . Really excellent to bring in some stats, especially comparing NC winners with this team.

I’m not really certain what we can do specifically to resolve the dilemma you mention. Frankamp is the gold-standard of shooting proficiency from afar… and his average seems to be one of the lower averages from our options.

I think part of our issue is that our stud shooters are only freshmen… except Tharpe. It kind of makes me think they all just need time and court time to work it out.

But really… before these last couple of games did we have any apparent set offense? In all our early games I thought it just looked like a bunch of freshmen running around trying to get open. I saw no deliberate strategy of attack.

I can’t help but think that having a well-run offense will also help our perimeter shooting percentages. It just makes sense that having all these great shooters with low percentages points to other issues besides their own personal talents.

If we get through half of conference play and can’t win at a better clip than now… I’ll start worrying.

I believe our strong post play with help open up the outside game… especially when considering that there aren’t so many great post teams out there.

• @jaybate Thank YOU for your kind words! I’ve read your stuff for so long that it’s been fun to actually interact w you and everyone for that matter. Jesse’s live blog is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!!! I never posted on kusports game blog cuz I thought it would detract from the game…now I hate missing it.

Who else is still MIA? Oakville, NostraDavid, who else?

• Welcome back @jaybate. From where I stand (sit), it seems as though all this talk of basketball and sports in general should be meaningless. It’s not. I don’t know your personal trials and tribulations, but during some of my own dark times, reading and interacting with the kusports folks and now the kubuckets clan has really picked up my spirits and helped to get me through the day.

Generally speaking, I prefer a short story or a one liner to a novel, so I sometimes feel that I don’t know you as well as some of the others, but I’m glad you’re back. I’m sorry for whatever losses you have endured and I hope you are well on your way to a full and speedy recovery from your own ailments.

God bless and welcome to our new team !!

• @nuleafjhawk Great to hear from you, nu.

• @HighEliteMajor: I wonder, if increased foul calling will reduce the number of 3pt shots taken, increase the number of 2pt shots with a FT, reduce the significance of trey shooting. Self already seems to be redistributing attempts this way. The good FT shooting big, or slasher, is the new trifectate.

• @REHawk: Coach, man am I glad to hear from you!!! Don’t u dare stop sharing your knowledge and experience. U R THE REAL DEAL.

• @jaybate 1.0 I rarely comment on the boards, but I read everything by everyone. And when I reached you’re second paragraph, I had to look up and check to see if it was really you. My first thought was how happy this would make so many people on here and the timing was great. Thank you.

I do not know you, and that’s ok, cause I much prefer to use my imagination when reading the posts by everyone. For some reason, I envision you as a cross between Winston Churchill and “The most interesting man in the world” guy. And I like that. Thank you.

I’ve always loved your take on the subjects discussed and the thoughts you provoke, and will never forget how masterful you can be when shucking down a would-be antagonist. Approx, I think you’ve just rounded out your class with this kid. Thank you and Merry Christmas to everyone.

• @jaybate 1.0-Surely it does seem on occasions as if we may have broken the same bread or chewed some of the same turf. Quite simply though, I am oft electrified by your mastery & poetic “paintography” of, not only our passion & fury for Jayhawk athletics, but the cogency of your analogies to the life narratives of those of us who enjoy, apprehend, and share your thoughts. And certainly no apologies are needed for silence. It is sometimes more convincingly golden at times than the spoken word & I instinctively knew something was definitely awry on a personal or professional accord. The most disappointing aspect of the facegate scandalization fiasco at LJW to me, was that they knowingly & willingly tossed out the ones that truly enamored that site as a daily & sometimes hourly destination for those of us with that passion for knowledge & enlightenment nurtured decades prior to the technical age of today. As you well understand, back when the Kansas City Times lay on the dewy morning grass and the huge mahogany Hoffman short wave was the true connection to the world as we knew it. I do believe that one of your most nostalgic last posts on kusports about Municipal Auditorium & crooked old Mayor Pendergast was my favorite of any through the years, and then suddenly, LJW just threw the baby out with the bathwater. I took that very personal & not as a valid business decision. Anyway, welcome back old friend. Several times I posted that we would leave on the porch light and we’re thrilled you followed the beacon back home. And even if it’s no longer politically correct, I would like to wish a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to you & all of our fellow board rats inherit with the fervor for KUBB.

• @jaybate 1.0 Definitely missed Jaybate basketball prose.

• @jaybate 1.0 It is great to see you back. I have been a silence follower of all the great posters. It is now complete with your return.