KU ROSTER 2026-27
-
Incorrect neither signed a pro deal and there was nothing in the rules regarding playing summer league. Its still a mess. But id say the chances of either returning are low, perhaps Council having a better shot since his hearing is next week and White to current date has not joined a lawsuit for his case
-
No he is okay, he is however listed as Jr eligibility wise under the new crapshoot
-
KState is paying NIL of $2 million to QB Avery; other Big 12 teams pay this amount or more too. Why didn't KU use $ 2 million of its estimated 2026 $ 20 million NIL/Revenue Sharing funds to bring in a QB? We do this in basketball, so why isn't the higher revenue generating sport bringing in more talent? A new stadium without a competitive team seems like a waste. I'm sorry for being so negative this morning, but Cole Ballard is a former walk on and Marshall has barely gotten on the field his first years here. Oh well, I'll still watch and hope for the best.
-
@stoptheflop We will see. If Zeke Marshall turns out to be good then we will look smart for saving $2 million. Personally, I would like for us to use our money to secure dominant offensive and defensive lines.
-
A KU football discussion in a basketball roster thread! The times are a changin’?
-
@stoptheflop we spend more RevShare on basketball than any other Big 12 school, so there just isn’t the money available to get a $2m QB and acquire the talent required to compete in the league.
-
Council's lawsuit is progressing in NY after he refiled there. September 23rd seems to be an important date for him. Note he is enrolled at KU which is never a bad sign if things do go his way.
Interesting that former Rutgers Center Emmanuel Ogbole apparently KU filed or helped him file an eligibility waiver on his behalf in NY. Former teammate of Council while they were at Monroe College years back. His case sounds a bit interesting.
Think the Tre White possibility is over.
-
We are approaching the deadline for adding classes this semester. Athletes need to be enrolled to qualify. If not enrolled, they will not qualify to play until possibly the spring semester. There has been talk that if Council gets status to play another year he might go to another school. I find that unlikely if he's already enrolled here and not somewhere else. This is just my opinion... do any of you have more info or can challenge what I'm saying here?
-
Where's Tre?
-
Saw a picture of him on Twitter today in the Miami Heat team camp photo
-
Very likely he will be at KU if eligible.
I want it to happen badly because this team desperately needs him.
It's hard to think that its September and the season trajectory of this team is heavily weighted to this decision.
-
Council is in the portal but I think that is just a contingency plan for if he is given eligibility but KU has its roster filled.
I have mixed feelings about whether Council should be deemed eligible or not. But it would be hypocrisy that only the NCAA is capable of if they deem him ineligible after some of the decisions they've made the past couple of weeks.
-
@BeddieKU23 said in KU ROSTER 2026-27:
Very likely he will be at KU if eligible.
I want it to happen badly because this team desperately needs him.
It's hard to think that its September and the season trajectory of this team is heavily weighted to this decision.
OK, i'm prepared for the down votes ... but say what now?
The trajectory of this year's team is heavily weighted to Melvin??? C'mon.
i had a long rant below, but decided on a kinder, gentler approach

-
Council is the 2nd best player on the team if he is able to return. I'd say that's good enough to have a significant influence on what this team could be with him here again. I'm not sure we have enough ball handling, leadership or playmaking ability without him. There's potential for sure with several but there's a lot of things that need to go well for a team without Melvin to be successful.
Perhaps I have a slightly biased opinion on Melvin. He was fantastic imo and an easy player to root for. He seemed to cherish being a Jayhawk and players like that don't come around often anymore. I want guys like that back and he can have a major impact on the team
-
if Melvin is potentially our second best player, we’re in a world of hurt. You want a repeat of last year? I sure as F do not. He seems likable and passionate enough, sure, but I’d like some new blood on the roster.
-
Would Melvin be taking the spot of a better, younger player? I don’t think so, but educate me if I’m wrong. Apart from his skills, he very works hard and would set a great tone for all the new additions. I’d love to have him.
-
They did bring in Kinney from the HS ranks at the position and paid him a fairly large NIL for the #20 overall player. The chatter that i had seen on him so far at KU was mixed, suggesting he may not be ready to carry such a role under Self in year 1. He's a talented player though.
I think his camp would probably be really upset if Council came in. I'm sure they are already given Council's case is in limbo still -
I don't want a repeat of the last several years to be clear.
The roster is brand new outside 2nd year returnees Mbiya and Rosario so I guess I don't understand the new blood remark when 85% of the roster is brand new. Be careful what you wish for as well with this new group. There's potential but not a lot of certainties.Is your comment more directed at Council and the lack of shooting efficiency or something else specific to him at the PG position? He did struggle in the last few weeks of the season and that's something that can be hard to overlook. He also played a ton of minutes (100 more then anyone else). With the injuries to Peterson, Jackson & Dawson that seemed to put even more on Melvin's plate that ultimately wore him down.
KU currently only has 2 ball handlers on the team. A freshman and a Soph making the jump up in level from Toledo. There's been a lot of talk of Stokes being a facilitator as well due to his skills and lack of other options. If we can add Council to the mix you're solidifying the position from a lot of things.
Returning a starter with a ton of experience who knows the system and can lead sounds like a good thing to me
-
We do really need a ball handler. This will show up big time by March without depth in that area. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised by someone developing into that role where we weren't counting on it. As of now, I see Stokes having to handle the ball too much. Typically, I'd panic because I know that means we are asking him to do so much... especially for a freshman. He is likely to get worn down as the season progresses. He's a gifted, tough athlete with tough alpha mentality, but he hasn't played a year in the B12. It's a rough conference.
I'm still hopeful we will clear and bring on at least one guy that can make a difference. D1 is such a mess. Time is of the essence now and you have to watch to see who is enrolled in classes and who isn't.
-
@HoraceZontal said in KU ROSTER 2026-27:
Would Melvin be taking the spot of a better, younger player? I don’t think so, but educate me if I’m wrong. Apart from his skills, he very works hard and would set a great tone for all the new additions. I’d love to have him.
The problem is the younger players aren’t sticking around after year one or two. Look at Flory and his improvement from year 1 to 2. That’s the whole issue with Self struggling in this new age of college athletics. Self is at his best getting guys to buy in and develop them. Our best teams have been made up of mostly upperclassmen that were here for years. Now you work with a guy for a year or two and he gets a big bag to go elsewhere. It’s almost foolish to buy in to a guy thinking he’ll be here for 4 years anymore. Hope one or two guy will and the rest you have to recruit from the portal or as OADs.