Roy

• What are your thoughts on why Roy Williams was able to win 3 championships at UNC and none at KU? Was/is it harder to get recruits? Has the seeding been unfavorable? Did he get better at coaching? Was the ACC significantly better than the Big12 as to better prepare teams?

Recently the Big12 has been much more competitive with 2 championships in 3 years and a 3rd possible this season. Did the level of competition drag KU down during the Williams era, was it his recruiting style (all his classes hinged on one player signing first) or is there some other underlying issue he was able to right on Chappell Hill?

It seems there are some roadblocks at Kansas that aren’t experienced at UNC, I’m just not sure what the biggest hurdle is.

• This will sound kind of lame, but I think it was just bad luck. 4 final fours and lost in the S16 to the eventual champ with a stacked team in 97. Could have very easily won one of those, but he didn’t. Of the final four teams I think 01-02 was the biggest miss.

Then at UNC he went to the FF 5 times and converted 3 to titles. Given he had 3 more years there, it was a similar rate of getting to the FF.

• @dylans The answer is yes to your first four questions. Bshark’s bad luck theory is also correct.

It took Andy Reid 7 years to win a Super Bowl in Kansas City.

I think it’s a doo-doo occurs situation.

• @dylans I’m going to agree with @BShark that bad luck with injuries likely cost Roy 2 titles in 1997 and 2003. We likely beat Arizona with a healthy team. I know Haase played with a broken wrist, but wasn’t Pollard also playing injured in that game?

And then in 2003, nobody can convince me KU doesn’t win that game if Wayne Simien plays in that game.

• Gonna go ahead mirror what @BShark said we got several unfavorable draws. In 91 I think we just got hosed by the officiating crew. I watched that game about 5 years ago when I was sick and was mad even tho I knew the outcome. 97 team is IMO the most talented CBB to not win a title. Ran into the wrong team at the right time. We definitely win 2003 if Wayne is healthy but we really should’ve won it anyway, we couldn’t hit a 3 or a freethrow to save our lives. Hard to put that one on Roy. If memory serves me correctly Graves and Collison combined to go like 4 for 18 from the line. Neither were great foul shooters but Collison usually was a 65% I think.

• @kjayhawks Yeah the team went 12-30 from the line in a game they lost by 3. Unreal.

• Danny Manning foregoes the NBA to win a Natty. Drew Gooden passes up a chance to be on an historically great team to go to the NBA.

Haase’s injury was gigantic in that loss to Zona. Roy was on a podcast recently talking about it. Without the info superhiway I was unaware of the injury at the time.

• @wissox Hasse’s injured wrist was poorly timed. One of my favorite teams.

• So much talent!

• @wissox the way Drew got his ass handed to him by Wilcox of UMD in the tourney I think he was done with college bball. It’s too bad though. It would have been great to have home one more year.

• @dylans speaking to floor burns, he was let go I believe Thursday from Stanford. I’d like to see some staff changes this offseason and would love to see him and Danny back on our side lines. I still think our bigs development was much better when Danny was here and obviously Jared had some great years here under Roy and in North Carolina.

• @wissox that team may have got undefeated had Drew stayed but it’s the new norm unfortunately. A guy on X thinks if Udeh and Dick stayed we have 2 loses this season. I think I agree with that, have Dick over Timberlake and Udeh instead of Braun.

• Danny hasn’t had much luck in coaching!

• @kjayhawks said in Roy:

@wissox that team may have got undefeated had Drew stayed but it’s the new norm unfortunately. A guy on X thinks if Udeh and Dick stayed we have 2 loses this season. I think I agree with that, have Dick over Timberlake and Udeh instead of Braun.

If Gradey stayed, we also don’t have Furphy.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 not this season anyway

• Udeh didn’t want to stay!

• Roy also recruited with one hand tied behind his back at KU. An extra guy here and there could’ve made a difference

• @FarmerJayhawk Rumor always says as he wouldn’t recruits East of the Mississippi and wouldn’t go after guys UNC was.