Guaranteed Rate Bowl News

• @kjayhawks said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

@AsadZ he finishes his career #7 in all time passing yards and 2nd in passing touchdowns (huge gap from Ressing to everyone else) so he’s gonna be in the record books here for a while. Believe he is also is tied with Ressing with 6 passing touchdowns in a game.

KU has some players that can either break or set new records or move very high up on some all time lists.

Jalon Daniels if he stays healthy next season, big if, could end up #2 in passing yards. He’s currently 9th at just under 4,300 yards and needs a little of 2,100 yards to move into second place in career passing yards. That would also out him somewhere in the top 10 for single season passing yards. Daniels needs 8 TD passes to move into 2nd on that list ahead of Bean.

Luke Grimm and Lawrence Arnold should move into 4th and 5th on KU’s all time receptions list. Grimm has 126 and Arnold has 121. Mark Simmons currently sits 4th at 155 so it seems likely that both Grimm and Arnold could get 30 and 35 receptions respectively to each pass Simmons.

Receiving yards is going to be a fun one to watch where Arnold and Grimm end up. Depending on next season, they could end up 2nd and 3rd all time. Arnold is 723 yards behind Steven Sims for 2nd and Grimm is 800 yards behind Sims. Doubt Grimm gets there based on career production, but Arnold should have a shot to pass Sims based on the last 2 years.

Grimm and Arnold could also end up 2nd and 3rd in TD receptions as well. Sims is currently second at 19 so Grimm only needs 3 to pass Sims which seems likely and Arnold needs 7 which is less likely, but still possible.

The player that could sit atop the KU record books after next season is Devin Neal. June Henley currently sits atop the rushing list with 3,841 yards. Neal is currently 4th all time at 3,077 rushing yards. If he stays healthy, it seems likely Neal breaks that record. Neal will also likely break Henley’s career rushing TD recod as well. Henley had 41, Neal is currently 3rd all time at 33 TD’s.

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

@Texas-Hawk-10 he is invited to the aloha bowl to play w/top players in front of scouts!

It’s a lower level all star game that’s notnthe caliber of the Senior Bowl which is the one that will produce the most NFL talent. This one is going to be more for lower level pro leagues like the CFL, XFL/USFL. Bean very well could end up in one of those leagues, I just don’t believe he has the decision making of an NFL caliber QB.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 @Crimsonorblue22 I think Bean will get invited to an NFL camp at this point. I don’t think he’ll be a starter or major player but his world class speed and deep ball accuracy are great.

• We shall see

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I hope Daniels does stay healthy. But after missing basically the past two seasons, can we reasonably expect him to play a full season next year?

• My belief is that Bean’s decision making is fixable with coaching.

With elite speed and strong arm, I am confident that he will be invited to a camp where he can impress coaches.

• @AsadZ I’d take him over PM right now. Oh yes I would! Admittedly, he does have better receivers than PM, but still…

• @nuleafjhawk Yeah, I could tell.

• @nuleafjhawk that’s like I said earlier, I’d rather have KUs receivers than KCs and that’s by a wide margin

• I’ve heard hot takes but that’s nuclear fusion in the core of the sun

• Around 15 million degrees

• I doubt Bean’s receivers would be that good facing NFL starting secondaries.

• KU’s Bean set a bowl record for the Big 12 - most touchdowns thrown in a bowl game at 6. Not OU with their high flying offense under Riley or Stoops. Not Texas and the million bowl games they’ve been too. Not the in state football “powerhouse” ksu. K freakin’ U has the record for passing touchdowns in a bowl game in the Big12.

• Todd Reesing was a better QB than Bean and he didn’t sniff the NFL. However Todd Heaps was much worse than both and had a cup of coffee in the league based on his HS ranking. If someone likes Bean they may take a flyer on him, but my team only has 6 draft picks this year and they had better not waste one on a backup quarterback!

• @dylans Jake Heaps I think is who you mean? Him and Dane Christ both got chances but we’re hot garbage. Ressing never got his shot because he was 5’10 standing on his tip toes.

• @kjayhawks Yeah. Old what’s his face Heaps of…

• Reesing didn’t get a sniff because NFL teams do not want small QBs. He was listed at 5’11" but I remember he was likely a couple inches shorter.

According to The Ringer, “Since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, 172 quarterbacks have started at least 50 games—only 11 of them were 6-foot or shorter. Among those players are Kyler Murray, Michael Vick, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees.”

He was probably also hurt by KU losing the last 6 games of the 2009 season, and having 7 interceptions in those games.

• Bean’s best chance at making the NFL is probably changing positions to WR and utilizing his size and speed in that manner. Far too often, he forces passes into double and triple coverage resulting in bad interceptions.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Guaranteed Rate Bowl News:

Bean’s best chance at making the NFL is probably changing positions to WR and utilizing his size and speed in that manner. Far too often, he forces passes into double and triple coverage resulting in bad interceptions.

that might work out well if he could switch positions and try at WR like you said, if he could adapt - -his speed would be major bonus to some team

• I think someone will give Bean a camp invite just to see what they can do with him. Those physical tools are elite. I mean Tim freaking Boyle stuck around for a few years and was way, way, way worse than Bean in college

• @FarmerJayhawk yep size, speed and arm strength are god given. Look no further than Josh Freeman of KSU dude was total trash in college but had the 3 listed items and got several chances because of it.

• Ku finishes the season ranked #23 in the AP poll

• Time to start getting mad about the ‘way too early top 25’s’ for next year. Saw one at ESPN. We’re 23. I’m a little miffed! Imagine being miffed at a writer even ranking us at all when you think about where we’ve come from!

• @wissox Stewart Mandel has us at 17. Concerned about O line.

• On The Athletic, Chris Vannini’s final '23-'24 season ranking has us #18. I won’t say who is at #17 to keep a couple of our people living in Sunflower disputed territory from stroking out…