BIG J Beaks the Wimpy Kingfisher

• So, in advance of the all important Maui Benefit Exhibition Game, some students introduced a new mascot for Illinois recently: The Kingfisher. I really hope it shows up at the game, but I doubt it. I was looking for a Fighting Illini mascot and stumbled on The Kingfisher. Previously, the school used an indian chief as a mascot, but is in the process of changing.

I’m ready for the season to start to help put all the negatives behind us. Let’s get our focus back on current players and basketball, please. Preseason #1 puts a huge target on KU’s back, even for an exhibition game.

• It seems that Hunter puts a bigger target on our backs than the #1 ranking. At least with the Illinois fans, it did.

• The Illini Indian chief was a source of pride for Native Americans in Illinois. He was not disrespecting a culture in any way. They don’t do the tomahawk chant like Braves/FSU and ahem, Chiefs fans. He did some kind of dance in an outfit that represented the Illini tribe. Illinois athletics has been abysmal for the most part since they removed him so he put a curse on him, the curse of Chief Illiniwek. Bring him back and Illinois sports will return to prominence.

• @bskeet Is he the Hunter or the Hunted?