Chiefs season long game thread

• If the line “it’s the people that kill, not the weapon” why would we make the weapon available to people who could use them to kill a lot of people? We ban other weapons of mass destruction for personal use, so why not these crazy assault weapons that are being used?

Someone studied shooting victims and the average price per victim is over a million dollars in this study.

Another aspect of our gun culture is suicide. Half of gun deaths in the US are suicides. People who want to die are way more successful if a gun is available.

There’s a lot of reasons to have a serious drawback of gun ownership in this country and the time is now.

• @wissox - my brother was murdered by a car. The driver has shitty parents and borderline personality disorder. I don’t blame the car. One of my good friends growing up was murdered by a gunshot to the back of his head while driving. I blame meth not guns for that one. I had a friend blow his brains out after his girlfriend overdosed on his acid. I blame drugs and social pressures and internal strife created by the adoption process for that teenage suicide. Misplaced blame only creates a new issue. It’s easy to say take away the guns. Then it will be something else that needs taken away and another freedoms and then something else, because the root cause is being ignored. - from my viewpoint it’s a lack of morality, personal accountability and fortitude coupled with an external pressure such as envy, anger issues, undiagnosed mental disorders, greed, drugs, alcohol, debt, etc.

I hate that any of this happened, but there is no easy solution like take away the guns.

Instead of celebrating a champion we are discussing those spoiled brats.

• @dylans So why not have more controls over who can get guns, so as to protect against those bad people? Why not have mandatory training and restrictions on carrying guns openly in public areas?

I understand gun ownership for protection but don’t think that means walking down the street holding assault weapons.

The country has survived with restrictions on types of guns like machine guns.

• Move this to the politics board, please.

• @wissox the guns don’t kill people retort is from people who love guns. if there were no guns, i’ll take my chances at mass baseball bat clubbings or mass swiss army knife stabbings. people want to kill people and assault weapons just give them the green light to do it.

you know i’m serious when i use my e.e.cummings style.

• @nuleafjhawk Lol I don’t even own a gun. Don’t like to hunt. But disarming the people has never led to good things.

• @dylans I’m sorry - I wasn’t referring to you personally, but I see how it looks. I just get upset with all the shooting BS.

• @dylans Sorry you experienced those losses. None of this is easy to discuss. I really wish that many of the causes you mentioned were taken more seriously.

• @wissox I think we all have been touched in some way by a similar loss.

• @dylans said in Chiefs season long game thread:

@wissox - my brother was murdered by a car. The driver has shitty parents and borderline personality disorder. I don’t blame the car. One of my good friends growing up was murdered by a gunshot to the back of his head while driving. I blame meth not guns for that one. I had a friend blow his brains out after his girlfriend overdosed on his acid. I blame drugs and social pressures and internal strife created by the adoption process for that teenage suicide. Misplaced blame only creates a new issue. It’s easy to say take away the guns. Then it will be something else that needs taken away and another freedoms and then something else, because the root cause is being ignored. - from my viewpoint it’s a lack of morality, personal accountability and fortitude coupled with an external pressure such as envy, anger issues, undiagnosed mental disorders, greed, drugs, alcohol, debt, etc.

I hate that any of this happened, but there is no easy solution like take away the guns.

Instead of celebrating a champion we are discussing those spoiled brats.

I’m pretty sure that without assault weapons, the “people” pulling the triggers in these mass shootings would not kill nor injure near as many. Victory.

• @wissox said in Chiefs season long game thread:

Repeal the 2nd Amendment. Or I don’t know, can you keep it but rewrite it?

Or at least learn to read it.

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

That first clause is kind of important. Any of y’all members of a “well regulated Militia”? And what might “regulated” mean?

People focus on “shall not be infringed” as if it’s the only clause in this sentence.

And then often those same people want the rest of the document interpreted as it was written in the time it was written, but never seem to apply that logic to this phrase allowing the people only to bear muskets.

• I realize this is a national talking point, but it is to distract from the real issue. The lowest murder rates are from demographics that have 2 parents, the same people that finish school and get better jobs.

Without assault weapons nothing would have changed about the Chiefs parade. The minors illegally possess the handguns they used. No amount of new laws will keep guns out of the hands of criminals. You can print a single use gun on a 3D printer. Assault weapons are so infrequently used in these attacks, yet that is what everyone latches on to as the thing that if we ban it will save America. It won’t change a single thing. The under lying problem of a lack of respect for life is the issue. What happened to love thy neighbor? It’s the cowards that choose to hid behind violence that are the issue. Banning guns won’t change a thing. There were something like 5 people on the earth when Cain killed his brother, he didn’t need an assault rifle to kill 20% of the world population.

Higher body counts when assault weapons are used usually point to intent and aren’t the result of stray bullets like at the Chiefs parade. Bringing a gun to a parade is the issue. What the fuck is that about?

edit it is being reported than an assault rifle was used by at least one.

• The “tear down anyone famous brigade” is now out in full force for Travis Kelce smiling while posing for a selfie with a cop Wed evening, and for a few Chiefs and wives smiling while posing for a group picture in a bar that was holding their private post-parade function they decided to go through with.

The judgmentalism in our culture makes me sick. Reminds me of a guy who came up to me at my father’s memorial service offended by our minister for reading numerous funny things he found in my father’s papers to which we gave him access. This guy thought laughter was totally inappropriate. I told him I found that attitude offensive because the eulogy captured my father perfectly.

Later, we had the KU/KState bb game on in the den as people gathered at the house. Everyone understood my Dad would have wanted it that way, but I got a kick out of thinking Mr. Grinch would have discorporated on the spot.

Travis was with one of the many cops whose dedication was amazing that day, and was happy to give him a happy memory amidst everything. The players at the bar being there instead of stiffing the owner and employees…trying to have some normalcy in the shadow of chaos is not a crime.

• The Chiefs did something with Chris Jones’ contract. Sounds like a precursor to a new deal, or a franchise tag.

• @rockchalkjayhawk Picking up his rights or whatever they call it sounds promising. At least they can franchise tag him. I’m not going to hold drunk parade Chris Jones at his word, but I really hope both sides can come to an agreement they can live with. - both sides are showing interest. That’s fantastic!

• Did y’all see that Bienemy is joining the UCLA staff?

Crazy. Think he’s giving up on the pros? Sounds like there was still NFL interest.

• @rockchalkjayhawk I read the quotes from his interview where he talked about his prospects. I like Bienemy a lot, but those quotes sounded pretty self-deluding. I seriously doubt he could have stayed with Washington. I think UCLA is a good place for him to escape this constant scrutiny of why he never gets hired as a HC. It could be racism as suspected by many, but the man has racked up some questionable police interactions over the years. Good time to blaze a new (cleaner) path.

• @mayjay that’s why I don’t buy the racist talk of him not being hired. He has gotten interviews a bunch of times, I’d say he’s not good at them. Also as you stated he has a very concerning rap sheet with the law, tho it was mostly stuff from 30 years ago.

• @kjayhawks 16 interviews tells me he doesn’t interview well. The body of work is there. His personality is intense and may not be for everyone. The Chiefs said they have no spot on the staff for him, which I’m not 100% sure how to read - either they want him to flourish outside of Reid’s shadow, or they don’t want him back.

• @dylans I’m going with option 2. If you knew of a person that could greatly benefit your organization would you really want them to flourish outside of it? Not me.

• @nuleafjhawk I agree, but Reid has proven to be a extremely supportive man who seems to genuinely wish others success.

• I also kinda think Beinemy wore out his welcome with Pat too. Just my opinion from the outside looking in.

• @nuleafjhawk @dylans I think the Chiefs’ staff is very set and working like a finely tuned instrument. It could be difficult to bring him back without inpinging on someones’s job. They all said his talk to the players in the playoffs was inspiring, but that doesn’t mean he could slip into a cheerleader role. Not having a place that fits him doesn’t mean they wouldn’t consider him if a job had opened up. The rapid extensions given Toub, Spags and others show the Chiefs don’t want to upset the apple cart.