Coach Self admits - -it's not good

• Read an article Coach Self stating himself the portal overall IS NOT a good thing for the game of College Baketball. - -Of course it isn’t, between it and this NIL it is ruining the game of College Basketball.

Coach Self said that with this portal kids feel that they can just up and leave whenever they want to , saying that’s not right. -Really Coach ? - it’s not right ? - WHY NOT ? Coach’s up and leave at the drop of the hat A lot. - More cases then not where a kid comes to play FOR that Coach and not the School. Then the Coach just ups and leaves the kid up the proverbial creek. - Is that right ? - - Hell no that’s not right. - no difference. So the kid should have EVERY RIGHT to transfer out The broad scheme of things with this - -between this portal and NIL - -it’s ruined the game of Amateur College Basketball. All the College game is becoming is farm system for the NBA - -getting paid just like minor league in other sports.

They pointed out with this portal during the last three cyles - -2020 - -2021 - -2022 KU has signed 12 High Schools kids. Out of those twelve 7 have transferred out after their 1st season , 3 others have transferred out after their 2nd season - -only KJ Adams remains out of those three cyles - -Why even recruit HS Kids at all anymore? - -these kids gonna get to the point they will avoid Schools like ourselves because of things like this. - One year w gonna keep playing rwith fire with this portal and gonna come up empty and no High Schools kids to fall back on-- not good

• @jayballer67 i think he was suggesting that kids might learn from fighting through challenges rather than running away from them.

If i had to guess i think Udeh surprised him more than any transfer ever and he had plans for Udeh in the future, whether real or imaginary.

I do think in Udeh’s case, there is a real chance that his future may have been brighter staying at KU. I agree, it should be his choice. Time will tell if the choice he made works out better for him. Hope so.

• @jayballer67 feels better than mlb minors maybe? Cost of a scholarship is worth more than what a lot of those guys make.

• @approxinfinity said in Coach Self admits - -it's not good:

@jayballer67 feels better than mlb minors maybe? Cost of a scholarship is worth more than what a lot of those guys make.

you would think if you realize it’s not good for the game - -you would do you part to make it change. - one of these days it’s gonna come back and bite us right square in the ass

• The NCAA has a knack for poor implementation and uninspired policies. Their inability to put guidelines in place that would encourage the right behavior is the issue.

The portal is a good thing. Kids need to be able to leave in certain situations (the current free-for-all is not a sustainable solution.) NIL is a good thing. Students should be able to make money while in school without losing amateur status. (but, again, without some guardrails, bad behavior is inevitable).

If the NCAA had said at the start that this was a 1-2year experiment after which there would be a review and changes… then I would think they were pretty savvy. But they laid this out as though it was their response to the criticism… and it’s simply lackluster as usual.