Well kind of boring afternoon , anyone for memory lane ?

• just sitting here and not much going on - thinking back on past players, some from sometime back, let’s see if you can add some others might be interesting to bring up past names /players . Ok let’s see here w go to start :

Ken Koenings ( know that’s not spelt right ) -Rick Robisch , Pierre Russell , Aubrey Nash , Rick Suttle , Jo Jo White , ( ahh the what /who was it ? - The famous foot out of bounds call ( Texas El-Paso is that who they were ?Calvin ( Pony Thompson ) Ronnie Kellogg , Danny Knight , Kelly Knight , Clint Normore , Roger Morningstar , Darnell Valentine , Mark Turgeon , Victor Mitchell ( The House ) right ? T J Pugh , Nino Samuel , Paul Pierce , - Roger Bohenstihl ( Again not spelt right sorry ) just a few - -would love to here more bring those names back -Make them from SOME TIME back past of pasts

• Goddard’s own Doc Koenigs ! He turned down the NBA to go to med school. Now a gastroenterologist in Massachusetts.

Small forward, 1975 thru 78. Part of lineups that included Darnell Valentine, Paul Mokeski, Donnie Von Moore, John Douglas (his roommate) and Clint Johnson.

The end of that '78 season was such a letdown. It was all set up for us to be a Final Four team. One of the regionals was at Allen Field House. This was before the NCAA stopped letting a team play on their home court in the tournament. All we had to do was win the Big 8 tourney (as the top seed) to get sent to a first round game in either Wichita or Tulsa, presumably leading to the regional in Lawrence. (Only 32 teams in the field back then.) And the Final Four was in St. Louis at the old Checkerdome. All within driving distance for KU fans.

Instead we got upset by K-State in the Big 8 tournament semis, and were sent out west to Eugene OR to face UCLA.

The Bruins beat us by 7 after we led at halftime. But that wasn’t the worst of it. NBC’s Curt Gowdy, normally a solid play-by-play guy, called the nationally-broadcast game, and managed to mispronounce nearly every Jayhawk’s name (“Darrell Valentine.” “Paul Moneski.” etc.) Everybody in the bar where I watched the game was screaming and cussing Gowdy out, compounding the misery that day.

Things worked out for Koenigs though. Drafted by Cleveland, he had a good rookie camp, but decided to follow his academic dreams and enrolled at KU Med. Eventually becoming a gastroenterologist, he set up practice in, of all places, Springfield, Massachusetts…the home of the Basketball Hall Of Fame. He’s been there ever since.

• Adonis Jordon, Rex Walters, Alonzo Jamison, Mark Randall, Downtown Terry Brown and, drumroll, Eric Pauley.

• @nwhawkfan Mercy how I not remember Big Mo & Donnie too

• @Marco said in Well kind of boring afternoon , anyone for memory lane ?:

Adonis Jordon, Rex Walters, Alonzo Jamison, Mark Randall, Downtown Terry Brown and, drumroll, Eric Pauley.

Oh ya Eric Pauley- - and not that long ago just thought about it Jeff Whithey - -Had quite the knack for swatting shots, I think he was always talking about how playing Volleyball help him with that

• Milt Newton! Kenny Gregory, Cedric Hunter, Greg Dreiling, Eric Chenowith, Steve Woodberry, Archie Marshall, Mike Maddox, Jeff Boschee

• Thinking back to the KU poster/calendars I had as a kid…

Jeff Graves, Mike Lee, Moulaye Niang, Bryant Nash, Jeff Carey, Mitch Lightfoot (ok I kid but I’m 32% sure he came to KU when I was in high school)

• @tis4tim said in Well kind of boring afternoon , anyone for memory lane ?:

Milt Newton! Kenny Gregory, Cedric Hunter, Greg Dreiling, Eric Chenowith, Steve Woodberry, Archie Marshall, Mike Maddox, Jeff Boschee

Mercy , Mercy , Mercy yes. - How can we forget Mr Woodberry pretty good kid , Poor Archie - -felt so sorry for him , tore what was it again can’t remember was it his Achilles ? Remember let’s see who was we playing was it Okie St ? And they let Archie come on the floor Cedric was a little pistol , Greg was one of the first if not THE FIRST that came out of that pipeline from Wichita for awhile. He was ok a little dissapointing but not bad - -out of Kapaun Mt Carmel . I lived in Wichita around then and WSU thought for sure he was going there – -they ( WSU fans ) were hot

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Well kind of boring afternoon , anyone for memory lane ?:

Thinking back to the KU poster/calendars I had as a kid…

Jeff Graves, Mike Lee, Moulaye Niang, Bryant Nash, Jeff Carey, Mitch Lightfoot (ok I kid but I’m 32% sure he came to KU when I was in high school)

Ya I remember Graves. ( he was under Brown wasn’t he ? )- -now this Moulave Niang - -now you got me there buddy I don’t remember him at all , when was he here guy ?

• David Magley from the corner……swish!! I remember how he would hit that shot and then run back with both arms raised. One of my favorite teams was in’86 with Hunter, Kellogg, Thompson, Manning and Dreiling. Got to see that team beat Louisville with Never Nervous Pervis Ellison in AFH. Pretty sure both teams went to the FF that year with Louisville cutting down the nets

• @Oldmanhawk said in Well kind of boring afternoon , anyone for memory lane ?:

David Magley from the corner……swish!! I remember how he would hit that shot and then run back with both arms raised. One of my favorite teams was in’86 with Hunter, Kellogg, Thompson, Manning and Dreiling. Got to see that team beat Louisville with Never Nervous Pervis Ellison in AFH. Pretty sure both teams went to the FF that year with Louisville cutting down the nets

How the heck did I forget Magley sweet shot, - -Just soooo many players… - -I remember the team your talking about talking about someone killing it from the base line Ronnie would just kill ya from the corner. - -Him and Pony were quite a duo

• This post is deleted!

• Just saw Kelly Knight passed away. He was only 59. Remember him sporting the knee braces as he chugged up and down the court. As a native of Kansas, Kelly was always a favorite of mine. RIP Kelly

Just saw Kelly Knight passed away. He was only 59. Remember him sporting the knee braces as he chugged up and down the court. As a native of Kansas, Kelly was always a favorite of mine. RIP Kelly

Dam what did he pass away from bud ? - -I had menitoned Kelly & Danny in here that’s too bad RIP ROCK CHALK BUDDY

David Magley from the corner……swish!! I remember how he would hit that shot and then run back with both arms raised. One of my favorite teams was in’86 with Hunter, Kellogg, Thompson, Manning and Dreiling. Got to see that team beat Louisville with Never Nervous Pervis Ellison in AFH. Pretty sure both teams went to the FF that year with Louisville cutting down the nets

Oh yeah, the '86 team was a beast.

• @Oldmanhawk That was my first year at KU and you can look this up, but we beat Louisville twice that year. I saw the AFH game. They also won against them in a Holiday tournament. But of course the officials decided in the FF that Duke deserved to beat us. It’s documented as the first appearance of the Duke whistle!

• @wissox I was a Freshman at Pratt JUCO and we got to play a Scooter Barry led KU jv team just before the KU Louisville gane. We (the Beavers) actually won the game quite handily. Found out later that the coach for that jv squad was a Grad Assistant named Bill Self! So I’m wondering if it’s wrong to tell people that I was on a team that beat a Bill Self coached Kansas team in AFH! LOL!!

• @Oldmanhawk Wow, that’s an awesome story!! I have a Scooter story too. I was in my first week at KU. I really knew very little about the basketball tradition I’d walked into. Well I had a short field trip for a Geography class and getting into van I closed the door accidentally on someones hand. I hear “I hope that’s not your shooting hand”. He wasn’t hurt. I sized him up as a skinny white kid and assumed the shooting hand comment meant he was a golfer or something like that. So I asked and he said he was Scooter and on the team. He was very cool. He told me his who his dad was and I remember watching him in the ABA.

@wissox I was a Freshman at Pratt JUCO and we got to play a Scooter Barry led KU jv team just before the KU Louisville gane. We (the Beavers) actually won the game quite handily. Found out later that the coach for that jv squad was a Grad Assistant named Bill Self! So I’m wondering if it’s wrong to tell people that I was on a team that beat a Bill Self coached Kansas team in AFH! LOL!!

That’s a great story!

• @wissox said in Well kind of boring afternoon , anyone for memory lane ?:

@Oldmanhawk Wow, that’s an awesome story!! I have a Scooter story too. I was in my first week at KU. I really knew very little about the basketball tradition I’d walked into. Well I had a short field trip for a Geography class and getting into van I closed the door accidentally on someones hand. I hear “I hope that’s not your shooting hand”. He wasn’t hurt. I sized him up as a skinny white kid and assumed the shooting hand comment meant he was a golfer or something like that. So I asked and he said he was Scooter and on the team. He was very cool. He told me his who his dad was and I remember watching him in the ABA.

That’s a great story too!