Dearmon Offense

• Got the football itch since there was only the Pro Bowl this weekend so wanted to get a better feel for Dearmon’s scheme beyond just the label RPO. Tracked down a couple podcasts: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5IxDtwdg1k5xObgSvEzQG8?si=Z-HxMPP8QPO4TeNHTnl6yg and https://open.spotify.com/episode/6u1tLBRvTG4SpFGfmYCgRt?si=jbbzAe0GQvKvtQgNY3_RQg

• As far as structure, it’s pretty simple. He’s got 4 run concepts (power, counter, inside zone, buck sweep) and 25 RPO’s as the core of the system, what he refers to as “who we are.” Not quite Air Raid numbers, but in the ballpark of simplicity.

• Use tempo to keep the defense in mostly “vanilla” looks. Helps make reads easier pre-snap.

• The entire point of the RPO is to attack potential 7th or 8th run defenders. For example, if you’re in 20 personnel and have 6 in the box, you’ve got a hat on a hat unless a safety/SAM comes down to attack the run. The point of the RPO is to read that defender and attack the space he vacated to defend the run.

• His big focus in RPO’s is protecting the QB. In other words, don’t leave the DE unblocked when the QB is reading from the pocket. Gruden went off about this on a QB Camp episode a couple years ago when teams were runnign RPO’s but leaving the end man on the LOS unblocked. Block the end with a FB or H-Back.

• He bases out of 20 or 21 personnel, but will sprinkle in 12 depending on personnel. I’d look for TE’s to be a big feature of the offense. I think there will be a lot of openings to hit a TE in the seam.

• Have answers to man since RPO’s generally attack zone. He’ll rely on rub routes and some QB runs if the box is light.

• At AR Tech, he only carried 4-5 RPO’s each week depending on the coverages the defense plays. I’d look for 8-10 at KU. He’d also tweak some core concepts if there was a specific look they could exploit (think the BC game).

• He starts by teaching QB’s gaps instead of coverages. This is to teach them how to identify who’s in the box, who’ll fit the run, and who to attack post-snap. Attack a defender in an area, not “read the field safety in Cover 3.”

• QB opens to post-snap read side, QB reads backside pre-snap.

• As far as personnel, we can see what he prefers in our recruiting: the field slot has to be a fast playmaker (think screens and go’s). Boundary receiver is a bigger bodied WR that can block some and win jump balls. Field outside receiver should be able to take the top off the defense to keep the field safety occupied and beat the field corner. That helps the run game. • H-back has to be one of the smartest players on offense and understand gaps and what the QB may look at. Think Jimmay Mundine. Dearmon has a lot of guys that could end up playing a lot in the TE role(s).

There’s plenty more out there but that’s generally what he’ll do.

• You made me go back and rewatch some stuff.

I like the idea of teaching gaps instead of coverages… That keeps it way more simple. Something I wish I would have taught my freshman QBs when I was coaching.

I think one thing that limited the offense last year was Stanley’s arm strength. I think that took away some of the quick outs and hitch routes from the playbook.

• It made a lot of intuitive sense to me as well. Hopefully we land a QB who can make throws on a rope to the field side, otherwise we’ll certainly be limited in what we can do. I suppose if nothing else we can put the Y to the boundary, but things can get congested. Maybe run more 12 personnel if a second TE emerges? I need to see if some Bethel games are around to watch. I think he used a fair amount of 12 then.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

It made a lot of intuitive sense to me as well. Hopefully we land a QB who can make throws on a rope to the field side, otherwise we’ll certainly be limited in what we can do. I suppose if nothing else we can put the Y to the boundary, but things can get congested. Maybe run more 12 personnel if a second TE emerges? I need to see if some Bethel games are around to watch. I think he used a fair amount of 12 then.

I’d like to see us do a lot of 11 with the Y off the line.

I think one of our strengths is our WRs. I don’t want to take them off the field really.

• Kcmatt7 said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

It made a lot of intuitive sense to me as well. Hopefully we land a QB who can make throws on a rope to the field side, otherwise we’ll certainly be limited in what we can do. I suppose if nothing else we can put the Y to the boundary, but things can get congested. Maybe run more 12 personnel if a second TE emerges? I need to see if some Bethel games are around to watch. I think he used a fair amount of 12 then.

I’d like to see us do a lot of 11 with the Y off the line.

I think one of our strengths is our WRs. I don’t want to take them off the field really.

I’d agree with that. Parchment, Robinson, and Lassiter are a solid true. We’ll see what Fairs, Naylor, Hampton, and Horne can give us as depth. I’d love to RS everyone else if possible. Hard to say if anyone beyond Luavasa can be a bona fide threat in the passing game from the TE spot.