Game Day Breakdown: KU football at No. 15 Texas

• Also for real Charlie Worsham is great. Single-handedly saving country music folks.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

Part of the reason it’s tough to finish is we have no bodies. Texas ran 85+ plays and we were done in the 4th. A decent second string buys us enough time to get a stop late and helps block up special teams. Tough when you’re playing with 20% fewer guys than UT.

Absolutely correct. Once the roster gets built up more they can rotate guys better.

• @kjayhawks KU should’ve been 10-2 in 2006.

• @BShark His clock management and record in close games killed him there for sure. But this was a great game plan and we just didnt execute on special teams. We are still missing Prox on Defense and I honestly think that hurt against Sam. My disappointment was in the last defensive series not sending the house repeatedly. We had good blitzes all night, why give what is probably a top 5 QB in the nation all day to find guys only needing a FG?

• @kjayhawks Going into constant rush 3 prevent was pretty disappointing. Ultimately w/e doesn’t work will be disappointing but I feel like if you play regular defense and try to blitz you are at least trying to win even if it leads to a UT TD.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

@kjayhawks KU should’ve been 10-2 in 2006.

A lot of close ones that year. I remember 2 OT losses including one against the Corn.

• kjayhawks said:

3 losses by a combined 12 points, we are getting closer folks. What a roller coaster that game was.

I hadn’t realized that - -but your right WE ARE getting closer. - -we HAVE to get out and put some butts in the seats /back this team.

We have Texas Tech next weekend, – I think we can win that - – - I think we have a legit shot at K-State - - we just got to get a QB. - -Now that’s not a knock on Carter by any means at all so don’t get all twisted - - What I mean is - - here we go Carter is a Senior - -so we gonna have to have a new QB next year hoping we can have a quality QB to take over next year.

Carter and the guys don’t have any thing to feel bad about very proud of the guys - - just Special teams tonight cost us - - BIG - - just got to hang in there. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BShark said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

Part of the reason it’s tough to finish is we have no bodies. Texas ran 85+ plays and we were done in the 4th. A decent second string buys us enough time to get a stop late and helps block up special teams. Tough when you’re playing with 20% fewer guys than UT.

Absolutely correct. Once the roster gets built up more they can rotate guys better.

Thanks Charlie Weis for gutting the roster to the point it’s needed 2 full recruiting cycles to fix. Beaty did a solid job of fixing the class imbalance Weis created with his gutting and recruiting tactics, but obviously didn’t have the ability to hang around long enough to build the depth back all the way up.

• kjayhawks said:

Ready for next Saturday already, odd saying that in football season. 2 home games vs Tech and KSU. Both are winnable. How about Baylor?

Tech And K-State - - yes beatable - - -Baylor – don’t think so. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• BShark said:

Texas Hawk 10 said:

@kjayhawks KU should’ve been 10-2 in 2006.

A lot of close ones that year. I remember 2 OT losses including one against the Corn.

Lost to Toledo in 2OT and Nebraska in OT. Also lost by 3 to Texas A&M and 1 to Baylor that year.

• @BShark I like him, look up Whiskey Myers my friend. You won’t be disappointed.

• @BShark I’ll always love the fat man regardless of what people think.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 I dont believe we gained a single scholarship player under Beaty. We are still down around 25 guys and could only sign 15 this past cycle because of Jucos, transfers and grey shirts. Beaty did abouslutely nothing to improve this program.

• @kjayhawks Reread what I said about the situation and have said the past 5 years since Beaty was hired. I’ve said for 5 years that it was going to take two full recruiting cycles to fix the depth issues Weis made. Weis not only destroyed the depth of the program, he also made the classes ridiculously imbalanced. He created a situation where KU had a year with less than 15 seniors followed by a class of over 25 seniors followed by a class of under 15 seniors, followed by another class of over 25 seniors.

KU was never to build depth in the first 4-5 years post Weis regardless of the next coach being Beaty or Bowen. Their first recruiting cycle was always going to be about restoring balance to the class numbers. That’s what Beaty did. KU now has senior classes that will be fairly even and Miles will be able to finish fixing the mess Weis created.

• I believe we’re at about 25/25/10/10, +/- a couple. Beaty really screwed the pooch in 2018.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 the problem is, he could’ve improved it by selling out on high schools recruits. Yes it will take years to fix but if had any sense, we’d be half way there.

• @kjayhawks David Beaty didn’t even have enough players his first year to have a two deep or a spring game. Les Miles didn’t have those issues this spring. KU had the depth of a D2 program in Beaty’s first year with about 50 scholarship players that year. KU has somewhere in the low 70’s this year. David Beaty was never going to fix the depth issues completely in 4 years, even with full high school classes.

Getting JuCo players in those years with small senior classes is what helped bring the class sizes mostly back into balance. David Beaty did make it a good enough situation that Les Miles will be able to bring the depth numbers up to normal levels by the end of his first recruiting cycle.

I still don’t think you comprehend just how badly Charlie Weis screwed KU football and just how bad of a position Weis put whoever his successor was going to be in. KU could’ve hired Nick Saban and it was still going to take 8-10 years to fix the depth issues with the scholarship mess Charlie Weis left behind.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Beaty definitely had enough bodies to play the spring game, because he played the spring game where Michael Cummings got hurt. He was like a fisherman that year, every time he got asked how many players he started with the number went lower. Truth be told he had about 60 on scholarship year 1. About 45 for the spring game. At least that’s what I was told at the time.

But back to the topic at hand, it’s clear now that this program is headed in the right direction. Next two are clearly winnable at home. 4 wins should be considered good progress and we’ll go into next year with a much younger team, real questions at QB, and still questionable depth. 2021 is the targeted breakout year.

• @FarmerJayhawk yes, exactly. Beaty’s numbers changed almost daily according to him. He was obviously full of shit multiple times.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I went to a cocktail party at a new house just completed down the street from me and another neighbor is a Jayhawker. She didn’t give them much of a chance. I told her the new OC was going to make a difference. 2 Margaritas later, I stumble back up the hill to my house and turn on the radio and hear in the 3rd that KU actually lead. I listened to the rest of the game on the IMG network with their long time “voice of the Longhorns” and he and the other 2 announcers (one on sidelines was a former player - Quann Cosby) were really surprised by our defense and then the ability to get the important 4th down. I saw them impressed by KU’s grit and Carter’s running. I was screaming when we got the 2 pointer and the long field goal and couldn’t believe while watching Penn St. v Michigan on mute on TV ABC kept showing updates of our game and kinda rubbing it in to TX fans that KANSAS was giving them everything. I applaud everyone’s effort on the field last night in what had to be a little intimidating playing in front of 100K+ stadium and doing beyond what any of us thought was going to happen.

Can’t wait for BBall! Have a great day everyone.

• The scholarship numbers kept changing because Beaty was giving scholarships to walk-ons to boost the number of scholarship players on the roster. As far as players actually recruited to Kansas on scholarship, that number was in the upper 30’s for the spring and around 50 for the season.

Beaty was not full of shit on that front. That was a narrative driven by Tom Keegan because Keegan never liked the Beaty hire and used all of his power to undermine Beaty every opportunity he could which drove public opinion of Beaty.

David Beaty will never get the credit he deserves for the work he did rebuilding the roster to the point it’s at now because of Keegan’s hit pieces that frequently took personal shots at Beaty that weren’t football related. That 2015 Kansas team was one of the worst P5 teams ever because of what Charlie Weis left for Beaty. David Beaty had KU about 5 plays away from being a bowl in his final season. He left Les Miles a far better situation than what Charlie Weis left him.

That 2015 Kansas team had less than 20 seniors on that team. KU has 25 seniors on this season’s roster. You keep complaining about him going JuCo heavy in a couple of classes, but are failing to realize that those JuCo heavy classes were strategically heavier than other classes in order to bring the class sizes into balance. He didn’t get it perfectly, but he got that issue fixed well enough that Les Miles isn’t going to be screwed over by the scholarship situation the way Beaty was. Miles will have the numbers back to normal in 4-5 years and class sizes will be close enough that it’s not a big issue anymore.

David Beaty did far more for this program in regards to getting this program pointed in the right direction than he will ever get credit for because of Tom Keegan’s blind hatred of Beaty.

When was the last time a P5 football program paid their head coach under $1 million/year the way KU did? Even after his salary was doubled, Beaty was still the lowest paid coach in the B12. David was not brought in to be the savior of Kansas football, he was brought in to fix the scholarship mess Charlie Weis left behind and lay a solid foundation for the coach after him when KU could afford a bigger named coach. Had Beaty had more on field success, that would’ve been a bonus. He was always viewed as a transition coach that was going to catch a lot of gear for a scholarship situation he did not create.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 speaking of Beaty, I didn’t see hide nor hair of him last pm, or hear a word about him. Did you? Pretty ugly situation between us!

• @RockChalkinTexas sounds like a fun evening! I’m always hopeful.