WEST VIRGINIA TODAY

• I guess the refs missed a punt that hit a foot too.

• KU would be 4-0 with Peyton Bender at QB this year.

• @kjayhawks WVU only started one drive inside KU’s 40 and that was the first onside kick. They had a couple of other drives that started on KU’s side, but only one inside the 40. The Carter Stanley INT did lead to what was the game winning TD for WVU. KU had scored on the previous two drives before the pick and scored after the pick, so it’s a safe bet KU would’ve scored on that force without the pick as well.

Turnovers lost the game for KU tonight.

• Better play calling first half should’ve scored us a few more td’s and kept the D off.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

KU would be 4-0 with Peyton Bender at QB this year.

Or Todd Reesing. Both of whom have the same amount of eligibility. And FWIW, Stanley has a QBR of 89 and 72 the last 2 games. Bender only had one above 60 once. Stanley makes plays Bender never could, but admittedly turns it over too often.

I’m encouraged at where we’re at. This team would’ve quit under Beaty. Today they fought like hell and clawed back every time. I can’t help but think what we could’ve done on the last drive with 40 more seconds or had there been a no call on the first onside kick attempt or the 4th down PI. I think the staff is still figuring out exactly what they have and how they can use Pooka and Parchment. The OL is much worse than last year, but they were better tonight than against CC. Defense was really good for how many snaps they played.

I still think 4 wins is a reasonable goal. Any more is a big bonus.

• @FarmerJayhawk Yep that what I predicted. Stanley has been solid, he just has to hold on the ball. 5 turnovers in the last 3 games just doesn’t cut it at this level.

• kjayhawks said:

@FarmerJayhawk Yep that what I predicted. Stanley has been solid, he just has to hold on the ball. 5 turnovers in the last 3 games just doesn’t cut it at this level.

For sure. A couple were flukey. I think they should’ve reviewed his fumble since it looked like his arm was coming forward. I do really like that he’s tucking and running more. Stanley as a statue is a bad QB (see Coastal). But as a dual threat he makes the whole thing work a lot better.

• The forward pass this week and against CC I don’t get. Must be some rule change because the ball went forward both times. 5 yards today. ?

• I hope @Texas-Hawk-10 will let me know what the rule is.

• @DanR I thought they both were passes, no question. I dont see how they weren’t reviewed or the obvious helmet to helmet hit tonight. I’m working on our spare bedroom and rewatching the game. The pass inference on 4th down against Defense was pretty weak aswell. It just seems like when it rains it pours, think back to the CC 4th down when pooka was held literally 6 feet from an official. I’ve counted 16 plays so far where WV DBs have pulled ours Jerseys without a flag. I’m frustrated because anytime we get a questionable call in basketball, its front page news for 6 weeks. I’d really like to see officials start to take some credibility for shit calls. They make a pretty damn good living to not have to explain a damn thing.

• @FarmerJayhawk Peyton Bender committed 3 turnovers all of last year. Carter Stanley already has more. I’ve never argued that Bender was an elite QB, but he had two attributes that allowed KU to win 3 games last year. He protected the football and didn’t take a lot of bad sacks. Bender was an adequate game manager that was a respected enough passer that defenses couldn’t load up against the run.

Carter Stanley doesn’t have either of those traits. Stanley had another bad game today that cost KU a victory they should’ve had. I don’t see KU winning 4 games this year with Stanley at QB because he isn’t good enough. He’s only had two good games in his career at KU. There’s a reason he could never take the starting job from Cozart or Bender.

KU maybe wins one more game at this point.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Bender was the better QB IMO. I still think we can get a few more wins tho.

• DanR said:

I hope @Texas-Hawk-10 will let me know what the rule is.

I gotchu (https://ibb.co/BKxxh7F)

• @DanR this is the official rule: When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, is incomplete. I just rewatched Bradys fumble on youtube and it looks more like a fumble than both of Carter’s. That’s one if my first tell-tale that the NFL is rigged. Change the rule book to justify a BS call.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

@FarmerJayhawk Peyton Bender committed 3 turnovers all of last year. Carter Stanley already has more. I’ve never argued that Bender was an elite QB, but he had two attributes that allowed KU to win 3 games last year. He protected the football and didn’t take a lot of bad sacks. Bender was an adequate game manager that was a respected enough passer that defenses couldn’t load up against the run.

Carter Stanley doesn’t have either of those traits. Stanley had another bad game today that cost KU a victory they should’ve had. I don’t see KU winning 4 games this year with Stanley at QB because he isn’t good enough. He’s only had two good games in his career at KU. There’s a reason he could never take the starting job from Cozart or Bender.

KU maybe wins one more game at this point.

He actually committed 5. Lost 2 fumbles and threw 3 picks. Bender cost KU a possible win last year against KSU when he fumbled for like… no reason. I never said Stanley was elite. I’d give him 3 good games. WV in 16, then the last 2. And look, I get that he never took the job. But Beaty was deciding who the guy was and I’m not sure that’s the best metric re: player evaluation.

• @kjayhawks TCU is almost always competitive even when logic says it shouldn’t be close. Texas Tech isn’t very good this year, but still better than KU. Baylor didn’t look good today, but at the end of the season, KU may be looking at players for next year at that point. I don’t see a game left that KU won’t be a double digit underdog in.

Another issue this year that the defense has only forced two turnovers so far this season and both were in the first game against ISU. The defense isn’t helping the offense out as much like last year. Unless they start forcing turnovers, I really don’t see KU winning another game this year.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 very true, we will be dogs by a lot from here on out.

• Well here is my take on our team-- -the Season. - -Right off , ya it’s frustrating for sure to lose and lose - - no doubt about that, we want to win - -we all want to win , who doesn’t.

My take though- - we all knew this is a process , we all know that it’s going to take time. – We all know that we didn’t get this bad in a year - - two years - wall know or should know it’s not going to get fixed I a year - - or two years.- -I think what we are looking for , or should be looking for is progress , competiveness - or that’s what we should be looking for , and I think we are seeing that.

I know sure you can say well ya , easy for someone to say what I’m saying - -but truth - -it’s the bottom line -were still gonna take lickin’s - -butt kickin’s against some this year , you know that - - I know that , but we want to see some fire , some fight and I think we are seeing that. – I know one thing -this defense likes to hit - -they are going to give those guys some shots - -hit like a bad ass - -yet one thing I’ve noticed - - a lot of missed tackles/poor tackles - -not wrapping up , being in position and then not finishing or just whiffing.

I think wll played hard yesterday and for me Basically two HUGE plays - -Well No three I can think of. – 1st : - - Carter just flat throws a crazy interception not even close - - 2nd: -O-Line doesn’t hold , they get big time pressure and gets his arm hit while trying to pass and forces fumble - - and it was a fumble. 3rd : - - Stanley flat ass misses Charlot in the end zone -tries to hit Parchment when Charlot crosses the other way and they leave him WIDE open nobody anywhere close. - -Result we have to settle for field goal instead of TD. - - Someone has mentioned Stanley part of problem he has small hands so would cause some problems griping ball - -just going to take time - -crawl before we walk - -believe it or not - -we are getting better. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @FarmerJayhawk I rarely complain about the officiating - yesterday was an exception. It sucked. The pass/fumble you refer to, the helmet to helmet that wasn’t reviewed, 2or 3 more really bad calls or no calls. All that and we still had a chance.

• So tell me, I get the nfl rules mixed up with college, do we not have a review team? How on earth could nobody not see that helmet to helmet? Les needs a hankie-I know!

• Oh, and what is a penalty for that? That would be his second, right? Would he have to sit out a game?

• @FarmerJayhawk Considering there really weren’t many returning starters, if any, last year that aren’t starting this year, I’d say his and his assistant coaches talent evaluation was fine.

Beaty’s biggest weakness as a head coach was his management ability, both in game and with the coaching staff. Beaty was too hands on with his staff and not delegating responsibilities to his assistants. His in game management and play calling definitely left much to be desired.

He inherited a team that couldn’t win a game. He left Les Miles a roster that’s a QB away from being a bowl team this year.

• @Crimsonorblue22 College is different in that all plays are looked at by a review team in a studio somewhere and when they see something, they buzz the referee so he can stop play.

I don’t know the wording of the rule for the Carter Stanley fumble play. I don’t think that was a fumble, but it might be according to how the rule for that is written since we’ve seen it twice with Stanley this year.

The helmet to helmet was definitely a missed call that would’ve been a momentum play and the WVU player would’ve been suspended for the first half of their next game as well.

I didn’t really have an issue with how they were calling the receivers and DB’s because they were letting them play and it went both ways. Some people are focusing on what WVU got away with in that regard while not paying attention to what KU got away with as well. On Lassiter’s TD, Daylon Charlot got away with a big hold that allowed the TD. On the replay, Charlot clearly had a handful of jersey on the DB’s back which easily could’ve been called a hold and took that TD off the board.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 can the ncaa look and still access that kid a penalty? Head to head? Seems like they did that before w/tripper.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 they let the DBs play except the 4th down, weak a$$ PI on Defense. Like I said last night, I rewatched it and the total was 19 that WV did the same or worse with no calls. I love a physical game but you have call it consistently. The refs didn’t cost KU the game Stanley’s turnovers did but every questionable call went WVs way and that doesn’t help in a tight one.