Washburn

• Hmm they just showed a clip of KJ talking to Self on the sideline. KJ was very attentive, engaged and animated communicating with Self. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it’s mostly nerves.

• Elijah Elliott is going to RS. 5 year walk-on hyyype.

• BShark said:

Elijah Elliott is going to RS. 5 year walk-on hyyype.

“Walk-on”

• approxinfinity said:

Keegan’s last article?

Keegan is going to the Boston Herald.

• Kcmatt7 said:

BShark said:

“Walk-on”

Should I have said bag man?

• BShark said:

Kcmatt7 said:

BShark said:

“Walk-on”

Should I have said bag man?

Odds he gets real minutes at some point?

• Two major things from the exhibition games I think and am sure most will agree is - - -the main thing - -we just HAVE to get control of is the turnovers- - -42 turnover’s equals 21 per - -that is not going to get it, just got to get that in check. - -The other observation/ take is - – MAN Udoka looks so much better shooting in his touch shooting free throws.

What I think about the possibility of Redshirts is – our boy from KC can’t spell his name and he will be nice - -but I think the possibility of him then Redshirting is very possible - - THEN , maybe – maybe Lightfoot is the other possibility. – I mean actually if would benefit Mitch to and could be in the end run- -I think the way our recruiting Is going for us - -he could help us more next year then this year. - -Especially if we end up missing on Hurt too then He would for sure help is more next yr we shall see - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer73 Yeah the turnovers are bad. So many were just sloppy play or not having much experience playing with who you are playing with. One stood out to me where Grimes made an anticipation pass to Dotson but Dotson went the opposite way.

• Well, a very different start to the season than in recent years. Basically a new team. Zero chemistry so far. Seems like that will take some time. Hopefully less than five days! Or, as Self suggests, is it just awkward looking because they have not run a single play yet? My very early player impressions thru two:

Overall as a team: seems a bit unathletic and clunky? Dedric: old school. Will he actually dunk this year? Like his game. KJ: SLOW as dirt. Zero chance of covering a small. Hmmm. Dok: seems like he’s regressed a bit. Certainly not improved… Vick: no change (I was hoping he’d be dribble-driving) Dotson: I love this kid. He may be one of our few take it to the hole guys. The rest will come along. Charlie: we will need his shooting. The rest? Meh. Attitude? Grimes: mostly invisible til late in the 2nd half. Maybe he found his aggression! Agbaji: you see him going after every ball? Red shirt my ass! He should be in MMA. My fav. Big Dave: this will take time. No expectations this year. Any contribution a positive. Mitch: bigger. Stronger. Still slow footed. Back up Garrett: mr glue. Love his game. Oddly invisible tonight though. Scared shitless to shoot though. Drive it, man!

• @jayhawkcsg -Think there is a very good chance for him as a redshirt , It’s all about numbers - Good player , Gonna be a very good player , BUT even in these exhibitions we have seen how his minutes was played in both games. He doesn’t redshirt this year – -it’s a wasted year for him. - Why not redshirt when if you don’t your buried in the rotation/ - - be the 8th-9th man in the rotation , again his minutes even in these exhibition you saw when he was coming on the floor and the amount of minutes he was playing, he redshirts this year - -a lot more next year, ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayhawkcsg Some thoughts on your thoughts.

KJ is a 4, I would bet Self knows this, but KJ has a lot of pride and thinks he is a guard. Could this cause tension all year? I hope not. He’s a good enough option at the 4 if he’s willing to bang. He could serve as a back-up to his brother as well as play with him (as the two bigs).

I think a lot of it with Doke is adjusting to the two big system. He looked a fair bit better against Washburn. He got the crap hacked out of him both games. With an honest whistle, he’s probably shooting 18+ ft both games. But I get letting things go a bit in these exhibitions. A huge key for Doke will be passing it back out of the post. He was a little better last night, but still a few times went up with the ball instead of finding a wide open shooter on the wing or in the corner.

As for Vick, I’m not really surprised. Driving the ball just isn’t in his DNA.

I love what I see from Dotson as well. He could be a HUGE problem by his JR year. This year he just needs to contribute well enough, move the ball along, drive when he can.

I’ve been talking about how Grimes has that Selden drift to him. I’m thinking it will be like that all year. When the chips are down though, when it’s a big game and the team needs him? Self will push him then, and get the best out of him. He can absolutely be a special player. A shame he is so set on being OAD, I think he’d really benefit from more time under Self.

I would be stunned if Agbaji doesn’t RS. He seems to be willing and in for the long haul which is good. He will be a factor as early as next year and like Bill said, he’s gonna rack up a lot of stats before he is done at KU.

Big Dave should be a testament to how bad the 2018 class was. No offense to Dave, who is a great kid. But McDAA and top 30? He will be good in time but his ranking has put unrealistic expectations on him from portions of the fan base (not you, of course).

Mitch shouldn’t be near the court with this roster, but if KJ isn’t going to hustle, then Mitch should get more minutes.

I’ve been high on Garrett and his overall game. He was okay last night but if he is a non-factor on offense and playing 25 minutes a night, that’s going to be an issue. Hopefully he gets it together on that end, I’d like to see him drive more.

• KU looked awful overall last night. I’ll take it with a grain of salt but I was not expecting that effort in the first half. I knew this would be a work in progress so I’m not even sure what I’m upset about.

We better hope Dedric can get 25 against Sparty and carry this team early. Will be interesting to see how these guys respond on the big stage.

• @BShark Amen, brother. i think we’ll see a much better effort from KJ the next time out…if he gets minutes. He’s a 4 hiding out on the 3 line. As for Marcus, i think he’ll end up doing the Dotson, and making his noise on drives to the basket. The biggest event last night was watching Dedric completely take over the game, and impose his will on them. The dude is a closer. I thought Charlie looked pretty good - with Vick, Charlie, and Dedric, we have a pretty formidable perimeter attack from 3. Of course, as Grimes gets his sea legs, he will be a force from 3 at some point in the season. My takeaway…the 4 out is not dead, and will be a mainstay in our attack. The feeds to Doke serve to give us easy baskets down low, and spreads out our shooters for 3 pointers. If we can get Doke to learn how to pass out of double teams better, we’re going to be very hard to guard.

• Some signs of encouragement with Doke last night, 3 assists and 2 turnovers. Hopefully in real games, teams can’t get away with hacking him as much.

• For those of you who are worried, here are Coach Self’s comments after the game…

HEAD COACH BILL SELF

Opening statement:

"I thought we were bad in the first half. I thought our starters played well and when we subbed, it was about even. I think the second half, gosh dang, our starters had the best ten minutes they’ve had all year. The 22-0 run, that was good. There were good things that happened, obviously. Quentin and Devon weren’t getting shots in the first half but they were obviously better in the second half. But I thought Lagerald, Dedric, Doke and Charlie all had pretty solid games."

Again remember tha KU went on a 22-0 run that extended to a 33-5 run. This team can play once it gets it rhythm together.

• @BShark yea, in complete agreement that KJ is a four, or at least he’s not a two. There was a bunch of offseason speculation that he would be in the small rotation. I can’t say I have a good feel for his skill set just yet. Hopefully he shows us a lot more than he has already. Gotta have some talent to average 12 and 8, right?

As per Vick…man, to have that athletic body and ability and not put it to good use…

• The worry about KJ is that he was really inefficient at Memphis, he just played a lot.

• @jayballer73

I know Jayballer, he should redshirt. but Agbaji is my new favorite Jayhawk. Stud. Play him at the four over KJ!

• BShark said:

The worry about KJ is that he was really inefficient at Memphis, he just played a lot.

That was in full effect last night! But, don’t want to so down on the kid so early on. I’m sure he’ll help us win some games. Self, hopefully, will convince him to fit into the system, contribute with the skills that best fit the team.

• @jayhawkcsg I’m kind of glad KJ isn’t hitting on all cylinders. I want Vick to be entrenched at the 3. We’ll need KJ next year- this year he can get acclimated.

• @BShark nice gif. Learn so much from body language.

• @BShark

Vick has been a very pleasant surprise, he has lead, been vocal and playing hard and effectively. I guess his fling with the real world made him realize he has work do do and he is trying very hard to prepare himself for the next step.

• @BShark it’d be nice to be able to throw Silvio into that mix. Doesn’t look likely at this point though.

Big Dave and Ochai are going to be nice down the road. As Jrs this class should be tearing it up. (Ochai, McCormack, Dotson🤞)

• dylans said:

@BShark it’d be nice to be able to throw Silvio into that mix. Doesn’t look likely at this point though.

Big Dave and Ochai are going to be nice down the road. As Jrs this class should be tearing it up. (Ochai, McCormack, Dotson🤞)

I was actually just thinking year 3 Dotson/Ochai/Dave is a very nice core if we get to see it. Dotson is probably the only risk to blow up and leave early. McBride in year 2 will be interesting as well. You’d have a 🌩 PG with an excellent shooting CG, solid shooter at the wing and a behemoth down low.