2020 Recruiting



  • @BeddieKU23 I know he’s considering Northwestern too. That’s actually a good sign about the kid. I don’t know his mom very well. If I see Howard at the game, maybe I’ll say hi to him like I did a few years ago when I was watching Markese Jacobs.

    Of course the kid has Wisconsin on his list so I might tell him UW is a nice fall back school if KU doesn’t work out.

    To be honest, as an Illinois native, and Illini fan, but not fanatic growing up, I would love to see Illinois basketball become relevant again so if he ends up there, that wouldn’t be the end of the world in my mind.

    Goodness, if I meet him, I’m gonna confuse him.



  • @wissox

    If I remember correctly Howard knows his mom really well. I know Illinois has made him a priority. I definitely see him as a fit at KU and I hope we continue to recruit.



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    @wissox

    If I remember correctly Howard knows his mom really well. I know Illinois has made him a priority. I definitely see him as a fit at KU and I hope we continue to recruit.

    KU will have some good guard options in 2020. Self needs to not overplay his hand though, and take good players that are ready to commit.



  • After watching Adam Miller last night, we must get.



  • wissox said:

    After watching Adam Miller last night, we must get.

    He’s a special talent for sure.



  • Rivals with a Ty Berry update. Doesn’t seem like a big priority for KU right now.

    Ty Berry’s junior season, from a team perspective, hasn’t started the way he had hoped as Newton (Kan.) is off to a 2-4 start. However, the class of 2020 Rivals150 point guard is off to a pretty strong start personally, as he’s averaging 26 points, 5 assists and 5 rebounds per game through his first six games.

    On the recruiting side, Berry has all the usual suspects in the Midwest coming after him. The junior mentioned Purdue, Wichita State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Kansas, Creighton, Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri as schools actively involved in recruiting him. He’s taken recent trips to Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Nebraska and Wichita State, and plans to see Creighton and Missouri soon.

    IN HIS OWN WORDS Berry broke down some of the programs who have been active in his recruitment.

    Iowa: “I liked Iowa. It was cool. I had a good time. I liked the coaching staff a lot.”

    Iowa State: “Iowa State was really cool, too. Coach (Steve) Prohm and his staff were really friendly and they just try to get good guys up there.”

    Kansas: “I actually went up to Late Night at the Phog there. I mean, Kansas is Kansas. They are tough as always and a great program.”

    Kansas State: “(Bruce Weber) came to some of our practices, so I’ve talked to him a little bit. He’s cool. They have definitely stepped up the last couple years.”

    Nebraska: “I went there for a football game. It was cool. I like coach (Tim) Miles. He’s a cool dude. He has a lot of energy.”

    Purdue: “They are a pretty tough team in the Big Ten every year. I haven’t been up there yet, but they’ve come to my school to see me. I’ve watched them a good bit this year. They play fast and smart and push the ball. I like that.”

    RIVALS’ REACTION At this point in the process, Berry says he’s completely open to all the schools recruiting him and is nowhere near making a decision. This is one of those cases though where it’s probably wise to follow the visits. Both Iowa schools seem to be gaining a lot of traction with him, as well as Nebraska. Purdue is another school he spoke very highly of. Things can always change, but early on Berry looks like a player who could make it out of his home state of Kansas



  • KU has jumped into the mix for Matur Maker cousin of one-time KU prospect Thon Maker.

    1. What 2020 player has raised his stock the most and where does he stand in his recruitment?

    This is an easy answer for me, seven-footer Makur Maker has put himself into the conversation of 2020’s most elite prospects and will push for the national top five next time we update rankings. The cousin of the Milwaukee Bucks’ Thon Maker and former four-star big man Matur Maker, can do a little bit of everything. He’s got deep shooting range, can handle the ball, is becoming a shot blocker and presents nightmare matchup issues.

    His recruitment is just starting to take off. UCLA had been making a major play and I assume whoever takes over will do so as well. USC and Oregon recently offered and Kansas just jumped in this week. He’ll have everybody in the country checking in.



  • Lol





  • @BShark

    Any shot here realistically?

    Haven’t payed much attention to him as I assumed he was Duke’s…



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    @BShark

    Any shot here realistically?

    Haven’t payed much attention to him as I assumed he was Duke’s…

    I don’t think he even knows which sport he will play yet. I haven’t been following super closely either.

    KU will likely need a big class in 2020. Hopefully it is a bounceback class.



  • Sic Les on him too!



  • Just dropping by - - breezing through, I think we are keeping touch on this kid. - -Soph out of Wichita South East I think. - - Name is Jackie Johnson the 3rd. - - -got to see him play tonight out at the Topeka High Invitional.

    Looks pretty sweet. - - -Unbelievable court vision, really sweet passes. A Lefty - - -averaging 22 points a game in the Wichita City league - - went off for 22 tonight , shooting 50 % from the 3 on the season – could of had 30 easily tonight for sure got into a little foul trouble then finished up with like 4 minutes to go in the game - - - 4-5 from the free throw line - -shooting 70% from the line - - 3-5 from 3 tonight pretty sweet looking tonight. - -Hope we keep very close contact with him. - -Ok I’m out just passing through - -hope everyone is good cya – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY



  • jayballer73 said:

    Just dropping by - - breezing through, I think we are keeping touch on this kid. - -Soph out of Wichita South East I think. - - Name is Jackie Johnson the 3rd. - - -got to see him play tonight out at the Topeka High Invitional.

    Looks pretty sweet. - - -Unbelievable court vision, really sweet passes. A Lefty - - -averaging 22 points a game in the Wichita City league - - went off for 22 tonight , shooting 50 % from the 3 on the season – could of had 30 easily tonight for sure got into a little foul trouble then finished up with like 4 minutes to go in the game - - - 4-5 from the free throw line - -shooting 70% from the line - - 3-5 from 3 tonight pretty sweet looking tonight. - -Hope we keep very close contact with him. - -Ok I’m out just passing through - -hope everyone is good cya – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

    Yes he does play for Wichita southeast and yes he is a sophomore he is a good player for his age group



  • Seems like KU might have a shot with Johnny Juzang.



  • BShark said:

    Seems like KU might have a shot with Johnny Juzang.

    Also some talk of the kid Tristian Enaruna in this class of 2019 ranked like 86th I believe not for sure been some talk about him



  • BShark said:

    Seems like KU might have a shot with Johnny Juzang.

    Anything this is based on? What’s the connection here. I see the Meyer CB. Most recent video was okay. Great size for a wing. Zaire Williams in that same video looked like a D-1 player as well. Pulling Cali kids always seems like a waste of time but who knows.



  • Roy used to pull Cali kids but I understand your point.



  • Made RJ Hampton’s final 5: KU, Duke, Kentucky, TCU, Memphis. I think KU, Duke, and Memphis lead.



  • Well, at least we are still in it with this guy. I don’t think the door is closed on him ending up in 19 just yet either. Seems a lot of 20 kids are at least considering the move. Might open another 4-5 prospects KU might have a chance with in the spring.



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    Well, at least we are still in it with this guy. I don’t think the door is closed on him ending up in 19 just yet either. Seems a lot of 20 kids are at least considering the move. Might open another 4-5 prospects KU might have a chance with in the spring.

    Kid is a KU fan but we all know there are many more factors for his services.



  • BShark said:

    BeddieKU23 said:

    Well, at least we are still in it with this guy. I don’t think the door is closed on him ending up in 19 just yet either. Seems a lot of 20 kids are at least considering the move. Might open another 4-5 prospects KU might have a chance with in the spring.

    Kid is a KU fan but we all know there are many more factors for his services.

    Yeah $woo$h reasons



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    Well, at least we are still in it with this guy. I don’t think the door is closed on him ending up in 19 just yet either. Seems a lot of 20 kids are at least considering the move. Might open another 4-5 prospects KU might have a chance with in the spring.

    We won’t get him if it’s in 19 unless Grimes leaves. But I would love to get him and move Grimes to the 3 so he doesn’t have to defend guys that are quite as quick.



  • I hope we are in it til the end for Cade Cunningham. Teammate of KU targets Achiuwa and Beverly. Top 5 player in his class. Plays PG at 6’6 215’ish. KU offered in October. Not sure Barnes & Jalen Johnson are better then this guy.



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    I hope we are in it til the end for Cade Cunningham. Teammate of KU targets Achiuwa and Beverly. Top 5 player in his class. Plays PG at 6’6 215’ish. KU offered in October. Not sure Barnes & Jalen Johnson are better then this guy.

    alt text



  • Julian Strawther released his final 10 without KU on it. Oh well



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    Julian Strawther released his final 10 without KU on it. Oh well

    Damn. Looks like Marquette and Gonzaga are heavily involved. Figured it was a bad sign when he was taking visits early and KU wasn’t involved. I am guessing the staff was unwilling to go after him that strongly + early. Unfortunate.



  • Mark Few is clean tho…



  • @BShark

    He’s a fit at both programs.

    We have may backed off on some wings since Agbaji has become a star. 2020 class is loaded if everyone sticks. I guess there wasn’t enough mutual interest here. He has an absence of elite level programs on his list but he’s definitely a top shelf talent.



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    He has an absence of elite level programs on his list but he’s definitely a top shelf talent.

    Always interesting when this happens. There might be a red flag.



  • @BShark

    Agree. He has roamed around that 30 to 40 level in the ranks for a while. Maybe he feels like a bigger priority for those teams that usually get in deep with these types. Generally you don’t see the big boys come calling until summer for most underclassmen and it doesn’t seem like he’s going to wait for them to come calling. Might just be a different dude then we are used to seeing.



  • Made Scottie Barnes top 8. Weeeeee.



  • @BShark

    Wake me up to that one when he ends up at Duke/UK/insert ACC team



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    @BShark

    Wake me up to that one when he ends up at Duke/UK/insert ACC team

    Quack quack





  • Matt Scott @kutheshiver 11m 2020 phenom pg r.j. Hampton will begin his official visit to Kansas this week will be here for Saturday’s game vs Baylor



  • Well at least he is visiting. We can say that



  • @BeddieKU23 Indeed. We can hang a recruiting banner. “Got a visit from RJ Hampton”.



  • @BShark

    Not to be negative, I’m glad he’s visiting and he has some interest. I just don’t think the powers that be will let him end up anywhere but with a swoosh sign on it.



  • KU has a real shot in this one, assuming RJ comes in 2020. He probably won’t decide on a class until summer.



  • Arizona St doing that unofficial cheating thing where they add the less talented brother to get the 5 star brother. Josh Christopher is the player I’m talking about. His unranked brother just committed to ASU. KU has recruited Josh…likely to no avail



  • @BeddieKU23 KU would never take KJ to land Dedrick or any thing similar. 😝 I hope ASU gets stuck with the brother. I also wish I had a brother good enough to get me a scholarship! Remember when Blake Griffin was so good his brother got drafted into the NBA?



  • @dylans

    Sshhh its only right when we do it



  • Didn’t we do that or were going to w/a sister?



  • Crimsonorblue22 said:

    Didn’t we do that or were going to w/a sister?

    That’s been done.



  • https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Cottrell-46040560/

    This kid is making a official this weekend as well.



  • bout time KU got on getting Juniors to official



  • Woodrow said:

    https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Cottrell-46040560/

    This kid is making a official this weekend as well.

    Want.

    And I wonder if he would have the chance to reclass. We are going to need a big badly.



  • Sounds like doke won’t be back.

    Can Doke improve while sitting out? Self: "No, no I don’t see how you can better by just sitting and observing. … He’s still got the screw in hand." Self says Azubuike has to keep the cast on always – unless he’s just walking, but only if there isn’t ice on the ground. He does think he could be better next year just because he’s older… “I doubt we’re going to get a chance to witness that, though,” Self said.



  • @Crimsonorblue22 Yeah. I think Dedric and Doke are both 99.9% gone.

    Not expecting anything with Silvio of course. If an impact big isn’t added I could see Self scouring the grad transfer market. The back court next year will be really good and improved from this year but just Dave + Mitch up front is not close to enough.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to KU Buckets was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.