It's been too long

• This thread is for any Jayhawk fan that hasn’t been to a game in a long time for whatever reason. Last weekend, 33 years after I packed up my drumset after beating OSU to finish the Big 8 season in 1981, I was back in Allen Fieldhouse for the game against Texas. Just walking in and seeing the hallways (minus the track) started rushing many memories back. All the time spent trying to register. And mostly all the great games we had. The great crowds. Hardly lost at home.

Saturday was amazing to see the crowds, old and new traditions. Being there brought such a huge comfort level. I couldn’t stop smiling.

Then to see the players up close and personal in shoot around and warm ups. Wigs chatting to Conner. Embiid juggling the basketball 3 times with his feet before popping it up to his hands. Naa and Frank working on cuts with the ball. White, Greene, Frank, Naa and Conner shooting 3’s. Black, Jamari, Perry, Landon and even Mikelson in bigs drills with Coach Roberts who was smiling the whole time. I almost had to pinch myself to be sure I wasn’t dreaming.

Then we went on to pound the runner up in the conference Texas by 31 points. Awesome plays by most of the guys. To be there live is so much better than watching it on TV. Hearing the band during timeouts and how the fans still respond to it is amazing after all these years. And being a part of the crowd through it all. Losing my voice.

And I got to do it again on Monday against Oklahoma. Sat in the student GA section to be closer to the band. Whooshing with the best of them. Had to learn the moves though. Much tougher game for us and we pulled through. Lost my voice again.

IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TO A GAME IN A LONG TIME, YOU NEED TO FIND A WAY TO GET BACK AND WITNESS THE MAGIC. IT DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THAN ALLEN FIELDHOUSE AND KANSAS BASKETBALL! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

• @eastcoasthawk I was at those games too! Want to add the pre-game videos in w/your hi lights. Gives me goose bumps every time! I will be there wed. Can’t wait, but sad to see the seniors and OAD’s go.

• Much agreed … a picture from my seats at a game I attended this season. Nothing like it. AFH.12.30.13.jpg

• @HighEliteMajor

Rockin’ photo!

• @eastcoasthawk I had a similar experience a few years ago. I went to the Michigan game that December after not having been at the Phog for maybe 25 years. I almost got choked up during the Rock Chalk chant. I couldn’t believe how electric the place was and I felt so lucky to be an Alum. I went back the following year for USC game (Selby’s first game) and told myself I would try to get back for one game a year. I missed a couple of years and then went back this year for the Georgetown game. When the schedule comes out for this year, I am going to try to schedule a trip back in December this year and bring my adult son. He hasn’t adopted our Jayhawks since he has never lived in Kansas, but he is a sports fan and would appreciate the atmosphere. I know exactly how you felt at that game. There is not place like Allen Field House.