Are our colors starting to return?

• The United States of America has been all but united the past few years. Years prior to that I’d say our colors were red, white and blue. A few weeks ago our colors were white, black and yellow. They were those colors because of hate. We’ve seen many riots for various reasons, that have lead to cities being burned to the ground, police officers murdered and people ran over with cars. On the news the last week or so since hurricane Harvey hit I’ve seen hope. Hope, that maybe the world that I brought my son in to may just make it after all. People of all different shapes, sizes, races and religions helping each other out in their time of need, not worried about who they voted for last November. We must learn to move forward from this in several ways, let’s not go back to hating. Let’s go back to being United… all the time.

• @kjayhawks That picture of the white cop carrying the two little black kids out of the flooding house–their vulnerability and trust; his strength and certainty–moved me beyond measure.

And then I realized that I wasn’t sure if I remembered it right. Maybe it was a black cop and white kids? There have been so many pictures, so many selfless rescues… Suddenly I wasn’t sure, and that made me realize the same thing you are talking about.

• I just can’t wrap my head around the hatred in this country and world. People are people. I can’t IMAGINE a rescuer saying "Oops - you’re (insert race/religion/political party) Sorry - you have to stay and drown, I’m not going to help you. Are there people like that??? Shoot I would (probably) even rescue someone wearing a “Mizzou” t-shirt. The “probably” was just because I’m sarcastic. I would definitely do it.

• @nuleafjhawk Plus, if you rescue a Fizzou person it means you will still have them around to make fun of.

• @nuleafjhawk and then you would give him a dry KU shirt!🤣

• @nuleafjhawk Oh yeah, I’d rescue the mizzou person, because with that act, you just might have changed his perspective about Jayhawks or KU people. And if he truly was drowning, he’ll be thinking about what a jayhawk did for him the rest of his days.

I do small scale versions of this sort of “turn their world upside down”, when wearing ku stuff, I hand out a little KSU token, or key chain, or tiny stuffed WillieWildcat to a little Kstate kid. Just blew up whatever purple-fed hate he’d been learning…sometimes the look on Ma or Pa purple’s face is just priceless, as they now got some explaining to do back at home, lol. Taking the “we in KS sure do appreciate what Bill Snyder’s done”, turns those cat people into…well…quiet mice. Scurry off now.

• @JayhawkerRedLegs I was at a KC Chiefs game 8 or 9 years ago (in December and it was about a million degrees below zero) and bundled up in every piece of warm clothing that I own. The final layer was a very heavy KU coat and a KU stocking cap. As I was leaving after the game, some guy in front of me dropped a blanket and I picked it up and handed it back to him. It was a big, stupid, black & gold Mizzou blanket. He looked at me like I was from another planet - and thanked me very genuinely.

Then I thought “would I have picked it up if i had realized that it was a Mizzou blanket?” I hope so.

• @nuleafjhawk u would have! Maybe left a lil something special on it!👃